Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Music streaming revenues


DTMark

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the reply. Genuinely interested to see how this all works.

With what I do - creating websites and apps - I get to see what people do with their time and how they make their money. This particular subject is one I know nothing about but I have found myself wondering just how artists other than say Jay Z, Drake, Rihanna - the big names - make money.

Clearly there are some, I suppose like the ones above, who make a lot of money. I even saw perfume "by Rihanna" in the shops at the weekend. Didn't know she had expertise in fragrance chemistry. She must be more talented than I had thought (tongue-in-cheek).

This particular artist has diversified, starting her own digital music label and a school for DJs and producers and performs regular live DJ sets/nights. There's clearly some commercial acumen going on there. She just happens to be my all-time favourite single musical artist and a large part of my inspiration for learning Italian.

Had never heard the term "baggy" before.. The haystack may be "planet sized" but if the flip-side of that, that people can "break through" if innovative enough in a way that so-called "ordinary people" couldn't do before?

BTW "Fahrenheit" is excellent. Bit of Bill Withers there? (taps side of head to search around for musical parallels outside of comfort zones) I'm not sure if that compliment means that much coming from someone predominantly into electronica, but then my musical tutor (!) has seen me pick out certain things from music way outside my genre which are special. I could very well imagine that in an advert or show.

If anyone fancies having a look at the site and giving some feedback please drop me a PM - it would be rude to put the (temporary, in progress) URL on here before she's even seen it. Actually your feedback would be welcome. This is a slightly unusual site for us to do and with my JavaScript guy taking an early break  found myself spending an hour to get the page to scroll up and down to anchors with that accelerating smooth effect :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, shindigger said:

 

Maybe someone will use Fahrenheit on an ad in the States. That'd do me.

 

An acquaintance of mine basically lives off the proceeds of a single he wrote in the 1960's, it was used in an ad a couple of years ago and he said that was him now set for the rest of this life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Yup. I'd call that a win.

Indeed. 

Although it was a hit in the 60's in the US, Top Ten level and the advert was shown during the Superbowl which cost around $5 million for 30 seconds, so not some random song on a cat food ad. It's also been on various film soundtracks which I suspect has seen him OK for a while. 

All down to luck really, I'm sure there are plenty of amazing tracks out there that nobody has heard of. I got Croak when you posted it on here and there are plenty on there given the right environment would be successful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gilf said:

Indeed. 

Although it was a hit in the 60's in the US, Top Ten level and the advert was shown during the Superbowl which cost around $5 million for 30 seconds, so not some random song on a cat food ad. It's also been on various film soundtracks which I suspect has seen him OK for a while. 

All down to luck really, I'm sure there are plenty of amazing tracks out there that nobody has heard of. I got Croak when you posted it on here and there are plenty on there given the right environment would be successful. 

Thanks for buying Croak, i highly appreciate that, and the good words.

I pushed the boat out on that album, and we recorded with Pat  "Walkin On Sunshine" Collier. I always wanted to record with him back in the 80's but his studio in Hoxton was £300 a day in 1989. Shuffle forward to 2014 and hes still charging £300 a day. There's the music industry right there in that stat.

Band has now fizzled and im working solo at home. Happy enough.

You're right, form the days when i was at maybe 2 gigs a week, when living in London, i can vouch for how many talented original bands that never saw the light of day.

Even though a few attained more than we did, it still didn't amount to much. You may be aware of The Prisoners? To this day i can still not get my head around how they didnt cut it, at least on the wider indie circuit. They were hugely popular and loved within their circle. Brilliant live.

Another band i saw a lot was The Deep Season, who got a deal with Columbia, had an album produced by Guy Chambers, and then sank without trace. But there were so many bands that could have cracked it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

If you could write a novelty Christmas song, or a winners/champions type song that was moderately catchy, then you'd be on to a winner...

I tried to write one of those scandinavian pop factory ballad tunes as a commercial venture a few years back.

Massive over production, stadium drums, saccharine empty words.

I sounded like a total helmet and stopped!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shindigger said:

I tried to write one of those scandinavian pop factory ballad tunes as a commercial venture a few years back.

Massive over production, stadium drums, saccharine empty words.

I sounded like a total helmet and stopped!

I would love to write a song that gets performed at Eurovision, just for the joy of it. I might see if I can write something that's off the cheese scale and try hawking it around Eastern Europe. All the songs I wrote for my music GCSE and the like were cheesy as, so I might still have the touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, shindigger said:

I tried to write one of those scandinavian pop factory ballad tunes as a commercial venture a few years back.

Massive over production, stadium drums, saccharine empty words.

I sounded like a total helmet and stopped!

I'd be interested to hear it. I mean, 'Shout Out To My Ex' got plenty of airplay this year, FFS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'd be interested to hear it. I mean, 'Shout Out To My Ex' got plenty of airplay this year, FFS.

Its dreadul. its called Dynamite. I think i was hoping Robbie Williams "people" would pick it up. Yes that bad. Wasnt even good enough for him.

It must never be heard.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume Shakin' Stevens lives off the revenues from his "catalogue" most especially that Christmas one. Those fractions of a penny for the streaming must add up. Mind you it's probably past the royalty/copyright stage now since it was from the 1980s.

If I were to say that I have the 7" single of that but that it was bought by my mother I suspect nobody would believe the latter half of that sentence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I assume Shakin' Stevens lives off the revenues from his "catalogue" most especially that Christmas one. Those fractions of a penny for the streaming must add up. Mind you it's probably past the royalty/copyright stage now since it was from the 1980s.

If I were to say that I have the 7" single of that but that it was bought by my mother I suspect nobody would believe the latter half of that sentence.

Hmmm....

Roy Wood can pop out for three weeks a year, do his years work, then bugger off again...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

I assume Shakin' Stevens lives off the revenues from his "catalogue" most especially that Christmas one. Those fractions of a penny for the streaming must add up. Mind you it's probably past the royalty/copyright stage now since it was from the 1980s.

If I were to say that I have the 7" single of that but that it was bought by my mother I suspect nobody would believe the latter half of that sentence.

Shakin' Stevens released an album this year Echoes of Our Times which got quite good reviews

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/12/2016 at 10:20 AM, gilf said:

Indeed. 

Although it was a hit in the 60's in the US, Top Ten level and the advert was shown during the Superbowl which cost around $5 million for 30 seconds, so not some random song on a cat food ad. It's also been on various film soundtracks which I suspect has seen him OK for a while. 

All down to luck really, I'm sure there are plenty of amazing tracks out there that nobody has heard of. I got Croak when you posted it on here and there are plenty on there given the right environment would be successful. 

I think film soundtracks are a pretty hefty payday. I sold a car to someone who was only one member of a middling success, at the time, nineties dance music act. He was buying a car because one of their tracks was used in a movie soundtrack and he got an unexpected windfall of, I can't remember how much exactly but, at least £50k. I can't remember which film either but I did watch it and their track was like one of two, just over the end credits or something.

When you think Peter Kay got the guy, who did the Phoenix Nights music, out of classifieds in Loot, or something, it does seem like Hollywood movies don't half throw some money around. Although should expect it really as I've had quite a few big money sales of stuff for TV and film sets over the years myself.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/12/2016 at 11:39 AM, Dave Beans said:

If you could write a novelty Christmas song, or a winners/champions type song that was moderately catchy, then you'd be on to a winner...

I wonder if they ever regret not making the lyrics for this a bit more corporate ad friendly - although would think they get something from the Father Ted repeats maybe

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/12/2016 at 11:39 PM, shindigger said:

Thanks very much. :)

On "Croak" there is, in my opinion, a much better version of Fahrenheit, with female vox on.

I wrote all the tunes, and played guitar on em, but didn't sing on either version of Fahrenheit.

Grabbed Fahrenheit. I regularly get Amazon no rush shipping credit to spend on MP3s. I'll add you to my list of struggling artists to spend it on. Perhaps Crack up Boom could be the HPC anthem and earn you massive spondolicks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

I think film soundtracks are a pretty hefty payday. I sold a car to someone who was only one member of a middling success, at the time, nineties dance music act. He was buying a car because one of their tracks was used in a movie soundtrack and he got an unexpected windfall of, I can't remember how much exactly but, at least £50k. I can't remember which film either but I did watch it and their track was like one of two, just over the end credits or something.

When you think Peter Kay got the guy, who did the Phoenix Nights music, out of classifieds in Loot, or something, it does seem like Hollywood movies don't half throw some money around. Although should expect it really as I've had quite a few big money sales of stuff for TV and film sets over the years myself.

 

 

I'll try and not sour the conversation, but Gary Glitter still makes around £250k a year from Rock & Roll - Part 2...It's used massively in the NFL, even after his crimes are well known...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/12/2016 at 9:44 PM, shindigger said:

I do no publicity, dont gig, the only links to my work are on my personal twitter page. I've made about $200 dollars in 18 months.

 

That is not a lot. I've got Utube videos that have done as much thru ads.

There was a guy who had a record shop near me who used to get a monthly cheque from the recording rights people for a couple of singles he did in the 60s - I can't imagine who played them. Kept his loss making record shop running

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I'll try and not sour the conversation, but Gary Glitter still makes around £250k a year from Rock & Roll - Part 2...It's used massively in the NFL, even after his crimes are well known...

I don't think Gary Glitter is that well known in the US, Rock and Roll reached number 7 there, his next single 35 and then didn't chart with anything again (despite 10 UK top tens and 3 number 1s), only ever released one album there which reached 186. The very definition of one hit wonder and so I'd imagine a huge portion of the population know the track, but not who did it and so of course nothing about his background as I doubt it ever made the papers there at all.  

As for my associate (I'm very friendly with him just wouldn't be presumptuous to call him a friend), the song in question was Men in Black 3 so about as big budget as you can get, as you say they can and do pay huge sums for music in films you often hear stories of directors desperately wanting a particular track and having to pay through the nose to get it in the film. Haven't seen the film and I doubt I'd have noticed the song in question (i'd never heard of it until I tracked it down when he mentioned it), but depends if it was integral to a particular scene where only that track would do. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Grabbed Fahrenheit. I regularly get Amazon no rush shipping credit to spend on MP3s. I'll add you to my list of struggling artists to spend it on. Perhaps Crack up Boom could be the HPC anthem and earn you massive spondolicks?

Cheers SSC. Nice one!

Yes somewhere on here is a post when we finished Crack Up Boom Back in 2011, i think?? Injin liked it....

I also sent it to Max Keiser, full of 45 year old optimism....Nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, davidg said:

That is not a lot. I've got Utube videos that have done as much thru ads.

There was a guy who had a record shop near me who used to get a monthly cheque from the recording rights people for a couple of singles he did in the 60s - I can't imagine who played them. Kept his loss making record shop running

No, youre right its sod all.

I ought to get out more, but ive been in bands since i was 18 and i have to say i dont miss the company of musos at-all.

I have thought about the odd open mic, but in deepest Dorset, there ain't much call for tha sorta theng round ere moi luvver.....

They all just want to blast pheasants out of the sky at about 30 yards. Sport they call it.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:16 AM, stormymonday_2011 said:

Shakin' Stevens released an album this year Echoes of Our Times which got quite good reviews

 

Don't mind that. Like the piano. I just get the feeling those riffs have been done before so many times in more memorable tracks.

A bit like Rick Astley, maybe. The "50" album (new-ish) is listenable, some of it is decent, but you get the impression that much more is possible.

Like Domino's Pizza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.