House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Van

Westminster Council Jobs Relocation

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/westmin...dingwall-230106

More than 400 workers at Westminster City Council offices are threatening strike action after a shock announcement on Friday that they are to be evicted from their offices. The staff were outsourced by the council to a private company in 2002, and have been told they must relocate to Dingwall in the far north of Scotland, or face redundancy.

This is what Blair's 3rd way and Brown's "miracle" economy has come down to: ramp up public spending, outsource everyone who is outsourceable to improve bottom line figures, and then ship them off to the other end of the country.

While I sympathize with the workers to a degree, that is the sort of threat that hangs over many of us in the private sector, and if the our taxes keep going up to pour into a bottomless public sector pit, then it's poetic justice in a way that they should occassionally face the pain that we in the private sector do. None of them will go, of course - they'll just leave and eventually find other jobs in London, as it should be.

One thing about outsourcing of services to consultancies is that so often over-looked is the requirement of these consultancies that their staff are prepared to work all over the place for numerous clients so...

For example, someone works in a council somewhere because he or she likes living in that part of the World, is even prepared to take a reduced salary to do so as he/she can be home by 6PM each night and have a life. Then, some bean counter outsources the dept to some 'consultancy' and before you know it, at best, the outsourced staff are expected to work for numerous clients, travelling all over the place and being away from home 4 nights a week. It is a pretty crap life then.

One thing about outsourcing of services to consultancies is that so often over-looked is the requirement of these consultancies that their staff are prepared to work all over the place for numerous clients so...

For example, someone works in a council somewhere because he or she likes living in that part of the World, is even prepared to take a reduced salary to do so as he/she can be home by 6PM each night and have a life. Then, some bean counter outsources the dept to some 'consultancy' and before you know it, at best, the outsourced staff are expected to work for numerous clients, travelling all over the place and being away from home 4 nights a week. It is a pretty crap life then.

This is what Gordon - and Digby Jones et al - mean when they talk about the UK's "flexible workforce" giving us an edge....they mean "least unionised and most exploitable". Germans and French supermarket workers aren't stupid enough to work "split shifts" or "as required".

Jobs going to scotland !

Time the scots told the UK where to go and kept it's oil revenue and told the UK to keep it's bull$hit left-wing jobs.

Big mistake moving that wall you scots

Jobs going to scotland !

Time the scots told the UK where to go and kept it's oil revenue and told the UK to keep it's bull$hit left-wing jobs.

Big mistake moving that wall you scots

...haven't you heard on this forum that the world's 8th largest oil producer (population 5mil) would be a financial cripple outside of the UK?? Just like Norway ($130Billion in the bank for a rainy day and second highest standard of living in the world)...

...haven't you heard on this forum that the world's 8th largest oil producer (population 5mil) would be a financial cripple outside of the UK??

Them Scots must be real stupid not to rise up and do something.

What does Great Britain Mean

Wales should do the same thing.

Irland is doing better, just the HPC will be bigger than here

Them Scots must be real stupid not to rise up and do something.

What does Great Britain Mean

Wales should do the same thing.

Indeed, by dislocating the net drain of Scotland, Wales and N.I. just think of all the potential HPI money that will be sloshing around in England :rolleyes:

BuyingBear

it's not just NI and scotland, i'm in europe and so many brits have moved here that it’s becoming an embarrassment. No need to learn the local language if you get what I mean.

Europe is picking nicely and apparently most brits want out. Sounds like they don’t have the balls to me.

Even the shops are stocking food from the UK now, still i love tesco's

Edited by Justice

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/westmin...dingwall-230106

More than 400 workers at Westminster City Council offices are threatening strike action after a shock announcement on Friday that they are to be evicted from their offices. The staff were outsourced by the council to a private company in 2002, and have been told they must relocate to Dingwall in the far north of Scotland, or face redundancy.

This is what Blair's 3rd way and Brown's "miracle" economy has come down to: ramp up public spending, outsource everyone who is outsourceable to improve bottom line figures, and then ship them off to the other end of the country.

While I sympathize with the workers to a degree, that is the sort of threat that hangs over many of us in the private sector, and if the our taxes keep going up to pour into a bottomless public sector pit, then it's poetic justice in a way that they should occassionally face the pain that we in the private sector do. None of them will go, of course - they'll just leave and eventually find other jobs in London, as it should be.

I don't think they should strike, that'll just give the outsourcer an excuse to sack 'em.

Let's have some reality here; this 'relocation' is simply a piece of b*stardry designed to generate resignations so the beancounting management pr*cks don't break their outsourcing agreement and/or don't have to make redundancy payments.

It isn't even subtle; you could conceive of corporate amalgamation outside high-rent London, but Dingwall??? For Chrissake, Dingwall's a small town in the North of Scotland.

There was a lot of fuss locally when a call centre was told their contract would be moved to India a few months ago, I think this may explain this news. They do not want people to relocate.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=82132006

In my previous post I was half way through writing that the best solution was for the staff en masse to accept the relocation and call the management's bluff, when it occurred to me that they might indeed be looking to move the business to an existing call centre which had just lost a contract.

It's still genuine b*stardry because management is lying to their workforce when it really matters. :angry:

Here in Australia the government has pushed through major changes to Industrial Relations legislation, supposedly to streamline things but actually to "increase employment flexibility". Lots of spin about how no management would dream of antagonising their valued workforce when it comes to negotiating terms of employment.

Bolleaux to that IMHO. Lord Acton's dictum is going to apply in spades when management has real power over employment conditions.

I'm surprised we haven't seen RFD on the thread yet BTW. He usually goes bananas over this stuff.

I'm surprised we haven't seen RFD on the thread yet BTW. He usually goes bananas over this stuff.

Probably still in the "honeymoon" phase with his new steed.

Those particular cars are rather addictive.

:)

And? Many, many people in the private sector face the same problem, and many are seeing their jobs either shipped abroad or replaced by cheap foreign workers in the UK: why should council employees be treated any better than the people who pay their wages?

Edited by MarkG