House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Selective licensing Crumpsall

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/article/7582/crumpsall_s_selective_licensing_area_has_been_confirmed

Licensing privately rented properties includes mandatory conditions to ensure good management of private properties, including:

- An up to date gas and electric safety certificate

- Safe condition of electrical appliances

- Fitted smoke detectors in a working condition

- Providing the tenant with a written tenancy agreement

- Demand a reference for prospective tenants

- The city council can also attach specific conditions to improve specific issues

A landlord must apply for a licence if they rent a property in the licensable area and can be fined for not obtaining a licence.

My issue with selective licensing is that the laws are in already place for LL to be obliged to only rent out safe, habitable properties.
Env Health can and do enforce action to improve properties which make properties better for tenants.

When it's for 400 properties like this scheme then you have to ask, can the problem not be solved in some other way? By leafleting properties to let tenants know their rights and how to deal with bad landlords?

You can wipe a man's **** for him and he has a clean **** for a day, or you can teach him how to wipe his own and he can have a clean **** forever.

Landlords evict tenants who challenge them. Whilst section 21 of the AST exists they can keep doing it. For some a challenge could be a tenant repeatedly requesting a tenancy agreement when it's the landlord's policy not to do this - about half in my experience.  Individual tenants have no power; legislation on landlords is the only way to reign them in.

2 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

Landlords evict tenants who challenge them. Whilst section 21 of the AST exists they can keep doing it. For some a challenge could be a tenant repeatedly requesting a tenancy agreement when it's the landlord's policy not to do this - about half in my experience.  Individual tenants have no power; legislation on landlords is the only way to reign them in.

But this doesn't stop that.

The courts need to be encouraged to take action to stop that sort of retaliatory action.
They should then deem a LL an unfit person to be a LL.

I have been to court 3 times to try and stop retaliatory eviction under section 21. The judge's reactions ranged from amusement to irritation to anger. Brought up the article 8 Human Rights Act/proportionality defence on at least one of the cases, as some tenants have had success with that, but I couldn't secure a solicitor to help me so the judge just ignored it. Message: know your place tenant! 

When Thatcher brought in the AST in 1988 she returned tenants to their second ( or even third?) class status. The renting laws need a complete overhaul. I think licensing is a good start.

7 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

The renting laws need a complete overhaul. I think licensing is a good start.

Start with the renting laws and not the licensing. Then it applies to everyone.