House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Taxey for...everyone

I heard an interview on the Today Programme on R4 this week where they interviewed a "care provider" who was threatening withdrawal of services from councils across the UK due to Councils' underfunding.

The interviewee kept saying that their company could not pay their staff less than £16 per hour as this was the living wage and councils were not funding that, and to expect the company to pay less was asking them to break the law. The figures went unchallenged.

3 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I heard an interview on the Today Programme on R4 this week where they interviewed a "care provider" who was threatening withdrawal of services from councils across the UK due to Councils' underfunding.

The interviewee kept saying that their company could not pay their staff less than £16 per hour as this was the living wage and councils were not funding that, and to expect the company to pay less was asking them to break the law. The figures went unchallenged.

£16 sounds about right right for the total cost of employing staff at the living wage,which I imagine is what they were referring to.

Care homes are the victim of property prices.

All bought out by PE types, properties remortgaged to the max, dividends payed to the owners, then run on a shoestring with no spare capacity. Increase the minimum wage, increase employer pension contributions and you've destroyed the business model. Easier to close and sell the site for housing then keep it running.

My grandads care home makes a loss at £600 a week per (non-dementia) resident. I don't see how they can make a profit really.

12 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

The government stood up to the miners and steel workers but wont stand up to the grannies

7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

£16 sounds about right right for the total cost of employing staff at the living wage,which I imagine is what they were referring to.

Is it breaking the law to pay below £16 an hour when the living wage is £7.20. the interviewee was very plain that the living wage was £16 an hour. It would be interesting to know what they pay their employees.

15 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Is it breaking the law to pay below £16 an hour when the living wage is £7.20. the interviewee was very plain that the living wage was £16 an hour. It would be interesting to know what they pay their employees.

i doubt they are actually paying £16, it still seems more likely he mistakenly quoted total employment.

27 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

i doubt they are actually paying £16, it still seems more likely he mistakenly quoted total employment.

He may well have mistaken his figures. But he was speaking on behalf of his business on national radio, so he was either deliberately disingenuous or he misunderstood his business. I suspect the provider is paying £7.20 an hour, or less than £16 at least. So maybe he should cut his own pay if councils cannot afford his business model.

Edited by LiveinHope

10 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In case people dont get it yet....GET THE F**K OUT OF DODGE(Y)

I'm afraid I don't get that :huh:

If you mean 'get out of the UK', I will be having discussions in the New Year about a project that 'may' lead to emigration if the project is a good challenge, and I never thought I'd leave; I've had plenty of requests to move abroad for work in the the past but the UK's outdoors has always held me back, and at the cost of better salaries. Now, the disadvantages of living in the UK economy outweigh the advantages of the outdoors (the economy and scamming frustrates me so much that I find I can't enjoy the outdoors), and I've also found a country that I like.

Edited by LiveinHope

1 hour ago, LiveinHope said:

I'm afraid I don't get that :huh:

Yes, meaning leave the UK.  They wont stop the immigration, they will tax us into the ground ( there already IMHO ) and the bankers will continue to rob us.

There is little hope or future for any productive person in the UK. 

18 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Yes, meaning leave the UK.  They wont stop the immigration, they will tax us into the ground ( there already IMHO ) and the bankers will continue to rob us.

There is little hope or future for any productive person in the UK. 

It's a shame, I really don't want to leave as the outdoors has so much to offer, but I just don't enjoy 'living here' any more.

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Say some (moneyweek I think) video last year talking about the taxation is coming the peoples way.

They've nicked your savings now they want everything else

http://news.sky.com/story/ministers-approve-6-hike-in-council-tax-bills-to-help-fund-social-care-10695537

Avoid that one by emigrating.

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In case people dont get it yet....GET THE F**K OUT OF DODGE(Y)

I left the uk 6 months ago, for new zealand. Don't miss much about the uk, but am finding that making new friends in your mid 30s is not as easy as it was when I was in my 20s and everyone was still out partying. 

Once you get to the age most people have kids, it gets a lot more difficult to establish a new social circle. I've made lots of nice acquaintances, but that's the thing that's going to be difficult I think. Especially around Christmas, you do question why you are so far from your family and a life's worth of friends - even if your friends became more obsessed with hpi mad gainz than you would have liked

8 minutes ago, Foreverblowingbubbles said:

I left the uk 6 months ago, for new zealand. Don't miss much about the uk, but am finding that making new friends in your mid 30s is not as easy as it was when I was in my 20s and everyone was still out partying. 

Once you get to the age most people have kids, it gets a lot more difficult to establish a new social circle. I've made lots of nice acquaintances, but that's the thing that's going to be difficult I think. Especially around Christmas, you do question why you are so far from your family and a life's worth of friends - even if your friends became more obsessed with hpi mad gainz than you would have liked

I would be overseas in a shot if it wasn't for my elderly parents that I need to keep an eye on and a circle of friends I would miss (and have missed before when I went to Asia for 13 months..). It is not as easy as p1ssing off just because tptb annoy you with their appalling antics....

18 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I would be overseas in a shot if it wasn't for my elderly parents that I need to keep an eye on and a circle of friends I would miss (and have missed before when I went to Asia for 13 months..). It is not as easy as p1ssing off just because tptb annoy you with their appalling antics....

I agree. But really, my mental health will be so much better abroad in the right country, which only goes to show how much this country and I have diverged. I actually think receiving a £100 fine this week for a parking meter that didn't register my payment to park for 30 mins is the final straw.

Edited by LiveinHope

15 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Yeah, my parents are in their mid 60s,and I have this scary feeling that without noticing it 10 years will pass, they'll suddenly be 'old old', and I'll regret not being there to spend more time with them when they were still active. 

None of this is to say that new zealand isn't amazing, but it still has problems of its own - as do all the English speaking countries. I'd recommend living abroad, but it obviously isn't some panacea. 

1 hour ago, Foreverblowingbubbles said:

Yeah, my parents are in their mid 60s,and I have this scary feeling that without noticing it 10 years will pass, they'll suddenly be 'old old', and I'll regret not being there to spend more time with them when they were still active. 

None of this is to say that new zealand isn't amazing, but it still has problems of its own - as do all the English speaking countries. I'd recommend living abroad, but it obviously isn't some panacea. 

You could ocmpromise by living aboard - Greece perhaps, but earning trading in the UK.

I like Greece and the Greeks. Of course, it goes without saying, they should not be let any where near credit. Just not the culture  for it.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

You could ocmpromise by living aboard - Greece perhaps, but earning trading in the UK.

I like Greece and the Greeks. Of course, it goes without saying, they should not be let any where near credit. Just not the culture  for it.

My partner is a psychiatrist, so we really had to live in an English speaking country where British Medical degrees are recognized. 

I previously lived in berlin, which I loved, but she couldn't realistically get work there

Back on topic, agree it's ironic that taxes for the people are being raised, whilst taxes for business are being cut. But as tptb keep telling us,  you can't risk 'scaring off business' with taxes can you?! 

Working on the assumption if you tell a lie enough times, it will become truth. 

When exactly did our political system get taken over by big business? Can anyone put a clear event on it, or it's always been like that and I was just naiive in my youth? 

Council tax is probably the worst of all taxes because you get so little for it.Its mostly spent on pensions and sick pay for the staff.In my area a huge chunk of people get council tax benefit so keep voting for Labour councils who keep putting it up.Now it seems the Tory government are no defence for people who work,or have a few savings.They are happy to steal every last penny as well.Of course the main home isnt counted when people get this care for free.So once again the lower paid and renters are shelling out for people with paid for property that is then passed on to their children.Like every other part of our welfare system a disgrace.

Amazon and their ilk pay no tax on billions of profit here,yet minimum wage workers are expected to hand increases that are double their pay increases.MPs seem to of forgot the brexit vote and its business as usual.

7 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

I heard that interview. What was actually said was that in order to pay a care worker a wage of £7.20 per hour, the actual cost which would need to be charged to the payer would be £16.70 per hour.  Apparently, the calculation was from an industry body, so while not unbiased, is independent to the company represented by the interviewee.

I've heard it said before that the cost to a business of an employee is roughly double the nominal hourly rate paid to the employee (I would expect this to be more at the lower end, and less at the higher end). There are hidden costs in terms of employer's NI contributions, pension contributions, adjustments to the hourly rate to account for paid leave, additional costs such as statutory sick pay, and then there are all the business overheads, HR, payroll, etc. and recent rulings about paying staff for travel time/expenses between clients. 

I seem to remember a thread here recently, where someone was thinking of setting up a cleaning agency, and had worked out that the minimum he could feasibly charge was about £20/hour in order to pay all the overheads.