House Price Crash Forum

Pancreatic cancer (for a friend)

mikthe20

On 14/12/2016 at 9:44 PM, JoeDavola said:

Good point - if you're screwed anyway why go through the horrors of chemo.

Your post reminded me of this article, essential reading for everyone IMHO:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/pdf/How Doctors Die.pdf

Thanks Joe - was about the post the very same

Condolences to everyone who's been there

My only advice is get your relative/friend into a Marie Curie Hospice - the people working there are saints

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/12/2016 at 9:44 PM, JoeDavola said:

Good point - if you're screwed anyway why go through the horrors of chemo.

Your post reminded me of this article, essential reading for everyone IMHO:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/pdf/How Doctors Die.pdf

Thank you....my feelings also, try to avoid pills and treatments and potions at the best of times, that what can manage with side effects but never cure.....who knows how anyone will feel when time becomes finite, but to prolong a life by days or weeks when the reality is there is no magical cure, perhaps quality of the short time left without debilitating intervention becomes very important.....acceptance, peace then release.;)

On 12/15/2016 at 11:50 AM, spunko2010 said:

Here is the link. https://www.heidelberg-university-hospital.com/diseases-treatments/endocrine-and-metabolic-diseases/diseases-of-the-pancreas/

Speak to them sooner rather than later if you think it's worth a try. I was planning a visit with my dad but he became too ill to travel within a few weeks. in fact I think he had passed away not even 2 months after diagnosis. 

sorry to be a downer but yhe NHS was completely inept at handling it in our experience.  the NHS saying it's too late for whipple procedure doesn't mean it actually is too late outside the UK. etc etc. 

Complete ********. Stop giving vulnerable people bad advice.

Back pain confirms inoperability due to invasion of surrounding tissue or vertebral secondary deposits.

There are plenty of foreign institutions willing to take money from hopeful dying British with this attitude.

No complaints it didn't work.

1 minute ago, SurgeonGeneral said:

Sorry dawg, honesty is the most important thing here...

xx

I had a friend die of that! It's pretty much serious. No I don't mean she died of honesty.:mellow:

Am out and just wanted to thank everyone for their recent posts - amazing community and knowledge base here. Sorry I can't quote you (on mobile) but this thread has really helped. Things apparently took a turn for the worse with my pal last night, chatting with his family.

SG - thank you for telling it straight. 

ccc - yeah, sex, drugs and rock'n'roll might be the thing to do. I'll leave his partner to take care of the first one though!

Thanks again everyone!

18 minutes ago, winkie said:

Cancer is a terrible and fearful disease have...little Bradly is living his life to the full.;)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2682283-terminally-ill-sunderland-fan-bradley-lowery-receives-28000-cards-on-one-day

Sad story, an all that, but he does support the "Red and White Shite":o

Shit happens, and nobody can tell when it's your turn.

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

I had a friend die of that! It's pretty much serious. No I don't mean she died of honesty.:mellow:

Well I'm sorry. Its an awful disease just like stomach and oesophageal cancer.

I'm mainly a breast man myself-cancer that is.Treatment is powerful and successful many many times.

A story-when my oldest was on the way I jumped out of hospital work to try General Practice in my local village.

One day we got a request for a home visit for back pain. Rather than reject it, i knew the woman as she'd served our wedding breakfast in the local pub and been down the surgery a couple of times and laughed about it.

A sunny day i rang the front door bell. When she opened it I saw the jaundice in her eyes and knew she had inoperable pancreatic cancer.In her house I had to go through all the normal stuff about routine back pain and tell her I was referring her "just in case something else going on" when I knew she was in serious trouble, surrounded by her family photos etc.

I felt like a murderer, then stepped out back into the bright summer sun.

On 16/12/2016 at 10:59 PM, mikthe20 said:

Thank you for your post Arepggio, really appreciated. I did some research and came across this about this guy and his companies:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34326801

I'm really quite conflicted - hard to tell if the medical authorities and media are despicable, manipulative liars (which is becoming my default position more and more these days) or if this guy's a charlatan. And unfortunately it is quite literally a matter of life and death. Not a great feeling really as I really can't see how to make the judgement. Shit.

My vote is Charlatan - all the signs are there.

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, mikthe20 said:

Thought I'd better update as the OP. Sadly my pal passed away the other day - barely made it over 3 months from diagnosis, which is the average. B*st**d cancer. Thanks again to those who posted on here. May he rest in peace.

Very sorry for your loss.

Tough news to take. Really sorry to hear that.

Makes you think the guys who say "life's too short for xyz" are right. But if you'd gone that way, chances are, if you found yourself in this situation you'd be saying "buy maybe if I'd sweated all the small, tough, stuff, I'd have the answers, instead of a cool Facebook page / happy memories etc?"

All I know is life is back to front and all mixed up.

But there are some truths. You had a good friend. You made a connection. Their passing doesn't change that.

We had a friend (late 50s) who died of this just before Christmas.

Shockingly quick..  diagnosed in around May/June,  gone within 6 months.

The only positive I can say is that end of life care is pretty amazing these days. She was pretty "healthy" right up until the last weeks..  then very rapid end where, as far as I can tell, they pretty much killed her with pain killers. But even then in very little pain and incredibly well looked after.

19 minutes ago, libspero said:

We had a friend (late 50s) who died of this just before Christmas.

Shockingly quick..  diagnosed in around May/June,  gone within 6 months.

The only positive I can say is that end of life care is pretty amazing these days. She was pretty "healthy" right up until the last weeks..  then very rapid end where, as far as I can tell, they pretty much killed her with pain killers. But even then in very little pain and incredibly well looked after.

End of life care was shocking for my dad. That was the NHS in wales though. I could share the stories but they're the usual incompetence by mainly foreign staff. 

6 hours ago, mikthe20 said:

Thought I'd better update as the OP. Sadly my pal passed away the other day - barely made it over 3 months from diagnosis, which is the average. B*st**d cancer. Thanks again to those who posted on here. May he rest in peace.

RIP

Guest TheBlueCat
6 hours ago, mikthe20 said:

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine:
et lux perpetua luceat eis.
In memoria aeterna erit iustus,
ab auditione mala non timebit.

Archived