House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One-percent

Reading for my edification over the Christmas break

So, live in hope has linked to some interesting material regarding MMGW which I intend to read over Christmas. Wish I could afford one has just published a book on how to save and make enough to escape the rat race. 

Any further recommendations for general edification over the Christmas break?

A Higher Form of Killing by Robert Harris and Jeremy Paxman.  A fascinating history of chemical and biological warfare.  A great book to have on your shelf if you want visitors to think you're a psychopath (along with all the tins of tuna).

17 minutes ago, Will! said:

A Higher Form of Killing by Robert Harris and Jeremy Paxman.  A fascinating history of chemical and biological warfare.  A great book to have on your shelf if you want visitors to think you're a psychopath (along with all the tins of tuna).

Thanks Will. I'm not convinced I could read something by Paxman, but guessing he might be the second author?

This one is now available in Pdf. A real gem:

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics, Vol 1: From Relativistic Quantum Mechanics to QED, Aichison & Hey

Starts a little slow, but by Chpt 4 it's really hotting up. A 406 page tour de force you will be unable to put down. And if you finish it quick, there's Vol 2 to look forward to. Thank me once you've read it.

7 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Over the Xmas break, I plan to hit Futurelearn and do a few courses.  It's a bit like having the benefits of a book combined with this forum  with a few bonus quizzes along the way. 

Future learn is good, if you can learn that way.  It doesn't seem to be for me.  I love to read and I can also happily sit in a lecture.  I don't the the usual online format of a bit if text followed by a video of someone talking. 

Couple of older but light reading books, How to be idle and How to be free..Tom Hodkinson or another one read ages ago might have another look, Affuenza..Oliver James. ;)

19 minutes ago, winkie said:

Couple of older but light reading books, How to be idle and How to be free..Tom Hodkinson or another one read ages ago might have another look, Affuenza..Oliver James. ;)

I do like the titles of those books.... 

1 hour ago, winkie said:

They're all fantastic - I'm surprised they're not staple HPC literature! :) 

I enjoyed Marie Kondo's Art and Magic of Tidying book. An easy read and makes good points about understanding the value of the objects we attach ourselves to. 

53 minutes ago, Bronson said:

They're all fantastic - I'm surprised they're not staple HPC literature! :) 

I enjoyed Marie Kondo's Art and Magic of Tidying book. An easy read and makes good points about understanding the value of the objects we attach ourselves to. 

Thanks will have a look....found this:

Also one of my favorite sons about attachment. ;)

Thanks for the YouTube link Winkie. 

What I find fascinating is a handful of people I know who seem to genuinely detest his musings. A chap at my work was almost raged by it - claiming it to be codswallop. Is this a common reaction to someone suggesting you should take a step away from consumerist tendencies and enjoy the simpler things in life? 

3 hours ago, Bronson said:

Thanks for the YouTube link Winkie. 

What I find fascinating is a handful of people I know who seem to genuinely detest his musings. A chap at my work was almost raged by it - claiming it to be codswallop. Is this a common reaction to someone suggesting you should take a step away from consumerist tendencies and enjoy the simpler things in life? 

Don't know anything about the bloke other than what I've read in the last 2 minutes. I can quite imagine where the rage comes from (not that I feel it), it's nice and easy to just pop out and start up a business, or take a bit of time out and knock up a book/start a magazine when you come from the sort of privileged background he does. 

Simply put he doesn't live in the same world as many people, the one where you literally have nothing and no backing and can't go off to chase a dream. You can't just drop everything and go off and start up a pop up T-shirt shop selling hemp based T-shirts with 1970's TV characters because you have to pay the bills and feed a family. 

Can you change you lot, possibly but it's certainly not an avenue open to a vast majority of people in this country. 

A rejection of consumerism is fine, a reject of the capitalist system is another, unless of course you have the cash/means to still feel the benefits. 

The issue people have with these types is they make it all sounds so nice and simple "I hated work so I just jacked it all in and went to live on a farm and make cheese", leaving out the fact they have had a nice inheritance from Granny to buy the farm and keep the dinner on the table. 

Tom Hodgkinson was born in Newcastle, England. He is the brother of journalist and author Will Hodgkinson; their father is the science and medical writer Neville Hodgkinson and their mother is the prolific non-fiction writer and journalist Liz Hodgkinson.

Tom was educated at Westminster School and Jesus College, Cambridge

18 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

This one is now available in Pdf. A real gem:

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics, Vol 1: From Relativistic Quantum Mechanics to QED, Aichison & Hey

Starts a little slow, but by Chpt 4 it's really hotting up. A 406 page tour de force you will be unable to put down. And if you finish it quick, there's Vol 2 to look forward to. Thank me once you've read it.

I read this last Christmas: Factors influencing sludge utilisation practices in Europe.  I literally couldn't put it down. It's one of those books that changes your life forever.

Scunny, have you ever read "Concrete Quarterly"? One of my mates is a civil engineer, and devours this one with relish. Of course not much is written about concrete, which is why it only comes out 4 times a year.

Barefoot in the head. Brian W. Aldis.

"Psychedelic chemicals, the fruits of the Acid Head War, have turned Europe into a randomised freak-out. Charteris, finding himself taken up as a cult Messiah, believes this imposed image of himself. When he realises that the New Order can only think in terms of old stereotypes, and that in consequence he will probably be crucified, he shakes free of the delusions.."