House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinker

Buying mobile phone from abroad - any experience?

I'm sure there was an old thread on this, but can't find it.

Any experience of buying / recommending a good but value for money mobile phone from abroad (China import) for SIM free upgrade for my struggling first SMART phone.

3 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I'm sure there was an old thread on this, but can't find it.

Any experience of buying / recommending a good but value for money mobile phone from abroad (China import) for SIM free upgrade for my struggling first SMART phone.

RedMi Notes?

Looking for 5" (not too big a phone) with a dual SIM and decent phone camera. Redmi S3 has caught my eye.

interested in the business of buying from abroad. 

15 minutes ago, spyguy said:

RedMi Notes?

1 minute ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Looking for 5" (not too big a phone) with a dual SIM and decent phone camera. Redmi S3 has caught my eye.

interested in the business of buying from abroad. 

I appear to very unusual in the modern world.

I only want a phone for calls + text. I can live with my 3 yo nokia feature hpone, whihc lasts aout 2 weeks on one charge. Thats great. Fcked if Im going to be charging a phone every day.

I do have a requirememt for a more smarter hpne. Here Im a bit wary. I dont like android - I have it on a tablet and its a pib - see typos.

I dont want to blow >200 on somehting I might drop in the toilet.

100ish is my limit. Redmi crops up *BUT* Ill be fcked if I put any chinese tech near my personal data.

Id like a Redmi I can flash and replace with something like a stripped down linux.

I've been eyeing up a new smart phone -  a motorola x force. They have smash proof screens, a 2 to 3 day battery life, and a fingerprint sensor (so I can encrypt the phone without having to type a pin every time I want to use it).

I have noticed that the non uk versions are dual sim, which would also be v useful (business & personal phone in one). But for some baffling reason the UK ones are single sim. So I'm seriously thinking of buying from e.g. a Chinese/Hong Kong ebayer. I'm wary of getting ripped off by a scammer though, or getting a phone that doesn't work in the UK, so I'll be interested to see what the wisdom of the HPC has to say on such imports.

I wouldn't do it personally. I made that mistake a few years back. A chinaphone well regarded by officinados and having all of the top specs on paper at least for a price several hundred pounds cheaper than a well known brand. 

When it arrived, it was marvellous. Very quick. But little niggles crept in. The camera despite supposedly being well specced took fairly lousy pictures.  There was the odd bug in the OS which a reviewer playing around with it for a couple of hours wouldn't likely notice. The nice finish wore and looked rough quite quickly. Still I could live with those.  About 3 months later, however, the phone completely died. Wouldn't charge or anything.  Needless to say, the chinese online retailer didn't want to know.

I guess you need to be sure that the phone frequencies match those of your network.  I think they're:

GSM:

EE: 1800
O2: 900, 1800
Vodafone: 900,1800

3G:

EE: 2100
O2: 900, 2100
Three: 2100
Vodafone: 900, 2100

4G:

EE: 800, 1800+, 2600
O2: 800, 1800+
Three: 800, 1800+
Vodafone: 800, 2600

You'd probably be okay without checking, as all the phones I've looked at, while they don't necessarily have all the frequencies, have enough overlap to cover all UK networks.

I have had several phones. The two best phones where unlocked American. Phones. Nrc terrain and Motorola droid pro. No problems at all. Still work but os is out of date

I also had few from Hong Kong eBay.  The lenovo p750 was good phone and had nice switch of at night feature which no other phone I had since. It also was dual sim.

The other phone was crappie and was eBay immediately.  It was android blackberry clone. Screen res was awful 

I would stick to branded makes of from abroad

47 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

I wouldn't do it personally. I made that mistake a few years back. A chinaphone well regarded by officinados and having all of the top specs on paper at least for a price several hundred pounds cheaper than a well known brand. 

When it arrived, it was marvellous. Very quick. But little niggles crept in. The camera despite supposedly being well specced took fairly lousy pictures.  There was the odd bug in the OS which a reviewer playing around with it for a couple of hours wouldn't likely notice. The nice finish wore and looked rough quite quickly. Still I could live with those.  About 3 months later, however, the phone completely died. Wouldn't charge or anything.  Needless to say, the chinese online retailer didn't want to know.

I bought a chinese phone last year but it took so long to ship I cancelled it.

Then bought the UK equivalent - the Vodaphone Smart Ultra 6 @ £100 which looked fantastic on paper but was very clunky after my old LG Google Nexus 4

Finally ended up with a pristine 2nd-hand (technically obsolete) Nexus 5 from eBay @ £107 shipped and am finally happy.

1 hour ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

I bought a chinese phone last year but it took so long to ship I cancelled it.

Then bought the UK equivalent - the Vodaphone Smart Ultra 6 @ £100 which looked fantastic on paper but was very clunky after my old LG Google Nexus 4

Finally ended up with a pristine 2nd-hand (technically obsolete) Nexus 5 from eBay @ £107 shipped and am finally happy.

+1 for the Smart Ultra 6. The Smart Ultra 7 is out now and a good bang for buck.

It all depends how much you wish to spend rather than what you want.

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

I appear to very unusual in the modern world.

I only want a phone for calls + text. I can live with my 3 yo nokia feature hpone, whihc lasts aout 2 weeks on one charge. Thats great. Fcked if Im going to be charging a phone every day.

I do have a requirememt for a more smarter hpne. Here Im a bit wary. I dont like android - I have it on a tablet and its a pib - see typos.

I dont want to blow >200 on somehting I might drop in the toilet.

100ish is my limit. Redmi crops up *BUT* Ill be fcked if I put any chinese tech near my personal data.

Id like a Redmi I can flash and replace with something like a stripped down linux.

The Typos are nothing to do with Android . 

2 hours ago, uptherebels said:

The Typos are nothing to do with Android . 

In the main they are. My tablet goes nuts.

It slows down. it stalls, android throws up tools after certain character sequences.

Androd also hides chrome whilst in typing.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Only problem I've had with a Chinese phone is that I get a lot of Wong numbers...

XYY

Vely furry :lol:

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was thinking of getting a Lenovo vibe p1 next - if only for the huge battery.  Brand name for about the same price (as a China import).

I bought a Doogee X5 for my son -- Amazing phone for the price (£40 or so, this time last year).