House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomato3000

How to short property?

Not sure why but I think that property prices might be on the turn. Nothing concrete, just anecdotals from some London renters I know now talking about moving to get cheaper rent and all the MSM screaming about BTL pain.

The problem is, I'm not really sure how to profit from a fall in property prices...since I have a house it'd actually be just be a hedge (which is what any competent investor should consider).

The only things I can think of are: buy gold or short some builders shares on a trading website.

Can retail investors get options on property indices?

Shorting involves selling the asset with borrowed money. So take out a mortgage out, sell the asset to a mug at kite flying price and keep the mortgage. 

I'm surprised some bright spark at some bank hasn't thought up that before, what could possibly go wrong?

4 hours ago, Kiwi Toast said:

Short housebuilders and estate agents. Ask bookmakers about bets on house prices.

They let you place a bet against a housing index? I bet they though ,house prices only ever go up,!

Bookmakers will let you bet on just about anything. There was spread betting on property indices, but I think it was discontinued because everyone was betting on prices falling. I don't think it's a standard thing to bet on but if you wanted to bet on Land Registry or Halifax prices being lower/higher in one year I imagine they'd oblige.