HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

The rules are fairly simple.

Single star visible, not intermittent cloud? - it is a planet.  Or maybe a helicopter.

Single star clearly much much brighter than all the other stars? - it is a planet.

Visible within a couple of hours of dawn or dusk? - it is probably Venus.

Looks slightly yellow/orangish? - it is probably Mars.

Ah - but within a few hours of dawn/dusk and looks yellow/orangish? - probably Mars.

Not yellow/orangeish, but not recently dawn/dusk? - more likely to be Jupiter/Saturn.

Ah - but I think it is Mercury, Uranus, Pluto, Neptune? - it almost certainly isn't.

Eds to add Nibiru -- might be.

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Not yellow/orangeish, but not recently dawn/dusk? - more likely to be Jupiter/Saturn.

Could still be Jupiter or Saturn near dawn or dusk too. Saturn isn't appreciably brighter than some of the brightest stars, and it seems to have a very slight yellow / beige tint.

HOLA449
15 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Could still be Jupiter or Saturn near dawn or dusk too. Saturn isn't appreciably brighter than some of the brightest stars, and it seems to have a very slight yellow / beige tint.

Is it gay?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

OP answer is Venus. Brightest thing in the sky after Sun and Moon. Can reach magnitude -4.4.

Jupiter and Saturn both have slight gold/yellow tinges in comparison to most stars.

As above definitely orange hue to Mars.

Mercury is very difficult to see as so close to Sun and only ever seen in the dawn/evening sunrise/sunset glow.

You will never see any of the other planets without a telescope and even then probably only by photographic method to see movement over a day or so.

Oh and planets don't twinkle - stars do. You will be able to see the brightest star (Sirius) in the south during the winter months, rising a little after the easily recognised Orion constellation. Sirius has a magnitude of -1.46. or about 15 times less bright than Venus ie 15 Sirius stars to be of equal brightness to Venus.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I was just watching a video which stated that, several billion years from now once the Milky Way, Andromeda and the other galaxies in our Local Group have merged, that the other galaxies will have moved so far away from us that we would no longer be able to see them and hence anyone around then will assume that the universe consists purely of one galaxy.

They will also no longer be able to determine any background radiation & the expansion of the Universe so will assume that the galaxy is alone and timeless.

I suppose this is what people alive now in the Bootes Void now think.

HOLA4418

I saw it too and thought to myself that must be Venus ("pretty little evening star") - so I thought to myself, I'll play a trick on my grandsons and ask them.

"Why isn't that plane over there moving?" 

(most of the bright light in our evening sky are planes heading into Heathrow)

and they will reply in chorus, 

"That's not a plane, silly grandad, that's a star."

"Oh no it's not boys. That's that's the planet, Venus"

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
12 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was just watching a video which stated that, several billion years from now once the Milky Way, Andromeda and the other galaxies in our Local Group have merged, that the other galaxies will have moved so far away from us that we would no longer be able to see them and hence anyone around then will assume that the universe consists purely of one galaxy.

They will also no longer be able to determine any background radiation & the expansion of the Universe so will assume that the galaxy is alone and timeless.

I suppose this is what people alive now in the Bootes Void now think.

Not so sure about that, if you've got telescopes to see even faint things nearby you'll probably notice the other galaxies then. You won't with the naked eye but then again Andromeda is the furthest thing you can see with that at present (or possibly the Triangulum galaxy). Going further, to a time when the other galaxies aren't putting out much in the way of light any more, well, it won't be inhabitable here either, so entirely academic.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

heavensabove.com.

ISS has been overhead, very bright and fast,transiting for a couple of minutes tween 5 and 7 pm last few days.

other object was Venus.

Best comment above: "Thats no moon"

HOLA4424

Archived