House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cool_hand

Birmingham couple buys house for asylum seekers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-38269394

Birmingham couple buys house for asylum seekers

A couple saving for their own home bought a house for asylum seekers instead.

Matthew and Steph Neville, from Birmingham, had been saving for years when they decided to help people who had nowhere else to turn.

The couple are part of a Christian community and live in a church.

Asylum seekers who have recently arrived in the country are expected to move into the terraced house, in an undisclosed West Midlands location, by Christmas.

Not read it, but it is one thing for any individual to give their earned and saved money to whoever they choose....quite another for tptb to help certain causes and sections of society whoever they are without judgement or question from others that are not as fortunate or who do not benefit. ;)

P****s how about they buy a house for all the homeless which is soaring in my city. Of course most the homeless are Brits so these t*****s won't get as many virtue signal brownie points on their FB status update like they would if they help some economic migrants who probably already have a house or two back home.

Anyway why do they need to help these economic migrants out, the councils can't do enough for them as it is. Every council house which becomes available in my old street, the now private ones sell for £250k, are given each time to either Somalians or Thai/Vietnamese. Some of whom have then crammed as many of their countrymen into them as possible turning them into illegal HMO's. Complaints by neighbours to the council have been met with indifference.

21 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I wonder if they'll receive payment via housing benefits? Or are they really giving it away for free?

(or am I evil?)

No you're not evil. But I doubt this couple would have been able to afford a home without a mortgage. So possibly the church, who are more than likely already landlords, encouraged them to borrow to buy a house. More than likely the state will be homing these asylum seekers. 

As a footnote apparently there are 800,000 asylum claims outstanding.

Just now, Blod said:

More than likely the state will be homing these asylum seekers

We need to stop falling for the BBC narrative that these people are asylum seekers. 99.9% of these people turning up on these shores are economic migrants.

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

We need to stop falling for the BBC narrative that these people are asylum seekers. 99.9% of these people turning up on these shores are economic migrants.

hmm perhaps the asylum system is being abused, I wonder...

35 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I wonder if they'll receive payment via housing benefits? Or are they really giving it away for free?

(or am I evil?)

I thoungt thta.

Give them a year or two, and they parition each room into 4.

As whole, evangelical christians are a bunch of stnuc.

The clip won't play for me 'cause my connection is too slow, but it occurs to me that what they are doing is not completely irrational. Many vicars/missionaries own a house in the UK despite not needing one (because they are either given a church manse or live abroad). This way, they don't fall of the housing escalator, and will own a house when they are fired/resign/retire. This couple are in a similar situation where they already have cheap rent accommodation in the church's communal living house. Even if they forgo the rental income (are they?), they will have an appreciating asset  over the long term, and will have something to fall back on in 30 years time, so they reckon. If they don't buy, then their savings are just atrophying in a bank account.  

What is dumb is that they might well be giving shelter to people who want to destroy them and eradicate their religion.

you need to watch the clip, they are not vicars but part of a Christian Community. would like to know a bit more, maybe some real investigative journalism by the BBC wouldn't go amiss here? does the Church receive state funding? what type of mortgage did the couple take out? if they they took out a BTL mortgage is the mortgage paid by their income or by Housing Benefit? etc/ etc. - the list goes on of unanswered questions in this propaganda piece by the biased BBC.

what enraged me was the idiots comment at the end:

"we each have a choice and our country has a choice about whether we want to be somewhere that welcomes people or whether we want to build walls and try's to keep people out"

Edited by cool_hand
typo

Umm. I know somebody who's 'renting' one of their houses to asylum seekers, Syrians I believe.

They get a guaranteed income, market value & council backed, for the multi-year term they sign on to.

Plus all the benefits of the council assuming 100% responsibility for everything in the property during the term.

And council returning it to day-one condition on end of term, no matter the cost.

The only thing that this person had to sign was a security check and a contract that they'll be forbidden from selling or modifying during term.

I would tend towards these folk gaming the system rather than their 'humanitarianism'.

They will expect gratitude. It will be unforthcoming.

Edited by phantominvestor

Why? Asylum seekers get free safe accommodation until their case is heard. If successful they are then put on council housing list, often with high enough points to guarantee housing. Really it is usually only unsucessfull asylum seekers who stay on illegally that are stuck for housing.

I must be evil coz all I see is more landlords, another house rented that will quite probably be paid for by us. 

3 hours ago, little fish said:

I must be evil coz all I see is more landlords, another house rented that will quite probably be paid for by us. 

Nah, just pragmatic after years of lies.