House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deadlyavenger

Urgent Help needed - how to get tenants evicted\ban landlord? 

My family (parents) home is situated very close to a university...so I/we are stuck in the middle of BTL hell...80% of the street is BTL, either students, EU & non EU immigrants and/or benefit scroungers...I know what your thinking...what a sh!thole and why the fudge dont we just move...well high property prices for one! :/

Anyway one of the student houses opposite, not for the first time, decided to have another big party, which spilled on to the street, there must have 50 if not more people, shouting, loud music etc etc, now normally it would be a call to the woefully understaffed and ineffectual noise team, but this time it got really aggravated, with I assume uninvited groups of lads fighting with other groups of lads. Anyway long story short, I and other neighbours had to call the  police it got that bad...was like a mini riot at points! A window got smashed apparently too

Anyway what i want to know is, now the police have finally got involved, what can I/my neighbours do to get these scumbag tenants evicted? And can the landlord be held responsible too?
Also is it worth speaking to the university, maybe throw the book at these feckers?

Local council environental health.

Keep a diary. Theyll also issue you with a sound meter.

You can talk to to Uni buy they dont care.

You have all my sympathy. Students can be stnuc.

Just be thankful not to be living near a holiday rental.

You should be able to get contact details for the landlord from the land registry for a couple of quid.

Maybe you could send him a letter each time they kick off. He may or may not care, but it's worth a go. You may be lucky enough to find his phone number online. A few calls at 2am to say that your problem tenants are at it again would focus his mind I think.

32 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

video it. youtube it. 

That one and hope it goes viral - some scenes of vomiting and outdoor sex should get it into the Wail. As far as I can tell, the only thing that public bodies anywhere care about is large scale bad publicity so trying to get them to do something without it is nigh on impossible.

environmental health. they can issue an instant banning order on parties for life on the tenants..

Here they are out at night the weekends, otherwise by appointment.

cite Lord Atkin in Sedleigh-Denfield v O’Callaghan  to the Landlord:

“It seems to me clear that if a man permits an offensive thing on his premises to continue to offend, that is if he knows that it is operating offensively, is able to prevent it and omits to prevent it he is permitting the nuisance to continue; in other words he is continuing it.”

More here:Can landlords be held liable for tenants' actions

Many many thanks for all the replies on this (and apologies for my tardy reply)

I really wish i did record it now, the thought did cross my mind very shortly after, but i was so livid I wasnt thinking straight and just wanted to pretend it wasnt happening so retreated to a far away room :/

- With regards to going to local councilors/local papers, i guess i cant do much because I didn't record it!!?? i suppose though the police would now have a record of the event/numbers involved/trouble caused etc??

- With regards to getting contact details for the landlord from the land registry, is it really that easy??? I'd love ring that ***** up in the middle of the night

- Should i get Environmental health involved and tell them to liase with the police on this (using the reference number) and ask about these instant banning order on parties for life on the tenants...

- The university has a designated police officer, guess I could chase her on this, would be great if they threw off their course!

Either way...whatever i can do to get these irresponsible fckers out and bring the landlord to task on this i will do

F**cking BTL!!!

The land registry will give you the name of the owner and a contact address. Google does the rest. There's a bit of luck in how common/unusual a name they have, and how much of an internet presence they have.

I've done it before for a problem neighbour.  The house was rented, but it turned out that it was the landlord himself keeping the dangerous dogs insecurely in the yard. Google quickly turned up that he was actually banned from owning dogs due to previous incidents, hence why he was hiding them at a rental property.

Mostly I'll just knock on the door and have a word if there's some issue with a neighbour, but sometimes (like when it's 20 odd students about 15 pints in) you just know that's going to end in somebody getting punched in the face, so isn't an option.

Some tossers on my street had a noise fest party last Thursday night. The police came out (that takes some doing just for noise, so I imagine that they had multiple complaints), and the council noise people have already sent them a cease and desist letter.

You've got to come down on this shit hard straight away. Give an inch and they take a mile.