House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

McDonald's to move international tax base to UK amid EU scrutiny

More may follow suit. EU / US relations aren't the best with what happened with VW and banking fines. We have our issue with the BP. spill, but that appears to be less significant.

Edited by 200p

38 minutes ago, 200p said:

More may follow suite. EU / US relations aren't the best with what happened with VW and banking fines. We have our issue with the BP. spill, but that appears to be less significant.

Same with Google (moving more jobs to the UK).  Google and the EU also do not have a good relationship. 

Looking forward to the remoa....no, I'm just going to stop right there. 

I am starting to wonder if these big boys are seriously starting to plan for the break up of the EU within the next decade or so.

Personally I think it's inevitable but that's just my opinion.

Lots of this happening would lead me to believe lots of these big companies are thinking along similar lines.

7 hours ago, 200p said:

More may follow suit. EU / US relations aren't the best with what happened with VW and banking fines. We have our issue with the BP. spill, but that appears to be less significant.

well that little issue with BP was peter sutherlands fault.

sutherland is irish,and a UN minion,and ireland now also has a problem with EU vis a vis Apple

US is now going full on anti UN,so will be putting pressure on ireland to be much less "globalist"

3 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

Does anyone have a good relationship with the EU?

It depends on what you mean by the EU... If you mean a good relationship with countries, people and businesses that are part of the EU then answer is, largely, the whole world. If you mean the European Commission and the rest of the EU bureaucracy then you're right, they seem to be universally loathed.

Not sure if it a good or bad thing.

This company has been dodging taxes since 2009 and are being investigated.

Is this a good sign for the UK, that we build on a reputation of being extremely soft handed to arguably corrupt businesses and their tax dodging?

London... soon to be even more bent? Even more appealing to multi-nationals who choose not to pay their taxes, because profit?

If they are not paying hundreds of millions of USD taxes in Luxembourg, they're certainly not going to be paying into the UK exchequer either.

And what kind of story is this anyway? More of a non-story really.

McD Europe Franchising Sarl in Luxembourg has 13 employees. Great stuff.

Is this a good sign for the UK, that we build on a reputation of being extremely soft handed to arguably corrupt businesses and their tax dodging?

London... soon to be even more bent? Even more appealing to multi-nationals who choose not to pay their taxes, because profit?

No, it's not a good thing-but it does make it clear why all the scare stories about the financial sector relocating to France or Germany are wrong- the Banksters like London because it does offer them a freer hand than they are likely to get from the EU.

I used to be in favour of the EU precisely because of these kinds of cross border issues- there is a strong argument to be made for a pan European standard when it comes to the tax treatment of corporations.

2 minutes ago, wonderpup said:

but it does make it clear why all the scare stories about the financial sector relocating to France or Germany are wrong

Not sure about that point there.

Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Banks, big business, and the EU have all the leverage in the tailoring of a Brexit plan.

Our government knows this.

The Brexit narrative about gaining sovereignty holds as much water as does my pasta strainer.