Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
wsn03

Estate Agent just rang me, am I still looking for a house?!

Recommended Posts

A first for me, found my way onto a mailing list of an estate agent in Spring, only because my Mother-in law happens to want to trade up from a 3 to a 4 bed house - this is Warwick. As you'd expect every week the agent carelessly sent me properties not even close to my request, in some form of automated junk mail send.

This morning, after I finished reading the doom and gloom stories reported on here, this estate agent, for the first time ever, rang me to see if I'm still looking for a house.

I've only ever been part of a set up that did that, a very very large business software company who ran out of business after fleecing everyone over year 2k...we were all given lists of customers / prospects to call in desperation (it didn't work, and the year saw a collapse in business). This call reeked of someone making a lot of calls and ending them very quickly with the expected "not at the moment thanks" answer.

I have stopped looking for now, I'm thinking things should look worse for the market later next year, will start looking again then. Have noticed a lot of new properties on the local market recently.

 

 

Edited by wsn03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having 'toyed' with a relocation down to the South coast back in the summer I have been emailed and called regularly ever since.  Probably at least 6 or 7 calls in the last three months despite telling them my plans had changed.  I think there are some pretty desperate agencies out there.

Edited by dougless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colleague briefly thought about putting her house on the market a few months ago (and unsurprisingly revealed a sky high valuation from an EA), but ultimately decided to stay put. Last week she received a Christmas card from the EA firm which did the valuation, personally signed by all the staff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Colleague briefly thought about putting her house on the market a few months ago (and unsurprisingly revealed a sky high valuation from an EA), but ultimately decided to stay put. Last week she received a Christmas card from the EA firm which did the valuation, personally signed by all the staff...

That's hilarious. Not only does it sound desperate but it sounds like they have an awful lot of time on their hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Colleague briefly thought about putting her house on the market a few months ago (and unsurprisingly revealed a sky high valuation from an EA), but ultimately decided to stay put. Last week she received a Christmas card from the EA firm which did the valuation, personally signed by all the staff...

Be sure to tell her to send one back, just to keep up their morale. ;)

'Thinking of you across the miles...'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A EA's letting agency mentioned lately they thought peak rent had arrived, due to oversupply and the fact their transactions were drying up on both sales and lettings.  

Was expecting a correction sometime next year as a result.  Even mentioned themselves the amounts being paid for remainig sales transactions were eyewatering for 2 bed terraces.

This was prior to rental fees being banned, too.  I didn't even work the letting agent to let this slip...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough I too have been called this morning by an EA looking for business.  This was after I'd shown some interest in a new build so now the EA wants mine to sell.  They don't give up easily.  I was practically bullied into putting my house on the market earlier this year by another agent.  Perhaps they think if they harrass for long enough they will get someone to cave in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was called yesterday and receive the odd email asking if we are still looking. I actually find talking to them on the phone quite revealing and find myself weighing up if I would want to deal with this person in the future. It's nice to say 'yes we are looking but in no rush' and 'we are only looking to deal with realistic sellers' which is all true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackhole said:

A EA's letting agency mentioned lately they thought peak rent had arrived, due to oversupply and the fact their transactions were drying up on both sales and lettings.  

Was expecting a correction sometime next year as a result.  Even mentioned themselves the amounts being paid for remainig sales transactions were eyewatering for 2 bed terraces.

This was prior to rental fees being banned, too.  I didn't even work the letting agent to let this slip...

Mind me asking which area this is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmyblueeyes said:

I was called yesterday and receive the odd email asking if we are still looking. I actually find talking to them on the phone quite revealing and find myself weighing up if I would want to deal with this person in the future. It's nice to say 'yes we are looking but in no rush' and 'we are only looking to deal with realistic sellers' which is all true. 

Still some time to go until HPC.  

Training for EAs now contacting renter-savers...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   93 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.