House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zugzwang

US life expectancy falls for the first time in 23 years

An exceedingly rare event in a year that doesn't include a major disease outbreak.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/08/us-life-expectancy-falls-first-time-23-years-rises-8-10-leading/

Life expectancy fell in the US last year for the first time in more than two decades, with death rates tied to eight of the ten leading causes of death all on the rise according to new data from the National Center for Health Statistics.

The last time life expectancy fell was in 1993 in the midst of the HIV/Aids epidemic. Drops have otherwise been rare as life expectancy has incrementally increased since the end of the Second World War.

Rises in death rates from heart disease, accidents (including drug overdoses), and Alzheimer’s disease were among the primary factors in the decline. There were also moderate increases in deaths from strokes, diabetes and suicide.

Banner year for gun homicide too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/12/01/chicago-700-murders-2016/94732276/

CHICAGO— Mired in a level of violence not seen in nearly two decades, the nation’s third largest city recorded its 701st murder on Thursday, reaching a stunning milestone before year's end.

Chicago has seen the number of killings increase by about 58% since last year, according to police department data. The city is on pace to record the most murders in a year since 1997, when the police department reported 761 killings. Chicago Police have also reported more than 3,300 shooting incidents in 2016, an increase of about 49% compared to the same time last year.

44 minutes ago, spyguy said:

A combination of guns, suicide and prescription smack.

And burgers, don't forget the burgers. Oh and the size of food portions.  Anyone see that programme on telly, man versus food?  A heart attack waiting to happen 

Is this such a great surprise, life expectancy is related to quality of life, work life balance, wealth, access to health services, education, feeling of safety, security and social interaction.....so what is best? Fewer healthy people in mind, body and spirit living longer or more with less living less? ;)

1 hour ago, One-percent said:

And burgers, don't forget the burgers. Oh and the size of food portions.  Anyone see that programme on telly, man versus food?  A heart attack waiting to happen 

I can't watch that programme. I can feel my own chest tightening the few times I have watched. How he has not keeled over is beyond me.

(I had fish &chips last night and the chippy gave me an extra large piece of cod. No sooner had I ate it than I had to go to bed and fell asleep as my body was diverting all its energy to digest it. I was like one of those snakes that has swallowed something too big. I am a small and often type.)

It's primarily due to the food, which for the most part in America is total garbage. I had a Taco Bell when I was in San Diego this year; figured I like burritos so how bad can it be. It basically tasted like a wrap filled with melted synthetic cheese and salt. Absolutely horrific.

Add a workaholic culture, increasing divorce rates, very few holidays to the mix and that doesn't do you any favors either.

Fat by 30, diabetic by 50 seems to be life for a big percentage of Americans.

If you've got a free hour to spare, watch this.

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's primarily due to the food, which for the most part in America is total garbage. I had a Taco Bell when I was in San Diego this year; figured I like burritos so how bad can it be. It basically tasted like a wrap filled with melted synthetic cheese and salt. Absolutely horrific.

Add a workaholic culture, increasing divorce rates, very few holidays to the mix and that doesn't do you any favors either.

Fat by 30, diabetic by 50 seems to be life for a big percentage of Americans.

If you've got a free hour to spare, watch this.

Food and obesity will be a big impact. Also worth a mention a loss of status. Wages have stagnated since 1980.....now worth only 5% more in real terms and the jobs are of a lower status. So we are talking globalisation and stress on the working population.

Ironically, Chicago is one of the rare places to completely ban gun sales/guns etc. And the gun crime rate has been going up ever since!