Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

New style £85m "leisure centre" Watermark Opens Today in Southampton


Recommended Posts

On 09/12/2016 at 10:54 AM, dgul said:

Sounds dreadful.

 

On 09/12/2016 at 9:57 PM, jfk said:

Wow! How useful! Go and sit in some completely souless plastic environment and eat crap food, how appealing!!! 

It might appeal to certain people, but to others it would be a place to avoid, and the people who choose to avoid places similar to this is growing imo.....tell me I am wrong. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winkie said:

 

It might appeal to certain people, but to others it would be a place to avoid, and the people who choose to avoid places similar to this is growing imo.....tell me I am wrong. ;)

You're not wrong.  live in manc so the Trafford Centre  (trauma centre I call it ) is an ever present menace

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, spyguy said:

'Confirmed leasings include:

  • All Bar One
  • Bills
  • Byron
  • Cabana
  • CAU
  • Cosmo
  • Five Guys
  • Hollywood Bowl
  • Jamie's Italian
  • Nandos
  • Red Dog Saloon
  • TGI Fridays
  • The Diner
  • Wahaca
  • Zizzi

All high street sh1t really. Apart from Wahaca, whihc I used to like but have not been for ages.

TGI Friday? Really? I thougth they went years ago.

 

Honestly I don't mind any of them. They're not Fine Dining experience but for what they offer you have decent, if not slightly overpriced, standard meal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CentrinoDuo said:

Honestly I don't mind any of them. They're not Fine Dining experience but for what they offer you have decent, if not slightly overpriced, standard meal. 

Most OK and consistent - mainly as the cooking has been automated/de-moroned.

But, for what you get, they are fcking expensive. Chuck ina some over priced 'ceap' wine at 25/bottle and the experience is painful.

Im OK with cheap, cheerful and convenient.

Have a look at tripadvisor. There's a few high scoring curry houses within ~300 yards of WestQuay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2016 at 4:59 AM, spyguy said:

'Confirmed leasings include:

  • All Bar One
  • Bills
  • Byron
  • Cabana
  • CAU
  • Cosmo
  • Five Guys
  • Hollywood Bowl
  • Jamie's Italian
  • Nandos
  • Red Dog Saloon
  • TGI Fridays
  • The Diner
  • Wahaca
  • Zizzi

All high street sh1t really. Apart from Wahaca, whihc I used to like but have not been for ages.

TGI Friday? Really? I thougth they went years ago.

 

I'm not familiar with all those names, but Five Guys and Byron are not bad and as you say Wahaca.

Is it just me or is Britain moving more towards these chain concepts? Are independent restaurants not profitable? Or what?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Most OK and consistent - mainly as the cooking has been automated/de-moroned.

But, for what you get, they are fcking expensive. Chuck ina some over priced 'ceap' wine at 25/bottle and the experience is painful.

Im OK with cheap, cheerful and convenient.

Have a look at tripadvisor. There's a few high scoring curry houses within ~300 yards of WestQuay.

That's how they make their money. They are run by accountants. Wine at Jamie's, for example, is  £5 AND UP for a 175ml glass.

At Byron a standard burger costs 'only' £6.95, but with the upsell toppings most people probably spend £10.  And then that's without any chips, which are £3 and up.

A small beer is £4.35 for something they buy for around £1.

Everything is very carefully costed and priced to extract maximum income. And then there's the promos of course, to maximise the value of their space at time's when it's quiet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bambam said:

I'm not familiar with all those names, but Five Guys and Byron are not bad and as you say Wahaca.

Is it just me or is Britain moving more towards these chain concepts? Are independent restaurants not profitable? Or what?

There's a trend at the moment, which seems to be based on a number of funnies.

One, expansion of restaurants by private equity. Take a popular local place - Bills was a single Brighton restaurant - then buy it, strip out the cost in the menu.. Then roll the 'concept' out across loads of sites.

Whats happening here is that there seems to be lots of money - some sort of EIT/speculation thang. And a lot is going into eating out.

Commericial real estate in secondary towns is basically being given away at the moment. You can get central places that were ex shop, drop a kitchen in, and kerching - cash flow.

These new places are all underwritten by a combination of tax credits and EEer worker. The ones I get dragged to seem to employ either most of Kracow , or half of Romania (non Roma).

From top of my head, he following are part of this movement:

Bills.

Giggling Squid

Byrons

Wildwood

Various Thai Tapas places - what the fck a thai tapas is.

Upmarket burgeri.e. £10/patty places. Insert your twee name.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bambam said:

I'm not familiar with all those names, but Five Guys and Byron are not bad and as you say Wahaca.

Is it just me or is Britain moving more towards these chain concepts? Are independent restaurants not profitable? Or what?

Depends where you are.  I split my theme between London, mainly chainy type places but also if you search and know where to look, some very good independent restaurants.  Indian, Chinese, Italian, Turkish.  Not so much on the traditional English as this tends to be pubs now which are bought up by the big brewers. And Whitby in North Yorkshire, not one chain and  the pick of a lot of very good restaurants and a fabulous takeaway fish and chip shop. Fried in dripping no less 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bambam said:

That's how they make their money. They are run by accountants. Wine at Jamie's, for example, is  £5 AND UP for a 175ml glass.

At Byron a standard burger costs 'only' £6.95, but with the upsell toppings most people probably spend £10.  And then that's without any chips, which are £3 and up.

A small beer is £4.35 for something they buy for around £1.

Everything is very carefully costed and priced to extract maximum income. And then there's the promos of course, to maximise the value of their space at time's when it's quiet.

Booze in these places is fkcing painful.

You get charged ~£5 for a piddly bottle of 'brewed in the UK' foreign p1ss  when theres a Tesco round the corner selling 10 for £10.There's no tapping the cask, or careful kept real ale. Its a bottle, from a fridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One-percent said:

Depends where you are.  I split my theme between London, mainly chainy type places but also if you search and know where to look, some very good independent restaurants.  Indian, Chinese, Italian, Turkish.  Not so much on the traditional English as this tends to be pubs now which are bought up by the big brewers. And Whitby in North Yorkshire, not one chain and  the pick of a lot of very good restaurants and a fabulous takeaway fish and chip shop. Fried in dripping no less 

I'm in Surrey, the local paper was bigging up the new opening in Guildford of some useless American chain concept (Jackson & Rye). They spend £x on a standardised refit with furniture out of a faux American saloon catalogue and bam, instant 'atmosphere'.

People seemed very excited, but it's so obviously crap.

I guess it probably helps that these places are run by companies who know the value  of PR, etc., so their useless, soul-destroying overpriced, boil-in-the-bag betty swallocks gets people all excited.

I must admit I've been taken in by some of these places in the past. And of course a lot of independent places are also junk. Italian restaurants selling pizza made with reformed ham? Die. Roast dinners not a patch on what I could make at home, for £15.99? Get lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bambam said:

I'm in Surrey, the local paper was bigging up the new opening in Guildford of some useless American chain concept (Jackson & Rye). They spend £x on a standardised refit with furniture out of a faux American saloon catalogue and bam, instant 'atmosphere'.

People seemed very excited, but it's so obviously crap.

I guess it probably helps that these places are run by companies who know the value  of PR, etc., so their useless, soul-destroying overpriced, boil-in-the-bag betty swallocks gets people all excited.

I must admit I've been taken in by some of these places in the past. And of course a lot of independent places are also junk. Italian restaurants selling pizza made with reformed ham? Die. Roast dinners not a patch on what I could make at home, for £15.99? Get lost.

Turkeyham - for our new visitors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Booze in these places is fkcing painful.

You get charged ~£5 for a piddly bottle of 'brewed in the UK' foreign p1ss  when theres a Tesco round the corner selling 10 for £10.There's no tapping the cask, or careful kept real ale. Its a bottle, from a fridge.

Yeah it's a total scam. In a pub it's £1.75 for a half, £3.50 for a pint or whatever. But in one of these places you look at the menu and it says '330ml £4.50', and you think 'crap, 330ml? I'm not going to be satisified after just one'. And then you scan the menu for a larger bottle, and either there's nothing, or it's £6.50. So you end up sitting their nursing your single tiny beer feeling sorry for yourself because you don't want to pay £9 for basically a pint of beer.

I don't have a problem with people selling poncey beer for £5 or £6 a bottle, to be clear, but there should always be a choice. I've been in places where there's a choice of a pint for £3.80 or a bottle of Belgian nun's tits tripple for about £5, and I've gone with the Belgian. But I don't want to be tricked by these people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bambam said:

Yeah it's a total scam. In a pub it's £1.75 for a half, £3.50 for a pint or whatever. But in one of these places you look at the menu and it says '330ml £4.50', and you think 'crap, 330ml? I'm not going to be satisified after just one'. And then you scan the menu for a larger bottle, and either there's nothing, or it's £6.50. So you end up sitting their nursing your single tiny beer feeling sorry for yourself because you don't want to pay £9 for basically a pint of beer.

I don't have a problem with people selling poncey beer for £5 or £6 a bottle, to be clear, but there should always be a choice. I've been in places where there's a choice of a pint for £3.80 or a bottle of Belgian nun's tits tripple for about £5, and I've gone with the Belgian. But I don't want to be tricked by these people.

That seems to be where they make their markup.  Like you, I will try and nurse the one drink.  Then go to the pub next door.... surely, if they charged a reasonable price, more people would stay around and spend more.  Perhaps that is not what they want and go for maximum turnover of covers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bambam said:

I'm in Surrey, the local paper was bigging up the new opening in Guildford of some useless American chain concept (Jackson & Rye). They spend £x on a standardised refit with furniture out of a faux American saloon catalogue and bam, instant 'atmosphere'.

People seemed very excited, but it's so obviously crap.

I guess it probably helps that these places are run by companies who know the value  of PR, etc., so their useless, soul-destroying overpriced, boil-in-the-bag betty swallocks gets people all excited.

I must admit I've been taken in by some of these places in the past. And of course a lot of independent places are also junk. Italian restaurants selling pizza made with reformed ham? Die. Roast dinners not a patch on what I could make at home, for £15.99? Get lost.

If you haven't already done so, try the White Lyon and Dragon in Worplesdon. Get a taste card for 50% off and it is really excellent food and value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Bronson said:

Quite. Acme Architecture Spunko. Funnily enough, also responsible for an interesting proposal out your way I think (West Kent?)... 

http://www.acme.ac/acme-space/077-oast/

 

Thanks. I've never seen those oast buildings despite the fact they're supposedly in the same village that I live in! Are they actually built yet do you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2016 at 11:10 AM, CunningPlan said:

If you haven't already done so, try the White Lyon and Dragon in Worplesdon. Get a taste card for 50% off and it is really excellent food and value.

Yeah I went there once, I was like 'cool, Thai food, I like that'. It was ok, but then I saw literally everyone paying with taste cards and I felt like a mug. Haven't been back.

The food was reasonable but those discount card things are a bit annoying. Plus I am rarely ever satisifed with Thai food, as I like things 'Thai people spicy', which you don't generally get outside of Thailand. Only place I ever was happy with was Lumpini in Dunstable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish and chip van......and some choice cookery books, some ability to cook,a kitchen to cook, and quality ingredients...... shop freshly battered fish and chips can never be replicated at home imo......

Very often disappointed with what is served up in some establishments....the standards we so often accept,  not always good food at high price and not value for money imo.....it must be everything else we are paying for?.....maybe I am fussy? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bambam said:

Yeah I went there once, I was like 'cool, Thai food, I like that'. It was ok, but then I saw literally everyone paying with taste cards and I felt like a mug. Haven't been back.

The food was reasonable but those discount card things are a bit annoying. Plus I am rarely ever satisifed with Thai food, as I like things 'Thai people spicy', which you don't generally get outside of Thailand. Only place I ever was happy with was Lumpini in Dunstable.

Get a taste card (free for 30 days - but doesn't work there in December) and give it another go - just ask - they can do spicy. The only non-thai guy in the kitchen is the porter/. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.