House Price Crash Forum

New style £85m "leisure centre" Watermark Opens Today in Southampton

200p

HOLA441

image.png

image.png

IT'S believed to be the biggest restaurant and leisure complex in the UK and one of the biggest in Europe and parts of it will be open to the public today.

Restaurants in the first phase of Southampton's £85m Watermark will be open for business 48 hours before a massive celebration event on Saturday, involving a lantern parade and light show.

Eateries opening in this first phase include CAU, The Real Greek, Saloon, Franco Manca, Thaikhun and Byron.

COSMO, Cabana and Red Dog were due to open today, but it has been confirmed they will now open in the next few days, instead.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14955198.PHOTOS__Get_a_glimpse_inside_Southampton_s_newly_opened___85million_leisure_centre/#

---

I was driving back from work, and the traffic was heaving. Normally the flow is out of Southampton, tonight, it's all been going "IN". It took me 1/2 hour extra to get home. I hope people managed to find parking, and get a table! This is the new economy, where customer service can't be automated, and you get a slap up meal. Go EAT and stick the picture of your meals on Instagram!

Great news, as it will probably "boost" house prices <_<

Edited by 200p

HOLA442
HOLA443

Isn't this re-run of when Southampton built the largest shopping centre in Europe (or northern europe or something) back in 2000?

They built a big funny looking warehouse and filled it with shops. Again. Bravo.

I guess it means business is going okay there. Is the plan to suck all life out of the rest of the city?

HOLA444

Sotons nuts now.

The place was neve great - always pretty rough. But West Quay sucked up all the money from the area.

My favourite Soton eating place is down the high street. Its like a 3rd world country. Or, as a friend says - Worse than Middlesbrough.

HOLA445
19 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

Isn't this re-run of when Southampton built the largest shopping centre in Europe (or northern europe or something) back in 2000?

They built a big funny looking warehouse and filled it with shops. Again. Bravo.

I guess it means business is going okay there. Is the plan to suck all life out of the rest of the city?

Yes.

HOLA446

'Confirmed leasings include:

• All Bar One
  • Bills
  • Byron
  • Cabana
  • CAU
  • Cosmo
  • Five Guys
  • Hollywood Bowl
  • Jamie's Italian
  • Nandos
  • Red Dog Saloon
  • TGI Fridays
  • The Diner
  • Wahaca
  • Zizzi

All high street sh1t really. Apart from Wahaca, whihc I used to like but have not been for ages.

TGI Friday? Really? I thougth they went years ago.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
14 hours ago, 200p said:

Eateries opening in this first phase include CAU, The Real Greek, Saloon, Franco Manca, Thaikhun and Byron.

COSMO, Cabana and Red Dog were due to open today, but it has been confirmed they will now open in the next few days, instead.

Am I supposed to have heard of any of these? Are they brands/chains? The names mean nothing to me.

HOLA4410
21 minutes ago, Errol said:

Am I supposed to have heard of any of these? Are they brands/chains? The names mean nothing to me.

Bascially, most high street paces fall into one of hte following categories:

Brake Bros - Italian selection
Brake Bros - Indian selction

Brake Bros - TexMex

etc.

No chefs/cooks, just a chill wagon.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I go to Southampton a few times a year. There are a few events I like. The crazy thing is it has some really great restaurants already. Probably because of the very fact the mainstream bland outlets are not there. I took a look at the what was going to open ... all run of the mill as stated above. I fail to see what the big excitement is about. it will simply dilute the business just like giving planning for numerous coffee establishments all within 5 minutes walk of each other. It seems to be the go to solution for retail economic success these days :lol:.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
10 hours ago, One-percent said:

There some nice parts of Kent.

And,to be honest, nice parts of within 5 miles of boro - Great Ayton/Roseberry Topping.

Sady, like boro, I spend my times visiting the crap parts of Kent (Medway bit) and Essex (Harlow).

HOLA4421
10 hours ago, One-percent said:

Soton town centre, away from West Quay is horrid.

Last time we went, partner said - Is that tramp having a sh1t. He was, near a place called the Bar/the empty old BarGate.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I go to Winchester more often than Southampton but it is pricey...my favourite pub has just increased its cheapest cast beer from £3.60 to £4.00. Reason given....brexit...total cr@p. More likely due to the sky high rent, rates and pure greed. No wonder you see very few young people around.

HOLA4425
12 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I go to Winchester more often than Southampton but it is pricey...my favourite pub has just increased its cheapest cast beer from £3.60 to £4.00. Reason given....brexit...total cr@p. More likely due to the sky high rent, rates and pure greed. No wonder you see very few young people around.

Its fcking painful drinking in pubs.

I might regress to my early teens and go back to swigging cider in the park.