House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfk

Bought an Android tv box - anyone else got one

Mrs JFK bought an android TV box the other day, I've never used them before but very impressed, after a bit of faffing around got the relevant apps installed, linked it to the NAS and can now watch lots of films / tv that I couldn't before. Also means I can watch anything on my NAS without having to transcode it as the bl**dy TV will only recognise MPEG2 files.

Anyone else using an android box?

:D :D :D

Yes, Android Kodi boxes are amazing. You can buy them on eBay (Quad-core + 1/2GB RAM) with everything pre-loaded to access all manner of films, TV shows and sporting events. They also run any Google Android play store apps/  games, if you are into that. I already have a couple and have bought more a cheap prezzies.

Amazon Fire TV if that counts. Great little devices. I use mine for streaming video and playing old video games. Works an absolute treat.

Never got round to installing Kodi. Really should.

22 minutes ago, Ill_handle_it said:

Which one, there's literally 100's on eBay. I use torrents so can't really see the point in kodi but I'm interested in streaming. Recommendations please. 

If you put Kodi on either an Android TV box or on a Fire TV (that's what I've got), get a build like Wookie, which has a load of features pre-setup...Saves a lot of hassle...

Either that, or download Popcorn for your PC...it'll stream torrents.  Another great plug-in I've found for Chrome, is to install Videostream.  You can cast videos through the browser on to your Chomecast...

I bought a couple of these 1Gb (4k res) boxes on eBay #272306796382 and they've been fine. There's also a 2GB ram version available on Amazon for about the same price but I can't vouch for it personally. Tmt posted a link to the latter in another thread.

22 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

If you put Kodi on either an Android TV box or on a Fire TV (that's what I've got), get a build like Wookie, which has a load of features pre-setup...Saves a lot of hassle...

Either that, or download Popcorn for your PC...it'll stream torrents.  Another great plug-in I've found for Chrome, is to install Videostream.  You can cast videos through the browser on to your Chomecast...

I've been very pleased with my Chromecast. I could have saved a tenner if I'd waited until Black Friday but don't really care as still great value for money, for what it is.

Presume you need an Android tablet or phone for these boxes?

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I've been very pleased with my Chromecast. I could have saved a tenner if I'd waited until Black Friday but don't really care as still great value for money, for what it is.

Android TV & Fire stick/box can be used standalone..

Chromecast 4K is about to come out...Its going to be a bit limited, as it only supports Dolby Vision.  AFAIK, most 4K TVs are HDR10..

16 minutes ago, SNACR said:

You don't. They are standalone.  I've had a number of android boxes but ended up sticking with a fire stick. The android boxes are more powerful/faster - but reliability/quality is variable and the fire stick can be powered off the usb socket in the TV and has a decent remote. 

1 minute ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

You don't. They are standalone.  I've had a number of android boxes but ended up sticking with a fire stick. The android boxes are more powerful/faster - but reliability/quality is variable and the fire stick can be powered off the usb socket in the TV and has a decent remote. 

The Firestick is rather underrated... 

For instance, you have this app..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TV-Player-TVPlayer/dp/B00G6H6BTA

Which allows you to watch TV in a room without an aerial.

..and this one..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/x9F99-x65B9-x513F-AirReceiver/dp/B00L5HQRGS/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1481224422&sr=1-1&keywords=airplay+upnp

..where I can stream content from my iphone to the TV, using Airplay...The app is only £1.78, and you don't have to play Apple £60 for the privilege for their Apple TV...

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Amazon Fire TV if that counts. Great little devices. I use mine for streaming video and playing old video games. Works an absolute treat.

Never got round to installing Kodi. Really should.

You should. Install kodi and a build called Pulse Lite, very fast and stable on the fire stick. They will start cracking down on kodi soon. Every man and his dog is using it and must be costing the industry millions. I have been contemplating a vpn for a while now, really should put one in. There is also a kodi addon called Real Debrid which gives you more reliable links.