House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

Thinking about importing our Nissan Qashqai into the UK from Australia depending on transport price. I have seen figures for RORO at around $2500 which looks generous compared to the a-raping we will get off the dealer and absence of friends happy to buy at that price. 

Its a 2014 model with a 2 litre engine (I think UK just does the 1.2L now) but built in the UK to standards I would assume are similar or the same?

Anyone done it or have advice on the process?

HOLA442

Presume the import tax + VAT will be quite a lot on it's current value edit see link below.. I suspect you'd be better off taking the hit and getting rid rather than what may be a time consuming and costly import process. Are there any auction type places you can use, to avoid haggling with dealers, I don't mean EBay...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A couple of points:

• You'll need to have it inspected (it'll probably be fine, but needs to be done)
  • Your resale value will be tiny (grey import).

I'd say go ahead so long as you're intending to keep it for a while (ie, until the value goes to zero)... otherwise (if you get a new car every 3-4 years, say) sell it in Aus and buy a new one here.

HOLA446

Thanks for the responses.

My understanding is that taxes are minimal for personal imports that we intend to keep

I am aware of the VOSA requirements. I am assuming no issues here as it is a UK built vehicle for the Uk market but exported to Oz

If we import we intend to run into the ground so resale not a big issue. In time it would be relegated to our second car.

HOLA447
HOLA448

For personal import of a modern second-hand vehicle you will keep for at least 12 months there should be no problem with Duty/VAT but you will need an IVA inspection and the approval form before you can register/tax/insure.

It’s different for the huge RORO ships carrying 5000+ new vehicles from the Far East manufacturers and probably OK in your case if travelling non-stop from Oz to UK but smaller operations have a poor reputation for vehicles being broken into and damaged, particularly when travelling to and from many African ports.

Even if not a problem in your case, it might still be worthwhile costing up a container as this would allow you to carry the vehicle plus “palletised” personal effects, furniture etc. 

HOLA449

Have a look at the SVA test and MoT requirements. 

If you leave it to an importer to get the car on the road, all changes will be done cheaply. 

It will need a rear foglight. so they will just screw one to your bumper. 

Check the aircon gas as the JDM gas (better than the EUDM) is banned here. not sure if they did ban it world wide.

Make sure the V5c application is filled in correctly as it can cause major issues down the line (chassis number wrong, colour wrong or vague, engine size wrong) 

Its all not major, but can be a right tw@ 

Number plates...getting the right shape to fit non UK bumpers.......and insurance will be slightly higer than a UK one. most normal insurance companies will refuse as soon as you say import. 

HOLA4410
4 minutes ago, Boomer Baby said:

For personal import of a modern second-hand vehicle you will keep for at least 12 months there should be no problem with Duty/VAT but you will need an IVA inspection and the approval form before you can register/tax/insure.

It’s different for the huge RORO ships carrying 5000+ new vehicles from the Far East manufacturers and probably OK in your case if travelling non-stop from Oz to UK but smaller operations have a poor reputation for vehicles being broken into and damaged, particularly when travelling to and from many African ports.

Even if not a problem in your case, it might still be worthwhile costing up a container as this would allow you to carry the vehicle plus “palletised” personal effects, furniture etc. 

I have gone back to the shipping agent who is doing our 23 'Tea chests'. We flogged all our furniture - wasnt worth transporting.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Nissan Quashquai is basically mostly Renault sh1te, under the badge and styling. I may be wrong but I would strongly suspect it will not last and there will be very few examples left on the road ten years down the line. Definitely not worth bringing over - is there no Oz 'We Buy Any Car' equivalent?

December is a great time to pick up car bargains, even from main dealers, a lot flog off demonstrators cheap at this time of year. I would just get a model. in an exact spec, that is known to happily go round the clock twice with little trouble and buy one with 75k which a lot of people will perceive as a fairly chunky mileage but still loads of life left in it.

I bet, as a general rule. 75% of crap people cart back, from abroad, is ditched or replaced with a year, or two, of arriving back. Travel light in general would be my advice.

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, SNACR said:

Nissan Quashquai is basically mostly Renault sh1te, under the badge and styling. I may be wrong but I would strongly suspect it will not last and there will be very few examples left on the road ten years down the line. Definitely not worth bringing over - is there no Oz 'We Buy Any Car' equivalent?

December is a great time to pick up car bargains, even from main dealers, a lot flog off demonstrators cheap at this time of year. I would just get a model. in an exact spec, that is known to happily go round the clock twice with little trouble and buy one with 75k which a lot of people will perceive as a fairly chunky mileage but still loads of life left in it.

I bet, as a general rule. 75% of crap people cart back, from abroad, is ditched or replaced with a year, or two, of arriving back. Travel light in general would be my advice.

Our total shipping costs for 23 tea chests is $1000 which is manageable. We have some valuable products (Wife has a $6-7000 Persian carpet)

TBH if it wasnt for our nipper we would do without a car and just use public transport and sign up for Zip car.

HOLA4414

Fair enough. I stored a container full of a relative's stuff they brought back from the US, in theory, whilst they were still in rented looking for somewhere. After they bought a place they basically decided they wanted new stuff and it was a slog to get them to dispose of it all. I'm probably coloured by that but reckon it will still be a familiar tale.

I've certainly experienced in London and other cities, where everything is in walking distance and there's good public transport, a feeling you could live without a car, when it's sat parked idle in the street for a fortnight, but reckon you'd miss it pretty quickly if you've been used to always having one.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Fair enough. I stored a container full of a relative's stuff they brought back from the US, in theory, whilst they were still in rented looking for somewhere. After they bought a place they basically decided they wanted new stuff and it was a slog to get them to dispose of it all. I'm probably coloured by that but reckon it will still be a familiar tale.

I've certainly experienced in London and other cities, where everything is in walking distance and there's good public transport, a feeling you could live without a car, when it's sat parked idle in the street for a fortnight, but reckon you'd miss it pretty quickly if you've been used to always having one.

I would disagree the Qashqai (new model) is a pile of sh1t. Its better than anything I have driven in the UK / Saudi Arabia in the last 6 years on hire (Camry, Audi A4, Octavia, Insignia, Golf, Auris, Captiva, Polo) apart from a C class merc but that was in a different price league. Partly due to good exchange rates I paid 15K sterling equivalent for a brand one here.

Its sturdy, very comfortable - we have been on some 500km road trips. Its got the 2.0i injection but we still get 35mpg on 91oct which is predominantly city and suburban driving.

A friend now retired but run his own Insurance brokers is giving me some advice. He said will pay an insurance premium over and above Uk vehicles. Looking into shipping costs and getting it road legal in the UK. If they are reasonable then will probably transport. Other wise its sell and take the hit.

HOLA4416

My Uncle bought a dismantled 1949 Citroen Traction Deviant from a lady typist in Paris. She told him it was like a Traction Avant, but was pushed from the rear end, which she correctly deduced he was very keen on.

He smuggled it into Blighty in bits, hidden in giant Camembert cheeses.

Oddly, when re-assembled it looked exactly like a 2CV.

He loved that car. He told me that it reminded him of her, every time it gave him a whiff of Camembert.

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I would disagree the Qashqai (new model) is a pile of sh1t. Its better than anything I have driven in the UK / Saudi Arabia in the last 6 years on hire (Camry, Audi A4, Octavia, Insignia, Golf, Auris, Captiva, Polo) apart from a C class merc but that was in a different price league. Partly due to good exchange rates I paid 15K sterling equivalent for a brand one here.

Its sturdy, very comfortable - we have been on some 500km road trips. Its got the 2.0i injection but we still get 35mpg on 91oct which is predominantly city and suburban driving.

A friend now retired but run his own Insurance brokers is giving me some advice. He said will pay an insurance premium over and above Uk vehicles. Looking into shipping costs and getting it road legal in the UK. If they are reasonable then will probably transport. Other wise its sell and take the hit.

There's nothing wrong with the car. It's the amount of potential Renault in its DNA that's the problem Renaults just don't last. On UK roads despite selling in large numbers, into the mid-noughties, you'll see very few Renault Lagunas or any Renault cars over ten years old still on the road. Try spotting an Espace, again despite selling well in the early noughties. (Top spotting points goes to a Vel Satis).

Every builder riding the noughties property boom got themselves a shiny Nissan Navara pickup, in reality most of it that mattered was Renault. They were everywhere and now they've already mostly disappeared to the breakers compare that with Toyota pickups. If you want to keep a car for a long while, at a low cost, fortune just doesn't seem to favour anything touched by Renault.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
23 hours ago, SNACR said:

There's nothing wrong with the car. It's the amount of potential Renault in its DNA that's the problem Renaults just don't last. On UK roads despite selling in large numbers, into the mid-noughties, you'll see very few Renault Lagunas or any Renault cars over ten years old still on the road. Try spotting an Espace, again despite selling well in the early noughties. (Top spotting points goes to a Vel Satis).

Every builder riding the noughties property boom got themselves a shiny Nissan Navara pickup, in reality most of it that mattered was Renault. They were everywhere and now they've already mostly disappeared to the breakers compare that with Toyota pickups. If you want to keep a car for a long while, at a low cost, fortune just doesn't seem to favour anything touched by Renault.

It looks like you have convinced me. Sell it is and buy a Toyota / Vauxhall / Ford in the UK

HOLA4424
On 12/9/2016 at 6:55 AM, SNACR said:

This theres way to much Renault in European built " Nissan`s " to justify the Nissan reliability/longevity badge Nissan has always been renowned for the 2l and 2.2 petrol and diesel engines have major issues most notable is premature timing chain failures on the diesels 

As for Navaras i have seen 5-6 year old ones with badly rotten chassis which have only ever seen road use...but Nissan will happly sell you new sections to weld back in for £700

HOLA4425
Guest TheBlueCat
On 08/12/2016 at 9:38 PM, SNACR said:

I never got round to buying a car when I moved to Toronto - a combination of public transport, Zipcar and Uber works for me. I'd probably feel differently with a young child though.

Archived