House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Blu Ray

I've just got my Blu Ray player back, unfixed, as the repairers couldn't get the parts. It's only 3 years old. A major manufacturer, and they didn't have spares. I'm a bit disappointed.:mellow: My old DVD player went on for years, and I gave it away fully working.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've just got my Blu Ray player back, unfixed, as the repairers couldn't get the parts. It's only 3 years old. A major manufacturer, and they didn't have spares. I'm a bit disappointed.:mellow: My old DVD player went on for years, and I gave it away fully working.

You can pick up fairly decent ones from the shops for <£50 now. I remember buying a PS3 for the blu-ray function alone as it was cheaper than a standalone. 

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Could you not get one from ebay 'not working, sold for spares', provided it had the bits you want in working order

Overtaken by soft-media. VHS and CD lasted about 20 years, DVD lasted about 10, blu-ray about 5. I don't know who is still buying hard copies of anything these days. It's completely pointless.

Yes I got a cheapy one for my dad. It's sometimes bit pissy about what disks it will play. I still buy hard copies if I like the film. DVD was a step forward. Blu Ray not so much. My old Toshiba DVD player was as solid as a rock. These BluRay ones seem to last 18 months.

6 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Overtaken by soft-media. VHS and CD lasted about 20 years, DVD lasted about 10, blu-ray about 5. I don't know who is still buying hard copies of anything these days. It's completely pointless.

Each to their own; I will only pay for physical product and these days that means a pound down the charity shop.

I still see a download as no better than a taped copy of a friend's LP yet far more ephemeral than even that.

I like Blu-ray and don't trust downloadable content. I'm surprised the copyright owners sell any of their material on Blu-ray, when they can rent it out instead. Allowing people to buy untraceable, permanent, near broadcast quality copies of your intellectual property seems like commercial madness. On the other hand, a few of my early Blu-ray purchases are already unreadable, so maybe the disks have deliberate manufacturing faults in them.

I'd heard CDs, DVDs do ultimately fail, IIRC they start going from about twenty years.  I've had a couple start skipping without any scratches and I thought that was the early sign of this process.

Ironically for the "soft media" fans it was announced that this week for the first time, though it has been steadily heading this way, that the weekly sales of music downloads was exceeded by sales of vinyl records (in cash terms)!

I may actually join the vinyl "revolution"; I don't mind that I gave my old collection to a charity shop many years ago as it was fairly small and not really my current taste anyway.

On 12/8/2016 at 5:30 AM, Frank Hovis said:

Each to their own; I will only pay for physical product and these days that means a pound down the charity shop.

I still see a download as no better than a taped copy of a friend's LP yet far more ephemeral than even that.

Better for the millennial city dwellers who often don't have cars and have to move rental accommodation a lot.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd heard CDs, DVDs do ultimately fail, IIRC they start going from about twenty years.  I've had a couple start skipping without any scratches and I thought that was the early sign of this process.

Ironically for the "soft media" fans it was announced that this week for the first time, though it has been steadily heading this way, that the weekly sales of music downloads was exceeded by sales of vinyl records (in cash terms)!

I may actually join the vinyl "revolution"; I don't mind that I gave my old collection to a charity shop many years ago as it was fairly small and not really my current taste anyway.

Vinyl seems to have gained some popularity recently! I have a few boxes of the stuff, which hasn't been played for years. I should join this "revolution". Certainly, with a good turntable, it sounds good, even with the pops and crackles!

I usually just do a free trial at some rental place 1 month each year and binge on the best 10 films of the year.

Not many new films these days seem that interesting, I would sooner watch a series on Netflix.

How many desktops with blu-ray players have never played a film I wonder? Most of them? Installed my (OEM) player, sat down to watch one and then found out I was expected to pay for some software for the privilege of playing it!

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Certainly, with a good turntable, it sounds good, even with the pops and crackles!

A good turntable with good vinyl won't have any pops and crackles.

I think you have to be careful with crappy old records though, if they are in really bad shape they can ruin an expensive stylus.

Ebay no longer seems to have any bargain vinyl, anything in decent playable condition sells for more than a new record.

8 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

A good turntable with good vinyl won't have any pops and crackles.

I think you have to be careful with crappy old records though, if they are in really bad shape they can ruin an expensive stylus.

Ebay no longer seems to have any bargain vinyl, anything in decent playable condition sells for more than a new record.

Any thoughts on the new vinyl , of old albums ? Is it the same as we had years ago ? Or is it somehow like mp3 files or the like , recorded onto vinyl ? 

Blu ray are needed because as telly sizes increase, the standard dvd is not good enough. When the 4k tellys start to come in (now) you will need blu ray discs to do them justice.

Also blu ray are very useful for games, because otherwise you would end up switching discs a lot.

I don't know when the video is going to get to a stage where improving the resolution is no significant benefit but my guess is we are some way away from it yet.

1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Blu ray are needed because as telly sizes increase, the standard dvd is not good enough. When the 4k tellys start to come in (now) you will need blu ray discs to do them justice.

Also blu ray are very useful for games, because otherwise you would end up switching discs a lot.

I don't know when the video is going to get to a stage where improving the resolution is no significant benefit but my guess is we are some way away from it yet.

You can stream netflix in 4k resolution, or download a 4k film in 10 minutes with a decent broadband connection. Blu-Rays are obsolete.

7 hours ago, uptherebels said:

Any thoughts on the new vinyl , of old albums ? Is it the same as we had years ago ? Or is it somehow like mp3 files or the like , recorded onto vinyl ? 

It really depends who did the mastering.
http://dr.loudness-war.info
is an essential site to see how good new releases are, and which ones will be noticably better than the CD.

Something to watch out for is dodgy ebay sellers peddling "new" vinyl prints of old classic albums - if the record company label is not shown or is some company you have never heard of, then you may be getting something that is just an MP3 pressed into vinyl. They can look pretty convincing, but the sound is compressed to hell.
I think the reason they don't just fake the label and be done with it, is that if it read 'Warner Brothers' or something then you could just look that up and see that actually no there hasn't been an official re-release. 

On 07/12/2016 at 7:01 PM, MrPin said:

I would have thought that you, if anyone, could get their hands on a decent laser.

2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

I would have thought that you, if anyone, could get their hands on a decent laser.

The sort of lasers I play with, drill holes through half an inch of steel! I think the disc would be f8rcked!