House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Superstars who've ended up playing pubs

45 minutes ago, davidg said:

I give you Wendy James, this girl could fill stadiums back in the day, at least she doesn't mime any more

The Groucho Club is a cut above the regular pub circuit.

I wish the French and Saunders Wendy James spoof was still on YouTube.  "Jason, Kylie, Patsy Kensit, Big Fun and Meeeeeeee.... Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!"

2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The Groucho Club is a cut above the regular pub circuit.

I wish the French and Saunders Wendy James spoof was still on YouTube.  "Jason, Kylie, Patsy Kensit, Big Fun and Meeeeeeee.... Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!"

46 minutes ago, This time said:

Chesney Hawkes does the London pub circuit these days.

Doing his One And Only song,

Literally, his one and only song.

I remember seeing Robert Fripp playing in a pub in Putney once. I'm sure he didn't need the gig.

14 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Not really a superstar, but in his final years Don Estelle reportedly cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his Lofty outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres.

Saw him loads of times it was tragically awful really he was reduced to that he used to still wear his pith helmet to presumably increase the likelihood of being recognised.

Oh, playing pubs...not owning a pub. So my Peter Shilton, Henry Cooper, etc, etc, suggestions would be no good.

Speaking of Henry - not seen him advertising Brut for quite a few Christmases now.

Will dance for loose change.

Pop's a hard mistress. Does not cope well with getting old, bald and fat.

Mjnd you, Leonard Cohen did ok. His manager did better though.

Actually, have been thinking about Don Estelle and he did used to mostly be at some of the more awful concrete shopping centres which added to the depressing vibe - not sure if the bigger glitzier ones politely declined or Michael Barrymore was hogging them, at the time.

However, thinking about it, he had a fairly decent singing voice and it probably did entertain a few old dears and keep him happy, where's the harm he was probably enjoying it more than the folk sneering sat at home wasting their lives away watching the telly.

Unless they lorded it up, over everyone else, in their prime I say fair play to them really and give them full credit for working.

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

Saw him loads of times it was tragically awful really he was reduced to that he used to still wear his pith helmet to presumably increase the likelihood of being recognised.

He did, in fact, have an excellent voice.

It's great that they keep going in this way; it shows they love it and not the trappings.  I am particularly impressed by Chesney Hawkes given his very brief time in the spotlight.

I also like it when footballers keep playing, steadily dropping down the leagues as they age, because they just like playing football; Chris Waddle was still a regular player for Worksop Town in his early forties and has had the odd semi-pro game in his fifties.

30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's great that they keep going in this way; it shows they love it and not the trappings.  I am particularly impressed by Chesney Hawkes given his very brief time in the spotlight.

I also like it when footballers keep playing, steadily dropping down the leagues as they age, because they just like playing football; Chris Waddle was still a regular player for Worksop Town in his early forties and has had the odd semi-pro game in his fifties.

Agreed, I don't follow football but living in Merseyside meant being unable to avoid the news of Gerrard retiring, his quote was something to the effect that he was given advice that he should stop before it 'becomes embarrassing', which he agreed with. Thought it was a pretty sad state of affairs if he still enjoys playing.

I had a race with the current men's Northern Masters 10000m record holder earlier this year. The record was set in 1971. Still going, at 86, and enjoying it.

For those in the NW you have every chance of racing against the great Ron Hill if you do the Rivington Pike fell race on Easter Saturday. I think he's been there the last 40 years straight.

48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think the reason a lot of musicians keep going is that's all they can do.

Agreed about the football but hardly see it anymore as there's so much money at the top of the game now.

Went to see Wokingham years ago and wondered who the small grey-haired winger playing for the opposition was. He was tearing the young full-back half is age a new one. Turned out it was Peter Taylor.

Around 1986 I saw half of the Bay City Rollers at a pub, Les McCewan  ( or it might have been Eric) and Stuart Wood plus a few replacements. Not really my cup of tea but heck a decade earlier they were playing 100,000 not a private audience of 50.

19 hours ago, davidg said:

I give you Wendy James, this girl could fill stadiums back in the day, at least she doesn't mime any more

I doubt Wendy / Transvision Vamp could have filled anything larger than a cricket pavilion.

She was quite a bird though:wub:   Fair play to Roland Rivron

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Around 1986 I saw half of the Bay City Rollers at a pub, Les McCewan  ( or it might have been Eric) and Stuart Wood plus a few replacements. Not really my cup of tea but heck a decade earlier they were playing 100,000 not a private audience of 50.

They're back together and playing arenas now, the benefit of hanging around long enough...

16 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Not really a superstar, but in his final years Don Estelle reportedly cut a slightly sorry figure, dressed in his Lofty outfit, setting out a stall of his tapes and singing to passers-by in shopping centres.

I saw him for real in a shopping centre somewhere as a child!

It may well have been Boston