House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Bird flu

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-protect-poultry-against-avian-flu

We’ve published advice on biosecurity and how to prevent disease. Wild bird surveillance activity in Great Britain has been increased. If poultry keepers or the general public find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or gulls, or five or more dead wild birds of other species in the same location, they should report them to the Defra helpline by calling 03459 33 55 77.

21 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-protect-poultry-against-avian-flu

We’ve published advice on biosecurity and how to prevent disease. Wild bird surveillance activity in Great Britain has been increased. If poultry keepers or the general public find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or gulls, or five or more dead wild birds of other species in the same location, they should report them to the Defra helpline by calling 03459 33 55 77.

You cant have biosecurity of things with wings, just vigilance.

Some birds put in impressive winter migrations, flying pretty much from Asia to UK wetlands.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Some birds put in impressive winter migrations, flying pretty much from Asia to UK wetlands.

Well you can secure your own birds against having others nipping in and pinching the food. There's a robin who goes in one of the bird pens on our allotment. He'll have to be scrubbed and disinfected every time he does to keep it biosecure.

54 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Well so long as the dead clusters of other species aren't rats, it all sounds medieval.

A cluster of dead rats during the Sydney outbreak 1900, a sure sign of the Bubonic plague.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d988a88be6a5c1e89f36b2e7e4dd35cc?width=650

7 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Well you can secure your own birds against having others nipping in and pinching the food. There's a robin who goes in one of the bird pens on our allotment. He'll have to be scrubbed and disinfected every time he does to keep it biosecure.

Shoot it. It's what Defra would have wanted.

Are bees birds?

7 hours ago, spyguy said:

****** migrants.

They are just here for the free birdseed. And chick benefits.

This is causing chaos for a lot of small to medium size poultry keepers.

Your free range eggs ain't going to be quite so free range for a while, and your Christmas turkey might well have been culled 2 weeks early and shoved in the freezer for a bit.

On 07/12/2016 at 5:52 PM, SarahBell said:

No. Birds are not bees. That talk you had about the birds and bees might have confused you.

No confusion. As I have previous demonsterated, even tortis is insects.

Animals-Pets-Cartoons-Punch-1869-03-06-9

9 hours ago, workingpoor said:

In light of this development i think i will go retro old skool this year and have Goose instead

(can you still buy Goose?) 

Yes. You might have left it a bit late to order one from your local butcher, go ask. Save the fat, fantastic for roasties.

The route of H5N1 avian flu in wild birds is thought to be from South East Asia to Qinghai Lake in Western China to Uvs-Nuur Lake, Western Siberia. You can see from the flyway how disease in wild birds can spread. Probably similar for the current outbreak of H5N8 if the source is wild birds as the disease has come from Asia where it's been circulating since 2010. Don't know if it was the first introduction in wild birds in Europe, but Russia found a wigeon with H5N8 in 2012.

Well, although highly unlikely at this time, it is theoretically possible. The virus would have to cross the species barrier first from avian to mammal. It would have the potential but I don't know if it has at this time.

Cats were infected with H5N1 in Indonesia and elsewhere, though no known transfer was recorded from a cat to a human as far as I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_influenza_in_cats

So I guess cats could be a conduit.

HPAI A(H5N8) viruses cluster in the same haemagglutinin (HA) clade as A(H5N1) viruses from Asia and A(H5N6) – which has caused severe disease in humans in China – so the possibility of transmission from birds to humans cannot be completely ruled out.

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/_layouts/forms/Publication_DispForm.aspx?List=4f55ad51-4aed-4d32-b960-af70113dbb90&ID=1603

Further reading

http://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/avian_influenza/riskassessment_AH5N8_201611/en/

I don't think I'd be particularly worried at this point, but if I lived in/near the exclusion zone I think I'd probably keep my cat indoors for now, not because I would think the risk is high, more in case of extreme measures being used to stamp out localised infection.

If you notice any die-offs of birds - contact Defra.

I think transmission to humans will come at some point, via various channels.

Right before the Black Death decimated Britain there was apparently overpopulation, high prices, high rents, low wages and no workers' or tenants' rights. Sounds familiar.

59 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

I KNEW IT.

Loads of swans stumbling about with Kleenex round your way then?