House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Effing Christmas

I just mainly ignore it these days. No xmas decorations, haven't sent cards for nearly 20 years and only give some money to my kids and my nephews 2 kids. Don't buy any extra food in but make a cash donation to my sister where we usually go for dinner. When I tell people this some are horrified but a lot talk of cutting back spending and about how sick they are of it adverts etc.

Its just another day.

9 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I just mainly ignore it these days. No xmas decorations, haven't sent cards for nearly 20 years and only give some money to my kids and my nephews 2 kids. Don't buy any extra food in but make a cash donation to my sister where we usually go for dinner. When I tell people this some are horrified but a lot talk of cutting back spending and about how sick they are of it adverts etc.

Its just another day.

Sounds like you have a good deal so long as the sister isn't a martyr to the cause. My sister in law was and I always do it myself these days, anything not  to be beholden.

Should be a law no advertising xmas till December 1st

Christmas as a kid i loved not because of the presents but because our family was closer

But now everyone seems to be running around popping in to see everyone instead of relaxing and enjoying time with family one reason because everyone has moved on and has there own families now, both grandad's and nan's have passed away and my dad

Mum lives in a smaller house now and not enough room for huge dinner table etc...

Even my current partner who has 2 kids is wanting to go here there back here then over there for xmas day

My brother has kids now and enjoys spending it at home with them 

Its a shame really i always liked the idea of one day have a big enough place to have everyone over for xmas but doubt that will happen any time soon

The whole 'presents' thing is shite once you're no longer a kid. I don't need any more stuff so I could just do without the whole presents thing.

What is good is that my brother and I spend a few days back with my parents. It's good to have that one time of the year where we all get together; a few days of just lazing about the house.

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

The whole 'presents' thing is shite once you're no longer a kid. I don't need any more stuff so I could just do without the whole presents thing.

What is good is that my brother and I spend a few days back with my parents. It's good to have that one time of the year where we all get together; a few days of just lazing about the house.

Thats the thing i liked, everyone together spending some time together very rare these days as everyone keeps saying how busy they are 

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Agreed the presents thing is fairly annoying and I don't think the kids themselves have much appreciation of the  stuff (as was once the case) in a digital age. It's hard to derive magic from something filled with silicon chips. And, in my experience, they are  a bit weary of the sheer volume of stuff  bestowed on them by  good intentions that to be honest has become a bit of a chav fest and nothing to do with Christmas.. Meanwhile it is often ruiness financially to the folk that can least afford it.

I like aspects of it, but all the rest of the ever-increasing amount of **** gets on my nerves (I suppose that ties in with my opinions of, well, pretty much everything :) ) I do wish the rest of the family would agree to ditch the whole presents thing though. I don't mind buying some for my nephews but there's nothing in particular that I want or need that anyone could get me and I struggle badly thinking of anything not rather pointless or uninspiring for everyone else. When it reaches the stage where most of us are asking each other what they want...

I enjoy the atmosphere of the less crass side.

I have mixed feelings about Christmas. My little 'uns are sick with excitement. In contrast my (affluent) neighbour's teenage son presented them with a spreadsheet of his demands for Christmas.

I will take some time off after a busy period in the run up to Christmas, there will be walks in the woods, monopoly & cards played, and hopefully some memories made. The extended family are in Ireland and Scotland so we have to work harder to make it special for them.

Take away the kids, and I don't think we would bother.

1 minute ago, DoINeedOne said:

Thats the thing i liked, everyone together spending some time together very rare these days as everyone keeps saying how busy they are

I do wonder how important the things that people are 'busy' with really are.

We have a reasonable lie in, and enjoy a few days of lying about the house, eating nice food, going for the occasional walk together.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I've often wondered the same thing. It takes an effort to be busy most of the time, it's not the unavoidable fact of life people try to portray it as being.

I understand people have different things to do or they may keep them busy kids, travelling back and forth to work etc... but we all have the same 24 hours in a day its how we use them

Like when people say i don't have time to cook, but you watch 4 hours of TV a night 

A lot of the time i think its just they can be bothered so its a excuse i have friends who apparently aint got time to wipe there ass so, so so busy until they fancy a beer or go something they enjoy then suddenly they have time

22 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

We have a reasonable lie in, and enjoy a few days of lying about the house, eating nice food, going for the occasional walk together.

That is a great observation. Christmas has almost become about bragging rights as to how much work you have done (and spent in pounds) and the shaming of  those slackers that just want a quiet relaxing festive holiday. Less is more.

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

So you didn't drop a wad on a PS4 Pro and PSVR?

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I like aspects of it, but all the rest of the ever-increasing amount of **** gets on my nerves (I suppose that ties in with my opinions of, well, pretty much everything :) ) I do wish the rest of the family would agree to ditch the whole presents thing though. I don't mind buying some for my nephews but there's nothing in particular that I want or need that anyone could get me and I struggle badly thinking of anything not rather pointless or uninspiring for everyone else. When it reaches the stage where most of us are asking each other what they want...

I enjoy the atmosphere of the less crass side.

Christmas present buying is for the children, but buying stuff for the sake of it when some kids get far too much sometimes is not always appropriate so a bit of cash for the savings account is good, by cheque of course, speaking to parents for advice on what or what not to get within a spend limit, all equal. For many years now all adults brothers and sisters or any relative including parents names go into a hat picked out by a child and one person will buy another person a gift.....each will know who they are buying for and who is buying for them, so everyone gets one nice gift......works really well, that is why we continue doing it that way. ;)

Just put the lights up on the tree and will send a few cards and buy a couple of bottles of Port.

Finally I`ll buy a 1.60kg chicken from Aldi and I`ll be sorted.

Merry xmas !!

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So you didn't drop a wad on a PS4 Pro and PSVR?

My Amazon TV box emulates N64 games perfectly - I spent my week off last week playing FZeroX, IMHO the best racing game ever.

I'm keeping my gaming tastes firmly in the 1990's.

4 hours ago, John The Pessimist said:

I have mixed feelings about Christmas. My little 'uns are sick with excitement. In contrast my (affluent) neighbour's teenage son presented them with a spreadsheet of his demands for Christmas.

I will take some time off after a busy period in the run up to Christmas, there will be walks in the woods, monopoly & cards played, and hopefully some memories made. The extended family are in Ireland and Scotland so we have to work harder to make it special for them.

Take away the kids, and I don't think we would bother.

Yep those walks in the wood and games of Monopoly in the run up to Christmas, costing nothing and not creating work, will in all probability be the highlight of your kids Christmas. All the more satisfying for them because there is the joy of anticipating the big day. Shame their bubble will burst once the presents are open come boxing day.

But who would deny them that sick with excitement feeling. Christmas eve is the best day of the year when you are young.

Christmas Day is still the best day of the year no matter what age you are. As Xaiver Cross (Bill Murray) says at the end of Scrooged (best Christmas film ever):

It's Christmas Eve! It's... it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we... we... we smile a little easier, we... w-w-we... we... we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be!

'It getting worse' doesn't really reflect reality. It's been in decline for quite a few years now.

Manufactured goods and food are so cheap, relative to housing, there's no real need to save up and wait until Christmas, for anything, for most people.

I am a bit of a scrooge but I do think its an important time of the year. Personally, it is one of the few times of the year I spend more than a day in my old hometown, seems all my old mates from all over are out and about too so is a nice opportunity to meet up and keep the connections going. If it wasn't for Xmas the excuse to see certain family and friends wouldn't be there (I understand some see this as a positive!), I don't need to see these people often (clearly) but to "force" me to see them once a year can't be a bad thing. The food is nice, the change in pace of life between Xmas and NY I like (when it seems the country is doing sod all for a few days for the most part), overall I like it on balance.

The presents thing I can't stand but as one of few blokes (apart from my dad and 2 brothers-in-law) in a very female dominated family nothing is changing there. I seem to spend far more than what comes back as well with other older relatives (not that that should be important but hey-ho). Admittedly we're quite lazy and just send out Amazon vouchers/shop we know they like, at least they can get something they want but works out more expensive as you can't be too stingy! I know I'll get about 5 Lynx gift sets, socks, cheap bottle of plonk or some other useless tat as I do every year. Be surprised if there is more than 50 quids worth of tat in my stocking :lol:.