House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Drive safe

AHAHA that has every type of northern irish cultural meme going.  Love it.

30 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Overcrowding plain & simple, now they are trotting out safety videos like this. 

People must be noticing it now after trying to ignore it for the last 10yrs or so? 

Down here in Southampton congestion is getting like London levels and i keep seeing people just walk out into the road at random just not giving a **** and thinking car drivers should stop for them. 

The games up. 

I'm not a bell end, and you will be pleased to know I don't drive pissed! Not with over 200 hp and two tons!

2 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Overcrowding plain & simple, now they are trotting out safety videos like this. 

People must be noticing it now after trying to ignore it for the last 10yrs or so? 

Down here in Southampton congestion is getting like London levels and i keep seeing people just walk out into the road at random just not giving a **** and thinking car drivers should stop for them. 

The games up. 

Getting to ridiculous levels in the Northwest of England as well where what was a 30 minute commute 10 years ago typically taking twice as long on a good day and three to four times as long on a bad day. Can beat the traffic by setting off at 6:45 in the morning but evenings have become bedlam with the only chance of avoiding regular chaos is either leaving before 4pm or after 6:30pm.

The only plus side is that most sane individuals have given up now and just sit in the traffic rather than pulling stupid maneuvers.

If door to door travelling time was a tax-deductable expense, the whole shambles would be sorted ASAP.

I struggle to understand how commuting is still required as a concept. Obviously teachers, have to get to school, and nurses, have to get to hospitals but, I'm sure most people are commuting to an office to sit at a computer and check Facebook.

Driving up the AP68 from Zaragoza to Vitoria, I was pulled over by Guardia Civil.  I was speeding at around 130kph, but was fined for not pulling in quickly enough after overtaking.  The whole process was conducted in Spanish, which I fortunately understood.  I was fined 60 Euros.  I now know why the Spanish pull in front of you rather close, and in my view unsafely, after overtaking, which I've been complaining about for years.  After I paid up, the guard said "More slowly, Miss Bossy, more slowly", wagging his finger at me...so speed isn't such a problem as pulling in?  Weird.:ph34r:

40 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I struggle to understand how commuting is still required as a concept. Obviously teachers, have to get to school, and nurses, have to get to hospitals but, I'm sure most people are commuting to an office to sit at a computer and check Facebook.

Personally speaking I like to keep a physical separation between home and work (plus any moves to further reduce the amount of face-to-face contact people have in their daily lives is a disturbing trend that'll have unpleasant social consequences).

35 minutes ago, Bloo Loo said:

and its going to get more crowded.

One of the many reasons the future just looks like a crap place, and why my mood is what it usually is.

Drive defensive! Always!

Why do people drive right up to your bumper in Southampton? If you are not flooring it 100% of the time you are slow!

Well it's our department Christmas dinner tomorrow. Not the corporate one, but one we pay for ourselves. I'll be driving home after work, and then going back into town by bus.

Horrible reminder of my own road traffic accident. Hit by a motorcycle on a crossing in London. Luckily I lived but my life was never the same again. 

I've only watched this without sound.  I assumed it was a stop, look and listen video cautioning pedestrians not to be plonkers...but the responses here seem to suggest otherwise.  Will listening to the sound track give me a different interpretation?

54 minutes ago, Marshmellow said:

That must be the first advert for the past 15 years that didnt contain an ethnic minority

Its Northern Irish.  They still burn out immigrants on a fairly regular basis. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/world/europe/in-northern-ireland-immigrants-are-increasingly-met-with-fists.html

I used to think that they were retrograde...but realistically, the mainland UK could be 'the troubles' in 30 years and Ulster a haven of peace!

8 hours ago, RichB said:

I've only watched this without sound.  I assumed it was a stop, look and listen video cautioning pedestrians not to be plonkers...but the responses here seem to suggest otherwise.  Will listening to the sound track give me a different interpretation?

No not at all, I did watch with sound but was coming to the same conclusion as you. Almost all of the pedestrians are at fault in that video and not just on a technicality but totally and grossly negligent. 

27 minutes ago, gilf said:

No not at all, I did watch with sound but was coming to the same conclusion as you. Almost all of the pedestrians are at fault in that video and not just on a technicality but totally and grossly negligent. 

Quite a few of the pedestrians were children, which is an accurate depiction of reality as a high proportion of pedestrian deaths are children. It's not realistic to expect children to exhibit the same road sense as 45 year olds. Drivers are the ones in charge of potentially lethal amounts of kinetic energy and should look out for situations in which it's quite likely that somebody else may do something wrong (e.g. at the entrance to a park or school, at a street market in a busy town centre) and adjust their speed accordingly. Hazard awareness is part of the modern driving test.

4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Quite a few of the pedestrians were children, which is an accurate depiction of reality as a high proportion of pedestrian deaths are children. It's not realistic to expect children to exhibit the same road sense as 45 year olds. Drivers are the ones in charge of potentially lethal amounts of kinetic energy and should look out for situations in which it's quite likely that somebody else may do something wrong (e.g. at the entrance to a park or school, at a street market in a busy town centre) and adjust their speed accordingly. Hazard awareness is part of the modern driving test.

You're having a laugh. This is the UK, and there's nothing more satisfying than being able to tell a person that has been in a close shave, or even maimed or worse that it was totally their own fault for stepping outside the arbitrarily-decided razor-thin safety margin that they've been given by St. Auto of Divine Motives. That'll learn them, good for genetics innit.

1 minute ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

You're having a laugh. This is the UK, and there's nothing more satisfying than being able to tell a person that has been in a close shave, or even maimed or worse that it was totally their own fault for stepping outside the arbitrarily-decided razor-thin safety margin that they've been given by St. Auto of Divine Motives. That'll learn them, good for genetics innit.

'I was driving on the road, I was driving at exactly the speed limit, therefore I was driving well.'

15 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If they're not capable of exercising sufficient road sense then they shouldn't be out on their own, and should be getting road safety drummed into them from an early age. Having it pointed out to you that it was Darth Vader telling you to behave was quite effective for my generation. Out in the real world you're responsible for your own safety (or should be), do something stupid and come a cropper then perch the Darwin award on your coffin then let's forget about you.

12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Well in the video there are three groups of children, none of those are the ones that step in to the road without looking at all. 

What you do see is people, especially kids taking risks, running across roads where speed then becomes a massive factor. I wasn't suggesting drivers shouldn't be careful (very much the reverse), however again in many of the situations depicted the driver can can do very little to actually avoid an accident other than drive at 5 miles an hour, doesn't change the fact that if you step in to a clearly busy carriage way without looking you are at fault. 

I'm not suggesting the video is bad, but I'd have said if there was any behaviour to be changed based on that evidence in that video it's the behaviour of the pedestrians (there are more adults than kids). The video is almost promoting the idea that as a pedestrian you can do as you please. 

11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

If they're not capable of exercising sufficient road sense then they shouldn't be out on their own

And this is exactly what happens in reality. To avoid the daily carnage on the streets most parents drive their children everywhere and the kids enjoy indoor entertainment like electronic gadgets and diabetes-inducing snacks. Childhood mental illness goes through the roof. This is the world you want, is it? Well congratulations, you got it.

15 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Horrible reminder of my own road traffic accident. Hit by a motorcycle on a crossing in London. Luckily I lived but my life was never the same again. 

Sorry to hear about that. Good thoughts being sent your way.

I got hit by a cyclist whilst I was walking across the zebra crossing outside the High Court. Coaches had stopped to allow pedestrians to cross but this fecker just came blindly through between them. Smashed into my briefcase luckily, although it strained the left side of my body and pulled all sorts of muscles, and the guy fell off. I then proceeded to start kicking him on the ground whilst about a dozen coppers watched on and did nothing.

A cyclist was bad but a motor-bike. Best wishes.

11 minutes ago, gilf said:

in many of the situations depicted the driver can can do very little to actually avoid an accident other than drive at 5 miles an hour

You're exaggerating, 20mph is quite a safe speed. Only 12 metres stopping distance and a high survival rate if there is a collision. The problem is most drivers have got used to driving at 30mph in towns (which is actually 33/34mph most of the time) regardless of circumstances. This is a lethal speed.

stoppingdistances.png