House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Recipes you've made up that are actually objectively good

So anything you have made up and continue to prepare for yourself and others regularly excludes recipes using stuff you've grown in the garden you pretend are great because they use up stuff you've grown in the garden etc.

Mine is a hot chocolate recipe that has proved popular - ie people have asked for it.

Heat up milk microwave or hob etc - semi-skimmed or skimmed works best.

Add level teaspoon lecithin

Add three teaspoon cocoa - decent stuff like Bournville - supermarket own brand will probably be vile. Green & Blacks is a rare case of organic not worth paying extra for.

Add sprinkle Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Add about tablespoon of coconut oil - best to plonk it in the hot milk and let it melt off the spoon (it's like lard at room temperature)

Whisk the whole lot up with a turney handle whisk or electric type.

Serve frothy tasty healthy(probably) hot chocolate.

Ok, so I've got a long way to go for a bestselling recipe book but I've been genuinely taken aback by numerous people asking what brand it is and the recipe and frankly every other cooking effort I've ever tried freestyling has been inedible.

Put some brown rice on to boil. Fry some bacon until it starts to crisp. Add chopped onions until they start getting translucent. Add in chopped peppers and mushrooms. Give it a quick stir and add the drained rice when it is just firm. A mix in the pan so it's evenly mixed and coated in trace bacon fat. Serve with black pepper. 

The kids can't get enough of it!

edit chop the bacon!

Fish soup:

Fry a diced onion in butter until translucent. Blend ~300g of sweetcorn with about 300ml of water and add to the pot with the onions. Cut 250g of smoked fish into inch squares and add to the pot. When the fish is cooked add ~200ml of double cream. As the soup is coming back up to temperature cut a whole packet of fresh dill up and add to the pot with lots of black pepper. Salt to taste. Makes 2-3 big bowls.

As a teenager, my family were impressed by my barbecue sauce out of tomato ketchup, soya sauce, garlic, mustard and honey. Can't remember the recipe, but probably a bit more tomato than the other stuff.

A vegetable layered bake

layer one

fry onions, sliced celery and peppers.  Add tinned chopped tomatoes and a blush of red wine.  Reduce

second layer

cooked chopped frozen spinach 

third layer

fry fry in butter a couple of chopped leeks with sliced mushrooms. Mix with cooked brown rice 

top layer

gruyere cheese sauce made with the roux method.  Beat in two eggs so it kind of soufflés up

bake in oven till top brown, about 20-25 mins

delish served with crusty bread 

12 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

As a teenager, my family were impressed by my barbecue sauce out of tomato ketchup, soya sauce, garlic, mustard and honey. Can't remember the recipe, but probably a bit more tomato than the other stuff.

Levi Roots must be sh1tting himself.

6 minutes ago, One-percent said:

A vegetable layered bake

layer one

fry onions, sliced celery and peppers.  Add tinned chopped tomatoes and a blush of red wine.  Reduce

second layer

cooked chopped frozen spinach 

third layer

fry fry in butter a couple of chopped leeks with sliced mushrooms. Mix with cooked brown rice 

top layer

gruyere cheese sauce made with the roux method.  Beat in two eggs so it kind of soufflés up

bake in oven till top brown, about 20-25 mins

delish served with crusty bread 

This does actually sound pretty bloody good,

18 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This does actually sound pretty bloody good,

It is.  Don't worry about the actual balance of ingredients.  I don't. You need a bloody big square deep dish to make it in.  The only thing that I bother about measuring is the sauce, which is:

3 oz plain flour

4 oz butter

2 pints milk

2eggs

8 oz of grated gruyere cheese

make by roux method. When made, take off heat then mix in cheese and beat in eggs 

Chicken, Rocket and Feta.

Slice 1 big red onion. Add two chopped chicken breasts, three birds eye chillies, a small round tub of Blue dragon Massaman paste, a squidge of tomato puree and a big glug of oil. Marinade for between 3 minutes (!) and 2 hours.

Throw it in a wok and cook until chicken is done. Add big squeeze of honey and balance with balsamic to taste.

Cook for a couple of minutes. Then throw in a slab of feta (that has been cubed) and cook for 1 minute. Take off the heat and stir through a bag of rocket until it wilts.

Serve with garlic naan. A really gloopy, unctious, spicy thing.

10 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Chicken, Rocket and Feta.

Slice 1 big red onion. Add two chopped chicken breasts, three birds eye chillies, a small round tub of Blue dragon Massaman paste, a squidge of tomato puree and a big glug of oil. Marinade for between 3 minutes (!) and 2 hours.

Throw it in a wok and cook until chicken is done. Add big squeeze of honey and balance with balsamic to taste.

Cook for a couple of minutes. Then throw in a slab of feta (that has been cubed) and cook for 1 minute. Take off the heat and stir through a bag of rocket until it wilts.

Serve with garlic naan. A really gloopy, unctious, spicy thing.

Sounds nice. Love anything spiced up with chilli and feta is a great cheese 

Option 2 - we call this 10.1 since we mark my inventions out of 10.

Chop chicken breast, 4 garlic cloves, some chestnut mushrooms and as many birds eye chillies as you fancy.

Stir fry chicken, chillies and garlic. Add an equal amount of dark soy and fish sauce and teaspoon of sugar. Throw in mushrooms and stir until cooked.

Serve with long grain rice.  

21 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

simmer some dried apricots in orange juice until soft and plump

transfer the apricots to serving plate and tip a little whisky onto each

serve with a generous blob of greek yoghurt and some toasted almonds

fck - that sounds awesome

Definitely going to give that a go!

One for the hpc frugalista massiv

Once a year I collect all the odd bits of frozen veg and mince and bits of fish and meat etc that have fallen out of their bags/containers in the freezer and put them all into a pot with boiling water

If i'm feeling extravagant I add a little salt.

I call it freezer bit broth

It gives me the sh!ts

It is vile!

4 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

fck - that sounds awesome

Definitely going to give that a go!

It does sound tasty - it does also sound a bit like some sort of hospitality trade hack to pass dried fruit off as fresh though.

29 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

simmer some dried apricots in orange juice until soft and plump

transfer the apricots to serving plate and tip a little whisky onto each

serve with a generous blob of greek yoghurt and some toasted almonds

or marinade some dried apricots in whiskey(or grand marnier/cointreau)

stick in blender to puree,then put in bowl, add greek yoghurt,honey and chopped nut garnish.

for a little extra flair add a sprinkle of cocoa or chocolate milk powder on top.

whenever I cook steak, I make a concoction of about 20% balsamic vinegar, 40% red wine and 40% soy sauce. When the steak is cooked chuck it in the hot pan, it will foam up as its boiled then reduce. Beautiful with mashed spuds.

Just now, SirGaz said:

whenever I cook steak, I make a concoction of about 20% balsamic vinegar, 40% red wine and 40% soy sauce. When the steak is cooked chuck it in the hot pan, it will foam up as its boiled then reduce. Beautiful with mashed spuds.

braised beef in red wine is delicious

slow cooked is the b******ks

2 minutes ago, oracle said:

braised beef in red wine is delicious

slow cooked is the b******ks

Can I ask if you make your own sauce. I have done slow cooked braising steak in a tin of red wine sauce.  I chuck various things in alongside such as softened onion and it always comes out very good for what is essentially a ready meal. I'm finding it difficult to source the read sauce (this should be on the grammar thread :)) so grateful for advice 

Kinda fruity curry thing. Not exactly out there original, more of a mash up of familiar stuff. Put the following in a blender:

1 onion,

Couple of garlic cloves

Bit of fresh ginger,

chilli to taste,

5 or 6 cardamom pods,

packet of frozen mango or pineapple (sometimes now branded, after a suitable trendy price hike, as a 'smoothie mix'),

tin of coconut milk.

A whole coriander plant, minus a few leaves for garnish at the end, cut from the base of the stalks. Sling it in after giving it a rinse.

You'll also have to add some water, out of the kettle else the frozen fruit becomes a big sort of unmanageable slush cube in the blender.

put the resultant slush in a pan, with some coconut or veggie oil, add half a cup of red lentils and allow to cook down, might take 45 minutes, topping up with water as required, and you can thicken it with a bit of tomato purée near the end if needed. Garnish with remaining coriander and a twist of citrus.

Can be eaten straight as a veggie dish, I like it best with big prawns, tandooried or normal, fried in butter/oil mix. Also excellent with oily fish like tinned mackerel/herring dropped in near the end or cooked fresh.

4 hours ago, SNACR said:

So anything you have made up and continue to prepare for yourself and others regularly excludes recipes using stuff you've grown in the garden you pretend are great because they use up stuff you've grown in the garden etc.

Mine is a hot chocolate recipe that has proved popular - ie people have asked for it.

Heat up milk microwave or hob etc - semi-skimmed or skimmed works best.

Add level teaspoon lecithin

Add three teaspoon cocoa - decent stuff like Bournville - supermarket own brand will probably be vile. Green & Blacks is a rare case of organic not worth paying extra for.

Add sprinkle Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Add about tablespoon of coconut oil - best to plonk it in the hot milk and let it melt off the spoon (it's like lard at room temperature)

Whisk the whole lot up with a turney handle whisk or electric type.

Serve frothy tasty healthy(probably) hot chocolate.

Ok, so I've got a long way to go for a bestselling recipe book but I've been genuinely taken aback by numerous people asking what brand it is and the recipe and frankly every other cooking effort I've ever tried freestyling has been inedible.

I make a batch of chocolate syrup on the hob which is easy, thick and versatile.

This can then be added to hot or cold whole milk. The important thing about a hot chocolate for me is no thickness and no gunk, I suspect the fat is important somehow (in whole milk or added coconut oil) Guessing the lecithin helps bind it and create a good texture?

Simple ideas:

Deluxe Gravy for sausage + mash. Make some Bisto Best gravy (Caramelised Onion). Enrich it with a few a few drops of Sherry vinegar, chilli flakes and finally some light squirty honey.

Forget chop shop curry sauce. After a few beers bring home a big bag of chips. Heat one of those posh supermarket fresh chicken curry soups up in the microwave and pour over the chips.. miles better.

Just add lots of butter to stuff

Anything

There is nothing I can think of; fruit, fish, meat, stew, baking, pastry, vegetables -that cannot be improved with butter

Butter is the greatest ingredient in the known universe