House Price Crash Forum

Oxford University graduate sues his college for £1m claiming 'appallingly bad boring tuition' led to him getting a 2:1 instead of a first and left him with depression and insomnia

HOLA441
8 hours ago, onlyme2 said:

We are not and never have been short of engineers over the last few decades. 100'000's have actually gone through the profession and been ditched at various times over the same timescale, a lot never to return as their skills didn't quite match exact requirements for alternative posts in the short term or they simply turned their back on the profession  having realised quite how badly paid, resourced, respected and supported their positions and opportunities were.

Agreed, a shortage only in the number of people who are prepared to work for peanuts in a demanding career. I worked with some structural engineers/civil engineers in the Midlands, they were started on £18k (and slow progression on the payscale), some of them who had been there for years (and consequently taken advantage of) weren't even on £30k. And worked like dogs for that money. Admittedly I think this company was taking the biscuit a bit but it was an eye opener. It does make me scratch my head when Dyson or whomever else says that we aren't producing anywhere near enough engineers and they need to import (cheap) labour. I suspect if they offered a decent salary (and avertised the job in the UK) they might get a few applications.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

As for the subject of the OP, it actually sounds like they had a great university teaching experience compared to most. One crappy course in three years isn't a bad hit rate. 

Day 1 at University we were told that the difference with school, is that in school you are presented with the answers and everything was included in the coursework. In university you are expected to 'read around' the subject and 'self directed learning' is a key part of the process.

Clearly the hero of this tale was chatting up the blonde on his left when this was explained.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

Day 1 at University we were told that the difference with school, is that in school you are presented with the answers and everything was included in the coursework. In university you are expected to 'read around' the subject and 'self directed learning' is a key part of the process.

Clearly the hero of this tale was chatting up the blonde on his left when this was explained.

I wish I had a pound for every time I have been asked by a student 'what book do I need to read' 

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Apologies folks.  The new software seems to be causing an echo effect :blink:

It's like being in a laser.:huh:

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, One-percent said:

I wish I had a pound for every time I have been asked by a student 'what book do I need to read' 

One of yours, obviously.;)

HOLA4417
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

One of yours, obviously.;)

Only if they choose to buy it.... seriously, some HE students believe that all they need to get through a degree programme is some kind of textbook. They just don't get the idea that they need to read round the subject and draw their own conclusions from this.

when I did my doctorate, one of my fellow students on one of the mandatory courses explained that they never read articles, just the abstracts and based their own work on that.  I don't think they completed.  But I may be wrong. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

MrPin's pop-up colouring book of nuclear physics and young animals is rather good. You get to colour in the electrons all blue.

HOLA4421

Sometime in 2018.

OUTCOME:

BORED STUDENT WINS £50m in compensation from Oxsbridge University in a landmark test case.

Bored Spaces will be incorporated in all Universities to prevent students getting mentally unstimulated. Inside these spaces will be free copies of Sudoku Weekly Journal, and carbonated caffeine filled drinks.

Jim was asked what he thought on Monday. "I got up in the morning, and went "meh", and went back to bed"

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, John The Pessimist said:

Well quite. We were always told there was no chance of getting above a pass without self-directed study.  On one memorable occasion, the only course tuition provided was an initial session where we were given our assignment and told to come back in ten weeks with it done. 

1 hour ago, One-percent said:

Some of our overseas exchange students would have been hugely lucrative for you. One actually approached my supervisor and asked how much will a pass cost? It was quietly explained that it didn't work like that over here. 

HOLA4423

Rich Dad Poor Dad quote:

A Grade students work for the government.

B Grade students work for the private sector.

C Grade students become entrepreneurs.

Sorry I can't reference the exact page, or edition etc. so please don't fail me!

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Well quite. We were always told there was no chance of getting above a pass without self-directed study.  On one memorable occasion, the only course tuition provided was an initial session where we were given our assignment and told to come back in ten weeks with it done. 

Outstanding. I wish I had the brass to try this one on

HOLA4425
21 hours ago, MrPin said:

When I get the cheque.:huh:

As long as it is like this place:

During the years that some of my peers went to uni, I was working as a barman in a holiday resort. Tips were so good that my take home was about 4 times the national average wage. 6 times as many burds as blokes and nothing you could catch from those burds that wasn't cured by penicillin.

No Ragrets.

Archived