House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

If the Government win the Supreme Court case, will there be another SJW meltdon?

10 minutes ago, Byron said:

Well I don't know. What do you think the remoaners will do?

I imagine they'll regard it as a massive victory (and the exiters will see it as a betrayal).  Can't see it making any difference to the final outcome though.

18 hours ago, Ill_handle_it said:

The government won't win. The only question is why they waited to lose.

It is unlikely, but the Supreme Court does have a track record of reversing controversial High Court decisions.

19 hours ago, Ill_handle_it said:

The government won't win. The only question is why they waited to lose.

The High Court said that Parliament needed to vote on it.  The Supreme Court might even add that the Scottish Parliament needs to vote on it too. 

I think the main thrust is that Parliament already expressed its sovereignty by voting for the referendum and entirely leaving the choice of in or out to the people. Parliament essentially made a sovereign decision to allow the people to take the decision.

There is no need for Parliament to do anything more.

If Parliament had wanted to have a final say, why did it vote by a majority to allow a referendum with very clear outcomes? Surely if Parliament had intended there to be further Parliament involvement the question should have been 'Do you want to have a debate and vote in Parliament about leaving the EU? - Yes or no'.

I don't see them winning. I see a state of paralysis for the UK, with the uncertainty having a massive impact on the economy without anything having changed.  The remainers will blame it on the Brexiters and the Brexiters will take to the streets in protest at the government not having invoked Article 50 by the end of the current parliament. Nothing will change. 2016 will go down as a political damp squib.

The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before.

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

I think the main thrust is that Parliament already expressed its sovereignty by voting for the referendum and entirely leaving the choice of in or out to the people. Parliament essentially made a sovereign decision to allow the people to take the decision.

There is no need for Parliament to do anything more.

If Parliament had wanted to have a final say, why did it vote by a majority to allow a referendum with very clear outcomes? Surely if Parliament had intended there to be further Parliament involvement the question should have been 'Do you want to have a debate and vote in Parliament about leaving the EU? - Yes or no'.

The Referendum Act just asks people what they think.  There is nothing in the act that says any particular action will be taken.

Well, I know that they have been digging back hundreds of years to try and find a precedent, but the main thrust is that sovereignty belongs to the people, no real argument against that despite Acts of Parliament to the contrary.

Parliament exercises sovereignty on behalf of the people, and although Parliament claims to be sovereign in its own right, logic and experience dictate otherwise.

If the people refuse to acknowledge the sovereignty of the King or Parliament, as they did in British North America in the 1780s and British Eire in the 1920s, then the only recourse is to govern by the gun.

And we all know what happened next.

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The Referendum Act just asks people what they think.  There is nothing in the act that says any particular action will be taken.

The Court will take into account the intention of Parliament as well as the words. Did not Cameron (and others) clearly state time and time again that the result would be carried through?. I seem to recall Cameron stating quite clearly that a leave vote would result in the UK leaving. I don't recall Parliament or anyone else ever expressing that a leave vote would need to be followed by years of faffing around, more votes and similar nonsense.

The intent of Parliament was that the referendum was the final decision. Hansard will possibly bear this out.

This is just an interpretation that the Supreme Court could take, of course. Probably won't, but they could.

57 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Do you really think so?  I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

I don't really know why. Prima Facie, it's an open and shut case - except there is no such thing in a courtroom

They are (the government) throwing as much sh!t at the wall as possible in the hope that something will stick

I can't be the only one thinking that the Government want to lose?

They talk of a hard brexit but it's just theater, behind the scenes the strategy is to not leave at all before the next GE & are setting up the judiciary as the bad guy.

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I can't be the only one thinking that the Government want to lose?

They talk of a hard brexit but it's just theater, behind the scenes the strategy is to not leave at all before the next GE & are setting up the judiciary as the bad guy.

I wouldn't normally think the above but I'm half way through the book "The Establishment" and starting to wonder .....

14 minutes ago, ccc said:

I wouldn't normally think the above but I'm half way through the book "The Establishment" and starting to wonder .....

If they don't succeed in stopping Brexit you'll end up living in Sturgeonland in the EU anyway so for your sake you'd better hope they succeed.

1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

If they don't succeed in stopping Brexit you'll end up living in Sturgeonland in the EU anyway so for your sake you'd better hope they succeed.

Her troubles are just beginning, she has railroaded her party's opinion in regards Brexit and trouble is brewing for her.