House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChewingGrass

My Papa's a Hipster - Really

“Papa” is an outdated term that was last popular in the 19th century, when men were rugged and bearded and as Hipsters are anything but they have reclaimed the word to ruggedise themselves.

“Justin Underwood, a 34-year-old IT professional in Virginia and father to a three-year-old girl named Afton Love, refers to himself as a ‘feminist papa bear’ and thinks the ‘dad’ sobriquet is ‘very bland and drab’.”

'It’s thought to be linked to the rise of “mama” as an identifier for strongminded, progressive mothers who reject “mum” as too old-fashioned and suburban.'

Now where is my sick bag.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2016/dec/04/daddy-not-cool-why-hipster-dads-want-their-kids-to-call-them-papa

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/30/hipster-dads-want-to-be-called-papa.html

Bo££ocks.  Vomit.  

Most childhood names for father, mother and grandparents in most languages originate in the child's attempts to speak; abba, mama, papa, dada,

Papa was my maternal grandfather, so called because that's what I called him when learning to speak.

My son and nieces called my mother gaga for a long time - she hated it...and now it has come to pass.

Papa is quite common in some mainland Europe countries, maybe these dad's are trying to be more European.

Hopefully Brexit will get rid of this!!

My father was always Pinfather, and mum was Pinmother!:huh:

My kids call me papa,  but it's purely a language thing rather than some kind of social affectation. 

In our case pronounced Papa by the adults and Pa-paaah by the kids when they want something.

My son calls me Papa.  And I'm not a hipster, even if I have a beard.

The Daily Beast article is truly cringe-worthy.