Fullers London Porter

tumblr_inline_mked87KZO41qz4rgp.jpg

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

milkstoutnitro1.jpg

Left Hand Milk Stout

Anyone have any recommendations?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I tasted a fab one a few years ago from the north of England. Had some kind of 1940's woman, lots of leg, on the label similar to the sort of image spainted on the nose of US WW2 bombers. Would love to know the name if anyone knows.

Not sure what this is but it just went super hot on hotukdeals as apparently it is on offer in B&M.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/innis-and-gunn-fired-oak-scotch-ale-330ml-gift-box-314997

HOLA444
20 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

Are Guinness and beamish porters?

Guinness do a porter called Dublin Porter. Never tasted it myself but have heard good things about it.

They also do their West Indies porter that you can buy in most supermarkets. Again, lots of people rate it.

Edit:

Here's a DM article about both.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2742570/Guinness-shows-bottle-new-beers-Brewing-giant-offer-two-creations-capitalise-booming-real-ale-market.html

HOLA445
28 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I tasted a fab one a few years ago from the north of England. Had some kind of 1940's woman, lots of leg, on the label similar to the sort of image spainted on the nose of US WW2 bombers. Would love to know the name if anyone knows.

Not sure what this is but it just went super hot on hotukdeals as apparently it is on offer in B&M.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/innis-and-gunn-fired-oak-scotch-ale-330ml-gift-box-314997

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

What's the difference between stout and porter?  I'd never heard of porter until recently.

They're very similar. The general answer is that stout has unmalted, roasted barley in addition to the usual malt - so has a stronger roasted/coffee type flavour.  However they exist on a continuum and some stouts are more like porters and vice-versa. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I like the odd porter.

Sam Smiths is probably my favourite.

I find it hard to drink a lot - bit stodgy.

Ive been to a couple of beerexes - or whatever they are called. No, I dont have a tin cup and beard.

But you always get one man + dog brewery doing porters. And they always taste sh1t.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 12/4/2016 at 10:22 AM, spunko2010 said:

Glad Porter is taking off. I've been drinking it for years. Some are revolting though and taste burnt. 

Another vote for Guinness 

That's my problem, I'm a massive fan of Guinness and Murphys, but a lot of Stouts and Porters are indeed revolting to the point I won't even try them (porters/stouts in general). 

Another great one is Youngs London Stout, very much in the Guinness style. 

Getting much harder to find Murphys these days, the one local pub that does it have decided not to carry on, I was in there last week and I think I might have had the dregs (certainly tasted like it). I suspect the replacement of Guinness won't be that successful as I think it's a storage a pouring problem rather than anything with the actual product. 

I used to drink Guinness all the time, but it's now pretty much banned by my Irish girlfriend. She is right to be fair, the quality of it really does vary from pub to pub and it does seem that it doesn't do well sitting in pipes too long. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 12/4/2016 at 11:44 AM, Clarky Cat said:

They're very similar. The general answer is that stout has unmalted, roasted barley in addition to the usual malt - so has a stronger roasted/coffee type flavour.  However they exist on a continuum and some stouts are more like porters and vice-versa. 

To expand on this, Porter is an older style of beer that dropped out of fashion for about 100 years until a fairly recent revival.

Stout is a development from Porter, in fact the word Stout seems to have started as a description of the strength of the Porter (Stout Porter, Double Stout Porter (Guinness) etc), in the latter half of the 19th century the word Porter was dropped.

Quite how similar the modern Porters are compared to their 18th/19th century predecessors I don't know.

HOLA4423
On 04/12/2016 at 11:44 AM, Clarky Cat said:

Yes all driven by tax changes and economics of different brewing processes for malt versus roasted barley:

Good article here:

https://www.beerconnoisseur.com/porter-versus-stout 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived