House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

no wonder there arent enough social homes.

A mate of mine wants to swap his social home, was interested in this other place in west London, he phones up the social tenant and starts to talk with him, the guy at the other end says" which home  you wanting I have two" i was shocked when I heard it it really pissed me off, on top of that the guy was'nt English.  Now how does someone get two social homes to swap?

10 minutes ago, crash2006 said:

A mate of mine wants to swap his social home, was interested in this other place in west London, he phones up the social tenant and starts to talk with him, the guy at the other end says" which home  you wanting I have two" i was shocked when I heard it it really pissed me off, on top of that the guy was'nt English.  Now how does someone get two social homes to swap?

Aunty works in the coubil.

Thee needs to be an investigation of all tenants of social housing.

Id guess youd find 30% (at least) in London are not occupied by the tenant.

A few years ago I was renting a room in a flatshare in London. It was a 2 bed flat and then the 3rd person lived in the lounge. He wasn't the landlord but I assumed he was either a friend or family member of the landlord since he collected all the payments from us. I found out later he had come to the UK years before to do a degree, any degree, in order to over stay and claim asylum. His visa applications kept being denied but he was able to stay in the country for years by constantly appealing (I have sympathy as he was Syrian and I wouldn't want to return there either, but as someone who went through the legal immigration process this bothers me a little. Plus he was just an awful person).

Right before I moved out I also found out he was on housing benefit (probably not his housing benefit since I don't think it was his flat) when he told me he needed to raise my rent due to the implementation of the bedroom tax. I'm pretty sure the rent the other tenant and I were paying was funding his life in London while he waited for his asylum request to be granted.

2 hours ago, crash2006 said:

Did your mate report him to the relevant council?  

I bloody well would.  There is an awful lot of fraud in social housing and far too little is done about it. 

London is a cesspit of fraud these days. It encourages those with the least moral fibre in to leech off those of us left who are too stupid not to play by their rules.

Successive governments full of neoliberal pedophiles willing to sell everything and anyone with only one concern - revolution of any kind.

******ing wankers the lot of them.

25 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Even tenants are into BTL in a fashion.

The best fashion, someone gives you the house for next to nothing and you just collect the market rent. Makes Ros look like an amateur.

If every council ensured that all their tenants were visited once a month to check the right person/family was  living there I suspect we would free up thousands of properties in London.

I don't give a crap about these kinds of things - not because I want these dudes to sponge but mainly because

a). no refunds in tax will be given to me, so how do I benefit grassing on someone.  it won't even reduce national debt since someone else will consume the resource

b). moving people out of council places isn't going to get me a roof over my head any sooner nor is it going to make housing more affordable where i live

c). i would rather have some low life council tenant milking the system then the people in charge of running it (upper percentile vs 99%)

d). you want something fixed - make sure its obviously broken and to do that, enough of these dudes need to function

e). i'm sure there is something to say but its late...

13 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Did your mate report him to the relevant council?  

I bloody well would.  There is an awful lot of fraud in social housing and far too little is done about it. 

Apparently in West London many of the councillors were involved in 'beds in sheds'. Those councils also have to house certain vulnerable groups meaning that often they had to plan before taking action if at all. In some instances the original tenants had moved back in, neighbours, when questioned admitted this. 

One notable case was of a serving police officer who appeared on HUTH buying another BTL for his portfolio. He was able to fund this because he lived in subsided housing.

Housing benefit is also a massive problem in extended families. Where they all own houses but claim HB to pay rent to their cousin, aunt, uncle, of brother. Unfortunately I know this first hand.

16 hours ago, crash2006 said:

A mate of mine wants to swap his social home, was interested in this other place in west London, he phones up the social tenant and starts to talk with him, the guy at the other end says" which home  you wanting I have two" i was shocked when I heard it it really pissed me off, on top of that the guy was'nt English.

Pisses me off too. Would be a good opportunity for your friend to play 'detective'. Go along with the viewing(s) and then grass him up to the relevant landlord. Or even maybe just pass on his phone number and advert.

Just to stir up some Daily Mail type angst:

There was someone I knew at University. His father had left a middle-eastern country and managed to claim asylum in the UK. It was rather dubious as there was talk that his family had links to the regime that he was supposedly running away from. He managed to get a 1 bedroom council flat in central London in the late 70s. He bought this under the right to buy legislation and then rented it out. My friend's Mum didn't legally marry his Dad although they had 5 children together and are still together. His Mum was from a small village in Wales and managed to persuade the council she was a single parent and to house her and her 5 children in a council house that was a former B&B. They paid the rent on the big house in Wales with the rental income from the small flat in London, the two were roughly equivalent. After the kids had grown up they managed to buy the big house in Wales under right to buy. They then converted it back into a B&B and now run it as a B&B. Apart from running the B&B recently the father has never had what would be considered a proper job despite having the legal right to work here for years. None of the kids including my friend from Uni have ever had gainful employment all doing some type of freelance work in the arts. But anyway back to the anecdote two council dwellings were sold off for buttons and have allowed my friends family to live work free for many years.

I know of a number of people on my local council estate who are married with kids but claim to be seperated in order to get a second council house which they then sub-let.