House Price Crash Forum

The best tunes of 2016

DTMark

HOLA441

In my youth (we're going back some years) I used to compile a "Top 40 of the year".

I restarted that last year and I'm thinking about this year's one. So what I'm interested in here is tracks released in 2016. Specifically this year.

Some candidates:

Pet Shop Boys - Twenty-something

Tennant gives his usual dry performance over a fairly predictable dance beat. "heard it all before". But the video makes this one, superb:

Shura - What's it Gonna Be?

(cough - The Breakfast Club anyone?!). Nice pop tune

Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling

Decent pop-disco tune.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Nice to see somebody still following pop music devotedly whilst most of us have settled for the pipe and slippers of older or classical music.

I was about to post a couple of what I thought were 2016 tunes but did a quick google and found that they were actually from 2014.

The only songs I could confidently place into 2016 would be if that Honey G had released anything; and then only because of their comedy value. It was about time we had a female Westwood. Aiiiiieeeee!

Apologies for the thread diversion Mark, as you were.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, rantnrave said:

This is a bit different...

It is indeed - really like that.

Another to add. This sort of thing isn't usually "me" and it's a bit ordinary at first but it builds quite nicely.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I've done a similar thing for the last 5 or 6 years, but it's been top 3 albums. Although I have stretched the criteria as it's albums I have discovered in the last year, although all relatively recent. 

This years list. 

Galatic Melt : Com Truise 

The Number 23 : Casisdead

How do you feel now? : Joywave

HOLA4412

When I was younger, and mostly into dance music - I'd follow what was in the charts, listen to Pete Tong's Essential Selection, watch MTV Europe including The Party Zone and so on. Every Monday I'd stop off on the way home at HMV Oxford Circus and pick up new releases. So I was very "connected" to new things, "in the moment" as it were.

Later, I used to drive to work and so had plenty of time to catch up on music. Not so much these days, and most of what I discover is quite old. "I discovered" Lucio Battisti recently and managed to get a vinyl copy of his 1990 album which is great. But I fear it can't really qualify for "best of 2016" given that he died in 1998.

I've always been into singles mostly because I was into dance music. That tends not to lend itself to albums very well. Mind you some of the dance singles are like mini albums.

From the above this one has certainly had some time spent on the video..

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
22 hours ago, DTMark said:

When I was younger, and mostly into dance music - I'd follow what was in the charts, listen to Pete Tong's Essential Selection, watch MTV Europe including The Party Zone and so on. Every Monday I'd stop off on the way home at HMV Oxford Circus and pick up new releases. So I was very "connected" to new things, "in the moment" as it were.

Later, I used to drive to work and so had plenty of time to catch up on music. Not so much these days, and most of what I discover is quite old. "I discovered" Lucio Battisti recently and managed to get a vinyl copy of his 1990 album which is great. But I fear it can't really qualify for "best of 2016" given that he died in 1998.

I've always been into singles mostly because I was into dance music. That tends not to lend itself to albums very well. Mind you some of the dance singles are like mini albums.

Similar to me really, we used to get paid in cash on thursdays and so it was down to Our Price at lunch time to pick up all the latest singles, mainly dance at the time, plus the latest albums. I say we, me and another HPC forum member Rozza, between the two of us we possibly had pretty much anything from the 1990s, especially main stream club wise, rap. R&B and new jack swing.

We would be clubbing 3-4 nights a week, the rest of the time we would be hanging round listening to the radio so like you very up to date on the latest music chart wise. 

As for now, I subscribe to Deezer, haven't bought a CD in years (the odd one for the car maybe). Given in the end my CD collection was around 4,000 mark (mainly albums come then end) that's a fair turn around. Possibly would have kept them but I moved so often in the 2000's they became a bind, so digitised them and now have them the collection in multiple places, Sonos, on an iPod touch (not all it's not big enough even though it's the largest available space wise) couple of hard drives and on the PC at work.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The "chart of the year" probably appeals to my sense of "order".

Incredibly some of those old tapes survive.

This was 1998's top 10. It might ordinarily be a security risk to post my handwriting except that I barely recognise it, it's not so neat and tidy now.

1998chart_zpsbzturjuk.jpg

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived