Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lavalas

Airbnb - London 90 Day Limit

Recommended Posts

Kind of sad about this actually.  All this year I've been doing 6-8 week secondments all around the country, moving around so regularly makes normal renting impossible but it's too long to stay in hotels for without wanting to kill yourself.  Airbnb has been absolutely brilliant for finding good cheap accommodation but 90 day limits such as this would prevent it from catering for the short term contractor market :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Kind of sad about this actually.  All this year I've been doing 6-8 week secondments all around the country, moving around so regularly makes normal renting impossible but it's too long to stay in hotels for without wanting to kill yourself.  Airbnb has been absolutely brilliant for finding good cheap accommodation but 90 day limits such as this would prevent it from catering for the short term contractor market :(

Spareroom.co.uk and mondaytofriday.com are what I use. Just search for ones where you live with owner....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Upabove said:

Kind of sad about this actually.  All this year I've been doing 6-8 week secondments all around the country, moving around so regularly makes normal renting impossible but it's too long to stay in hotels for without wanting to kill yourself.  Airbnb has been absolutely brilliant for finding good cheap accommodation but 90 day limits such as this would prevent it from catering for the short term contractor market :(

from renting out entire homes for more than 90 days a year without official consent.

So if you only want a room the it'll not stop you.
And what's to stop people asking for consent for longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Upabove said:

Kind of sad about this actually.  All this year I've been doing 6-8 week secondments all around the country, moving around so regularly makes normal renting impossible but it's too long to stay in hotels for without wanting to kill yourself.  Airbnb has been absolutely brilliant for finding good cheap accommodation but 90 day limits such as this would prevent it from catering for the short term contractor market :(

You will still be OK though?

6-8 weeks is only 42 to 56 days so below 90. Plus it doesn't apply all around the country just London

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

You will still be OK though?

6-8 weeks is only 42 to 56 days so below 90. Plus it doesn't apply all around the country just London

Yeah, I thought  I was missing something on the maths there :)

As someone priced out of Croydon (I know!) I think the 90 day limit is a good thing and generous enough. Everyone knows London is dominated, practically flooded with rentals. In Croydon they even allowed blocks of flats to turn into hotels/business accommodation when the sellers couldn't get the exorbitant prices they were after - rather than (heaven forbid) dropping the prices to meet the market!

Hopefully things will get even tougher for the rental market, people are clearly sick of it and the stick of blaming our needs on "breaking the economy" is losing its power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2016 at 3:54 PM, SarahBell said:

from renting out entire homes for more than 90 days a year without official consent.

So if you only want a room the it'll not stop you.
And what's to stop people asking for consent for longer?

Oh that's not too bad then.  However how is anyone to know if they are just letting a room or the whole flat? Easy enough for landlord to say they are living there while actually living partner's house etc.
 

 

23 hours ago, Notdundespairing said:

Yeah, I thought  I was missing something on the maths there :)

As someone priced out of Croydon (I know!) I think the 90 day limit is a good thing and generous enough. Everyone knows London is dominated, practically flooded with rentals. In Croydon they even allowed blocks of flats to turn into hotels/business accommodation when the sellers couldn't get the exorbitant prices they were after - rather than (heaven forbid) dropping the prices to meet the market!

Hopefully things will get even tougher for the rental market, people are clearly sick of it and the stick of blaming our needs on "breaking the economy" is losing its power. 

Most airBnB's will give monthly discounts of around 50% for long term stays, as it's in their interest to minimise voids and keep good visitors.  However if landlords only have a maximum of 90 days to let then there will be no such incentive for them to give long term stay discounts.

Did they actually convert housing to hotels? I'd heard the direction was all the other way of office blocks to flats etc.  Though we all want the property market to get back to a sane market we have to appreciate it has to cater for numerous different needs, sure most of us will want a good family home at some stage but there still needs to be provision for long term and short term renters for whom owning (regardless of price) isn't the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Most airBnB's will give monthly discounts of around 50% for long term stays, as it's in their interest to minimise voids and keep good visitors.  However if landlords only have a maximum of 90 days to let then there will be no such incentive for them to give long term stay discounts.

But they are free to give other discounts as part of the competition that still remains?

14 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Did they actually convert housing to hotels? I'd heard the direction was all the other way of office blocks to flats etc.  Though we all want the property market to get back to a sane market we have to appreciate it has to cater for numerous different needs, sure most of us will want a good family home at some stage but there still needs to be provision for long term and short term renters for whom owning (regardless of price) isn't the best option

Well I am probably going a bit too far back in history - pre 2010 - it was Altitude 25 in Croydon (some of the buildings of that complex) that had their purpose changed - now they are services apartments. But it was quite apparent there were still buyers and renters available. It's just they weren't selling for the prices wanted by the seller. I totally agree with there being some need for rental - but this action seemed to be trying to tell us there was no market for these flats - when in fact it felt to me that it was all about the high prices desired. They were not allowing the "market" to set the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I'll actually have some neighbours come April then. Out of four flats in the building ours is the only one that isn't AirBnB. I think the occupancy rate is quite low, probably about 50% and they don't seem to be managing to charge more than twice our daily rent to make up for it. Then there's the extra cost of council tax at £100ish a month, TV, broadband, water etc plus extra maintenance to keep the places pristine. I'm sure they'd be a lot better off just renting it out, innit. Or trying to crystalise the ~50% paper gains since the flats were bought in ~2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with the 60 day rule is how to enforce it.

I know of two airbnb on this zone2 street and both are breaking the rules. I can identify them because I know the street but even if I report them to the council, how can they prove they are breaking the 90 day limit?

One solution would be for everyone to register their address on a national database allowing the council to go after empty addresses.

How far are the British electorate from accepting registration of address [already done in almost every other european country] is desirable?

I suspect the "advantage" of increasing housing supply by allowing councils to enforce short term rental rules is too far removed from them personally. Would also make fraud around main residence CGT relief disappear.

One [individual] advantage [in Europe] is that bailiffs have to check the register before they can turn up at your door demanding monies owed by a previous resident, if that resident is no longer on the register, bailiffs can do nowt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ebull said:

Problem with the 60 day rule is how to enforce it.

Sorry 90 day rule. Freudian slip .. should be 60 or even 30 IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   94 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.