House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
homeless

Tv Licence Fee Rises 2.3% Above Inflation

The television licence fee is to rise to £131.50 from 1 April, a 4.2% increase, the government has announced.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell said it would enable the BBC to continue to provide a "strong and distinctive schedule". The current fee is £126.50.

She said the licence fee for 2006-7 would enable the BBC to remain at the "forefront of broadcasting technology".

The current settlement allows for the fee to be increased by the level of inflation plus 1.5% up to April 2007.

The corporation has already asked the government for its next settlement, to run for seven years from 2007 to 2013.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said a 2.3% rise above inflation would fund programmes and digital services.

everything to do with the government is going up it seems at least double the inflation rate

The television licence fee is to rise to £131.50 from 1 April, a 4.2% increase, the government has announced.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell said it would enable the BBC to continue to provide a "strong and distinctive schedule". The current fee is £126.50.

She said the licence fee for 2006-7 would enable the BBC to remain at the "forefront of broadcasting technology".

The current settlement allows for the fee to be increased by the level of inflation plus 1.5% up to April 2007.

The corporation has already asked the government for its next settlement, to run for seven years from 2007 to 2013.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said a 2.3% rise above inflation would fund programmes and digital services.

everything to do with the government is going up it seems at least double the inflation rate

Everywhere else in the world over the last 15 years technology seems to have improved so much to lower costs of doing business and reduce production costs and overheads, logistics and beaurocracy. Sadly this seismic shift in world productivity seems to have missed the BBC along with central government...Imagine how much the "old" BBC would cost to deliver in today's money if they hadn't decided to spend their budget (can't show they've come in under it!) on world domination and umpteen channels. I would take the old BBC (grudgingly BBCs 1-2 and Radios 1-4 + WS) at half the cost no problem. Will we ever see the licence fee come down? If not, why not?

soon tv will move to the internet, not via tv cards in computers but live streaming

now how will the government make people pay for that??.peopel will just dump there tv's for monitors and watch foriegn chans

soon tv will move to the internet, not via tv cards in computers but live streaming

now how will the government make people pay for that??.peopel will just dump there tv's for monitors and watch foriegn chans

They will expand the TV license fee to cover network connected PCs. Far fetched, but I am sad to say it is inevitable. How else will the government fund it's propaganda?

Good question. In theory, they could force all the internet providers to provide details of people who have access to the web. Shops when they sell a pc would provide your name and address to the powers that be in the same way as they do now when you buy a TV. Of course, the main issue here has to be if you are forced to buy a TV license to access the internet then the Beeb effectively has control over the web in this country. I don't have a TV, so don't pay the license fee. Obviously I have access to the web. No way will I pay them.

The Big Brother Corporation will be well and truely watching you if you let them control the web as well.

Everywhere else in the world over the last 15 years technology seems to have improved so much to lower costs of doing business and reduce production costs and overheads, logistics and beaurocracy. Sadly this seismic shift in world productivity seems to have missed the BBC along with central government...Imagine how much the "old" BBC would cost to deliver in today's money if they hadn't decided to spend their budget (can't show they've come in under it!) on world domination and umpteen channels. I would take the old BBC (grudgingly BBCs 1-2 and Radios 1-4 + WS) at half the cost no problem. Will we ever see the licence fee come down? If not, why not?

They could halve the licence fee quite easily. Here's the breakdown (%):

BBC One 36.0

BBC Two 14.7

Digital television channels 10.2

BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 and Five Live 10.1

Transmission and collection costs 10

Nations & English Regions television 8.9

Local and nations radio 6.4

bbc.co.uk 3.5

Digital radio stations 1.0

BBC1 appears to be the worst offender. £1 billion budget and most of the output is dross.

The government also revealed that the total television licence fee revenue collected by the BBC for 2000-1 to 2004-5 was more than £13bn.

:angry:

I will not be surprised when they introduce the Internet License!!

I wonder if there will be a nice expensive theory test.

Sundays headline in one of the papers was about how much our friends at the beeb had wasted on the expenses. Can’t remember the exact figures but total expenses ran to £36 million something like £18 million on air fares for jollies for the boys.

The beebs tax on the poor won't last forever, you don’t have to pay it. When the TV detector van comes, (actually this a BBC lie spread to worry god fearing folk, its usually a man with a clipboard), just don’t answer the door. If they do finally get that annoyed with you and get a search warrant the fine will be about £150 if your plead guilty by post. £1000 fine,,, rubbish.

People are usually caught because they let them in and incriminate themselves by signing a document saying yes I haven’t got a TV license, I admit this etc etc. No document, no conviction. The company which does the detection is a private company making profits from the misery of others. They get paid on commission and generally its poor single women who get caught because they are at home during the day when the beebs enforcement boys arrive. Not knowing that they can refuse entry many people are bullied on the doorstep into letting these parasites in. When I was a uni I remember reading a paper on how many women were in jail because of not paying court fines for not having a license fee, cant remember the figures but it was stupidly high. Something like 30% of women in jail.

I don’t have a TV because I don’t need one. I have a massive, flat screen LCD screen on top of my docking station though. My rabbit hutch dingy flat that I rent is not big enough to swing a cat never mind a big TV. Being a computer geek the only programs I watch are generally American programs such as Lost, 24 etc and I download them using Bit Torrent. Doesn’t stop those morons from coming around with their clipboards and harassing me. I usually tell them to go **** themselves and slam the door in the face. The snotty letters they send get posted straight back. I’m at most girlfriends most nights and do watch her TV. (she has a license) Maybe one day when house prices crash and we move into together into our value for money home I will get one.

TV's are changing (LCD no TV tuner included anyone?) and so is the way we watch it, as more people embrace new technology and it becomes legal to download the latest episodes of programs from other countries then the beep will find itself more and more pushed aside. One day when the geek factor has been removed from the internet and it becomes very easy to watch what you want when you want then the license fee will be a forgotten tax assigned to the dustbin, written about by children working from home in the virtual schools of the future.

so true!! :lol:

it's desperately outmoded to continue to charge for something that is now open to a huge market... ok, in the days when we had 3 channels, I can understand the need,

But now, you can be a sky subscriber, never watch BBC, and still pay for it. It has fundamentally moved from a tax on the only TV services available, to a tax on owning the hardware of a TV set itself.

This has got to be wrong.

Even with road tax, you can view it as not the hardware that's being taxed, but road usage (although this could be improved through proper metering, e.g similar methods to London congestion charging).

Wasn't there a case that went to European court about having to pay BBC licence fee yet not watching BBC at all?

As for the perspective that we need to continue to fund BBC to ensure impartial and educational programming... I do have some sympathy with that, but believe we need more of a balance between market forces (i.e. what do we want to watch) and the nanny state.

Edited by xian

[...]

BBC director general Mark Thompson said a 2.3% rise above inflation

Can anyone spot the mismatch here?

That’s the price Blair makes us pay state controlled media because he’s made em peddle an inflation busting amount of propaganda last year.

Why not try a good old read, a book that has jumped to the No8 top seller on Amazon overnight after the BBC forgot to tell you about it and who recommended it two days ago.

tryed to attach it , only 887kb but thats too big for the site

Ok Checkout "The Rogue State" as recommended by non other that Bin-Laden himself in his last recording

Edited by Justice

Was not a topic recently started which said tha the ONS had redefined the licence fee as a tax and that it would no longer contribute to CPI in their figures?

My imagination?

BBC, load of expensive, biased, total rot.

So is the other lot.

Does anybody have a link to a summary of exactly what the law is regarding license inspectors? I've never paid the licence fee since 1997 and nothing has ever happened. I'd be interested to know exactly what my rights are when they do get around to extorting me.

Was not a topic recently started which said tha the ONS had redefined the licence fee as a tax and that it would no longer contribute to CPI in their figures?

My imagination?

BBC, load of expensive, biased, total rot.

So is the other lot.

Not imagination. Was on C4 news.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/cpst0106.pdf

• the television licence fee, previously classified as a service charge,

is being reclassified as a tax;

• the BBC remains in the public sector, but is being reclassified from

the public non-financial corporations sector to central government;

• Channel Four Wales (S4C) is similarly being reclassified.

My imagination?

No, you're quite right, I mentioned this a couple of days ago, however it involves 'statistics' so it's tedious, maybe if they changed their name to the Office Of Overt And Elegant Robbery people would take notice.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/cpst0106.pdf

• the BBC remains in the public sector, but is being reclassified from

the public non-financial corporations sector to central government;

• Channel Four Wales (S4C) is similarly being reclassified.

Well they're now admitting the truth.

An arm of CENTRAL Government.

That Mr. Orwell must have a wry smile on his face.

"I told you so".

I'm happy to pay my TV license, even if it was double the amount. The BBC is still the envy of the world, it's one of the last thing us Brits can feel proud of. The alternative is more advertising and being spoonfed more American dross. Murdoch is already lobbying to restrict access to news.bbc.co.uk so that he can charge for www.skynews.co.uk.

Sundays headline in one of the papers was about how much our friends at the beeb had wasted on the expenses. Can’t remember the exact figures but total expenses ran to £36 million something like £18 million on air fares for jollies for the boys.

The beebs tax on the poor won't last forever, you don’t have to pay it. When the TV detector van comes, (actually this a BBC lie spread to worry god fearing folk, its usually a man with a clipboard), just don’t answer the door. If they do finally get that annoyed with you and get a search warrant the fine will be about £150 if your plead guilty by post. £1000 fine,,, rubbish.

People are usually caught because they let them in and incriminate themselves by signing a document saying yes I haven’t got a TV license, I admit this etc etc. No document, no conviction. The company which does the detection is a private company making profits from the misery of others. They get paid on commission and generally its poor single women who get caught because they are at home during the day when the beebs enforcement boys arrive. Not knowing that they can refuse entry many people are bullied on the doorstep into letting these parasites in. When I was a uni I remember reading a paper on how many women were in jail because of not paying court fines for not having a license fee, cant remember the figures but it was stupidly high. Something like 30% of women in jail.

I don’t have a TV because I don’t need one. I have a massive, flat screen LCD screen on top of my docking station though. My rabbit hutch dingy flat that I rent is not big enough to swing a cat never mind a big TV. Being a computer geek the only programs I watch are generally American programs such as Lost, 24 etc and I download them using Bit Torrent. Doesn’t stop those morons from coming around with their clipboards and harassing me. I usually tell them to go **** themselves and slam the door in the face. The snotty letters they send get posted straight back. I’m at most girlfriends most nights and do watch her TV. (she has a license) Maybe one day when house prices crash and we move into together into our value for money home I will get one.

TV's are changing (LCD no TV tuner included anyone?) and so is the way we watch it, as more people embrace new technology and it becomes legal to download the latest episodes of programs from other countries then the beep will find itself more and more pushed aside. One day when the geek factor has been removed from the internet and it becomes very easy to watch what you want when you want then the license fee will be a forgotten tax assigned to the dustbin, written about by children working from home in the virtual schools of the future.

Ah so you're an illegally downloading thief as well as a real charmer in your bedsit? I bet you love The Matrix too.

It's no better having sky unless you stay up late and then some times you get to see half the truth when everone else is in bed.

Few weeks ago I watch Conspiracy on Sky two about the invasion of iraq and the events of 9-11.

was thinking it would be the normal whitewash (Sorry about racist word) but it pulled no punches and most of what presented was a matter of fact

I recommend all those that believe the official story about 9-11 to see it as they must believe any dam thing they are told from the TV so this will convince them

I'm happy to pay my TV license, even if it was double the amount. The BBC is still the envy of the world, it's one of the last thing us Brits can feel proud of

:lol::lol::lol:

Who are you speaking for ?

"Being a computer geek the only programs I watch are generally American programs such as Lost, 24 etc and I download them using Bit Torrent. "

Like you I use a torrent client, bet few here know what we are talking about so let me help em.

It lets you download anything you want from the internet for free from music to the latest movie, eBooks and more.

The Files are not centralised on a server but shared amongst uses and do not reside in one central place. It’s a bit slow but the torrent client programs run in the background

IF YOU DON'T USE A TORRENT THEN YOU ARE STUPID

Edited by Justice

Does anybody have a link to a summary of exactly what the law is regarding license inspectors? I've never paid the licence fee since 1997 and nothing has ever happened. I'd be interested to know exactly what my rights are when they do get around to extorting me.

Go here

www.taith.org.uk/tv/ambiguous.htm

for a quick summary of the law, basically you are very unlikely to go to court if you don’t let them in. If they see a TV in your living room then you may get a search warrant however it is legal to own a TV as long as you don’t watch TV but maybe use it to watch Videos. If you have a TV Arial plugged in then your in trouble but if a TV cant be seen and heard and you don’t allow them access then you will be very unlikely to be caught. They have no legal right to enter your home without a warrant. With child rapists, killers and muggers on the loose the police and courts have much better things to do than issue warrants for TV license dodgers. When you invite them in and incriminate yourself your admitting the offence that’s were most dodgers slip up, it will only take the magistrate 30 seconds to sign the form.

You can get a more in depth guide on dodging the BBC's poll tax here.

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Note that I do not condone breaking the law. (I don't have a traditional TV with a tuner; hence I am not breaking the law) Before anyone slates me, I pay all my taxes, road tax, council tax etc.

I'm happy to pay my TV license, even if it was double the amount. The BBC is still the envy of the world, it's one of the last thing us Brits can feel proud of. The alternative is more advertising and being spoonfed more American dross. Murdoch is already lobbying to restrict access to news.bbc.co.uk so that he can charge for www.skynews.co.uk.

Once I would have agreed with you. No longer.

World Service may have something to offer but, iirc, that is funded by the Foreign Office.

I hold no brief for Murdoch either.

ALL media offerings are presented from a viewpoint, there is no neutrality.

You have to find as many as possible, deconstruct each and try to come to a personal opinion as to what may be some sort of truth.

A minefield.