House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This year's election cycles: US, Brexit, seem to have popularized a number of phrases. I've heard Alt-right, Fake-News, Post-truth and maybe snowflake and sjw can be included. Can anyone think of others?

This is a longer list I put together with some definitions

Post truth - relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less important in shaping public opinion than emotional or personal beliefs.

Alt right - Non mainstream right wingers such as Breitbart - generally to the right of mainstream parties.

Faux news / Fake news - news stories that don't agree with the mainstream establishment narrative, credited with winning the election for Trump. See also: Fox News

Snowflake: An overly sensitive person, incapable of dealing with any opinions that differ from their own.  - Maybe originates from Fight Club

Safe space: Banning of anyone who has opinions different from your own. Frequently used in university campuses to discourage alternatives to the left wing narrative.

No Platforming: Banning speakers who share alternative views from the leftwing narrative from speaking at debates. Complaining to press/TV if they invite such people in order to shut down debate.

SJW: Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation.

Virtue signalling: Tweeting a picture of yourself saying "#HelpIsComing" then doing bugger all about it.

Yolo: You Only Live Once

Millenials: Millenials are people born between the years of 1980 and 1995.

Oh My God! : Automatic response to everything from a chipped fingernail to all-out nuclear war:

Snacking/Grazing: Eating rubbish both at home and on the street at all hours of the day and night.

Lessons will be learned: Nothing will be done..

Because this is "<insert year>".  used in the context as an explanation why something shouldnt be happening.

3 minutes ago, Bloo Loo said:

Because this is "<1984>".  used in the context as an explanation why something shouldnt be happening.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

This is a longer list I put together with some definitions

Post truth - relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less important in shaping public opinion than emotional or personal beliefs.

Alt right - Non mainstream right wingers such as Breitbart - generally to the right of mainstream parties.

Faux news / Fake news - news stories that don't agree with the mainstream establishment narrative, credited with winning the election for Trump. See also: Fox News

Snowflake: An overly sensitive person, incapable of dealing with any opinions that differ from their own.  - Maybe originates from Fight Club

Safe space: Banning of anyone who has opinions different from your own. Frequently used in university campuses to discourage alternatives to the left wing narrative.

No Platforming: Banning speakers who share alternative views from the leftwing narrative from speaking at debates. Complaining to press/TV if they invite such people in order to shut down debate.

SJW: Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation.

Virtue signalling: Tweeting a picture of yourself saying "#HelpIsComing" then doing bugger all about it.

Yolo: You Only Live Once

Brexit:  Brexit

Micro Aggression: perceived aggression from nothing i.e Saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes and they take offence because they may be of a different religion. 

Macro Aggression:

Punching said person in the face for being a tool.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Feck I'm a millennial! Better start crying at shit that doesn't go my way and calling for old people (45+) to lose their vote because they won't have to live with the consequences! Waa Waa I'm a ******ing snowflake. 

3 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Sh#tlord: The polar opposite of a SJW. Ridicules fat activists/feminists and embraces his adversaries hatred as a badge of honour. 

and there was me thinking it was someone who was into badly maintained BTLs

I would like to add the word 'Islamonauseated' to the common lexicon. It reflects my feelings about the banal nastiness practiced by some members of the Islamic faith. This unpleasantness includes but is not limited to an attempted literal adherence to a set of values formulated in the 7th century, a complete disregard for the values and sensitivities of other faiths (including none), contempt for half the population, all of which is accompanied with a magnificent sense of entitlement. The word lacks the implicit racism of Islamophobia. 

Notaphobia. An irrational and morbid fear of paper currency.

I just made that up. You read it here first.

Edit: I was rigorous with the etymology - currency note collectors are 'notaphiles' - but I now realise my new word could be parsed as 'not a phobia'.

I was able to think properly before all these new phrases were heard. These are labels to confuse people with.

Can't we go back to "hep cats" and "squares"?