House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Will The Olympics Be Good For Britain?

Just wondering about the impact of the olympics on life in the uk. I think it's great that we got it, and

I thought it must have some positive effect until I found -

http://mutualfunds.about.com/od/news/a/2004_olymics.htm

Will the olympics revive London or will it kill the UK?

Will we manage to turn a profit?

Will it prolong a crash?

Will more people take up jogging?

Should I invest in lycra?

Will I think of any more inane questions?

I can't remember ever having an olympics in a house price crash. Perhaps things really are different this time!

Londoners, general taxpayers, and sponsors will pay for it.

A few bits of East London and the tourist industry will do well out of it.

I know they talk about the Olympics being profitable, but when the profits are reaped by different people to those that pay for it, I think the calculation is bogus.

Who wants to host an event full of people running about and throwing things, however well?

Bah humbug, bloody sport.

there hasint been an olympics yet that was profittable

sydney,moscow,athens,los angeles you name it. After each olympics the stories come out about redundent stadiams no longer needed and costing money sitting idle ect ect.

All it will do is give london a couple of weeks tourist boost for hotels/pubs/restaurants/airlines/retail ect

who is pushing this idea around that becuase they come to watch the olympics they wilkl somehow buy property too.

utter crap, there is probably no people from any country that could afford london prices for property as it is, its the most expensive in the world.

now if it was in athens there might be about 30 countries more wealthy hence more to spend on a holiday home/btl ect.but london??????

people aint gonna buy a btl or holiday home more expensive than there own residence and london that will be the case for everyone part from perhaps tokyo.

A couple of things are happening and will happen.

Those who have lived in Stratford and owned property there have effectively win lottery tickets worth at least 10k per property.

Stratford is one of the most run-down sh*tholes in London and the redevelopments will certainly clean the are up and therefore add value to those properties already owned by residents.

As prices go up the area will become less rough and rents will go up. This will force some of the poorer residents out to cheaper areas nearby or outside London.

Secondly...and perhaps more significant that the house-market...is the effect the Olympics will have on some listed companies.

Some building companies (those that win the contracts) will do very well out of the Olympics and so will their share prices. Get investing!

Just wondering about the impact of the olympics on life in the uk. I think it's great that we got it, and

Will it prolong a crash?

I can't remember ever having an olympics in a house price crash. Perhaps things really are different this time!

Well.. 2012...

I will be too close to 40 to care.. damn..

Is it too late to start training..?

Michael said "Olympics will have no effect .......even on the area of London where they're being held".

I have a great deal of sympathy for that view as I believe the area is gaining a huge amount of investment anyway (irrespective of the Olympics). eg Eurostar station / high speed link to Kent / Paris etc and "Stratford City" which is a little up in the air at the minute (due to the Olympics) but was basically a 5000 home plus equivalent retail space plus equivalent office space investment. Fundementalss such as proximaty to City / Docklands are good.

Donnie

"Those who have lived in Stratford and owned property there have effectively win lottery tickets worth at least 10k per property."

Yes, depending on when / if they sell.

"Stratford is one of the most run-down sh*tholes in London and the redevelopments will certainly clean the are up and therefore add value to those properties already owned by residents."

Rubbish. Huge swathes of East London are much worse than Stratford. Leyton, Custom House, Canning Town, Clapton, Forest Gate, East Ham, Manor Park, Plaistow off the top of my head. And Tottenham in North London, and Feltham and Eltham in south and west. It is easy to slag off a poor bit of london but toi say it is one of the worst bits of London is both misleading and unfair. And to say it will "certainly clean the area up" is rubbish too... it'll sort out the derelict areas of the site but we may find the rest of Stratford get's overlooked and underfunded.

"As prices go up the area will become less rough and rents will go up. This will force some of the poorer residents out to cheaper areas nearby or outside London.

Secondly...and perhaps more significant that the house-market...is the effect the Olympics will have on some listed companies.

Some building companies (those that win the contracts) will do very well out of the Olympics and so will their share prices. Get investing!"

Some fair points.

I can't see the Olympics being good for Britain, and I'm not sure it'll be great for London or Stratford either. The only effect it has had so far is in encouraging BTL investors to the area who are looking at a "trophy investment" rather than analysing the fundementals.

FF

I have no problem with the long overdue development of the Lea Valley area but you just know when Ken Livingston whines that its 'only' going to cost every Londoner 'the price of a walnut whip' that we are very likely to be in for a Dome style public money over - spending fiasco and guess who picks up the tab? More ferre roche than walnut whip I think. :blink:

LL

It is easy to slag off a poor bit of london but toi say it is one of the worst bits of London is both misleading and unfair. And to say it will "certainly clean the area up" is rubbish too... it'll sort out the derelict areas of the site but we may find the rest of Stratford get's overlooked and underfunded.

A fair point.

It is one of the worst sh*tholes I have visited in London. I haven't been to most of the places FF talks about...they're the sort of places you would never have a reason to visit.

You could ask what the commonwealth did for manchester - they built some nice stadium stuff, (still not done the metroline to it though) and knocked down a load of houses and built some new stuff.

A fair point.

It is one of the worst sh*tholes I have visited in London. I haven't been to most of the places FF talks about...they're the sort of places you would never have a reason to visit.

sadly, I do have a reason for visiting them, but then again I lived for 12 years in Middlesbrough so it the deprivation doesn't shock me (although certain other things do)

so far as the Olympics are concerned, yeah we all know Athens was bankrupted, Montreal is still paying and all that... but Barca seems like a pretty sad one to me. When I visited the village two years ago I was struck by just how spooky the whole thing was... an immense development that must have cost billions and it was completely and utterly deserted. It was also just getting to that age (12yrs) where early signs of neglect and age were starting to set in and there was just this tremendous pervasive sense of abandonment about the whole thing.

Considering how busy and vibrant the rest of the city was it was odd just how much of a collective blind eye was turned to it... like they were a bit ashamed or something. I could only compare it to the Dome here, which can be seen from my office but when I first mentioned it to my colleagues they all pretended not to have heard me.

Will it prolong a crash?

I think the only folk who'll benefit from the olympics are muggers, pick pockets & other such low-lifes (EAs etc)

You could ask what the commonwealth did for manchester - they built some nice stadium stuff, (still not done the metroline to it though) and knocked down a load of houses and built some new stuff.

ah yes, the "council house" aka "Wastelands" aka "the Boo Camp" home of MCFC. Another half-empty white (blue) elephant built via subsidy of Mancunian Council Tax payers. Many of which were innocent and wholesome United fans.

and the non-existent bigbang expansion of the trams which cost a tenth as much as Crossrail but got scotched in favour of the latter. Not that I want to set off any kinda north/south thing here, you understand? :)

Syd-en-ney was good. Good short term benefits from lots of tourists and overseas branding, good long term benefits from nice new facilities, tarted-up town centre, new transport links etc etc and a no house price crash afterwards despite what was posted earlier. And you got Roy and HG on the telly every night.

ah yes, the "council house" aka "Wastelands" aka "the Boo Camp" home of MCFC. Another half-empty white (blue) elephant built via subsidy of Mancunian Council Tax payers. Many of which were innocent and wholesome United fans.

and the non-existent bigbang expansion of the trams which cost a tenth as much as Crossrail but got scotched in favour of the latter. Not that I want to set off any kinda north/south thing here, you understand? :)

Since when was the last time you got any Manure fans living in Manchester....the 1920s....?

Edited by van hoogstraten

"Stratford is one of the most run-down sh*tholes in London and the redevelopments will certainly clean the are up and therefore add value to those properties already owned by residents."

Rubbish. Huge swathes of East London are much worse than Stratford. Leyton, Custom House, Canning Town, Clapton, Forest Gate, East Ham, Manor Park, Plaistow off the top of my head. And Tottenham in North London, and Feltham and Eltham in south and west. It is easy to slag off a poor bit of london but toi say it is one of the worst bits of London is both misleading and unfair. And to say it will "certainly clean the area up" is rubbish too... it'll sort out the derelict areas of the site but we may find the rest of Stratford get's overlooked and underfunded.

My god Father Fred. But what you choose to compare it with? I have lived there. Hence I believe I am qualified to speak. Donnie, I reckon you statement stands. Mind you, gentrification or not, I wouldn't go back.

The only reason for the Olympics in any country is because the Politicians of any country think that a grateful populance will unite in common fervour and think those same Politicians somehow capable.

Pure attempt to manipulate populations' feelings.

You might call it, yet again, an example of "Bread and Circuses".

Very expensive example.

thx donnie, more reasonable!

elizabeth. when did you live in stratford?

stratford is poor, scruffy, very mixed ethnic community and not a great place for kids (i love multi-culturalism, but i don't believe kids get the best education if the teacher is trying to teach english to half the kids!)

BUT, there are a lot of worse bits of london. I stand by that. I feel safe in stratford and it's got some fairly good shops and pubs.

as for slating the whole east end, yesterday i visited parts of bow. i sat in a pub with my girlfriend (who has lived most of her twenties in north and west london) and who said - unprompted - that the pubs in east london were much better than those in the west. we walked 100 metres up the road to tredegar square where youu have genuinely desirable houses that sell for up to £1M. this is a mile up the road from stratford.

sorry to be so pedantic, but it's very easy to slate an area, when the reality of living there can be very different despite the poverty.

ff

the last olympics in greece cost the greeks approx $10 billion and almost bankrupted the country.

it was a financial disaster for them

i can only hope its the cheeky cockney chappies in london that will be paying for the olympics and not the rest of the uk who will only get no benefit and probably a massive bill.

as for slating the whole east end, yesterday i visited parts of bow. i sat in a pub with my girlfriend (who has lived most of her twenties in north and west london) and who said - unprompted - that the pubs in east london were much better than those in the west. we walked 100 metres up the road to tredegar square where youu have genuinely desirable houses that sell for up to £1M. this is a mile up the road from stratford.

very true. I briefly lived in a very nice bit of Mile End. Beautiful flat, lovely square, pretty cheap. The equivalent out west would have be double the money

Guest Charlie The Tramp

stratford is poor, scruffy, very mixed ethnic community and not a great place for kids (i love multi-culturalism, but i don't believe kids get the best education if the teacher is trying to teach english to half the kids!)

Hi Father Fred, I remember you and I having a chat at the Pub Meet. I myself moved from Stratford

38 years ago, it was a dump then and IMO a bigger dump now. Strange the number of people who have moved fom Stratford and Plaistow to where I live and paying high prices to do so.

Those I know were thankful to escape ( their words ) from hell.

Hi Father Fred, I remember you and I having a chat at the Pub Meet. I myself moved from Stratford

38 years ago, it was a dump then and IMO a bigger dump now. Strange the number of people who have moved fom Stratford and Plaistow to where I live and paying high prices to do so.

Those I know were thankful to escape ( their words ) from hell.

and i remember you too! you ok charlie?

i can only comment on the last 13 years (forest gate, stratford and bow) and the first few years i was new to london so didn't know a lot.

i can see why people would hate stratford and plaistow. and i wouldn't mind living in a nicer bit of london or back in surrey where i come from.

BUT, stratford has a lot going for it IMHO (plaistow less so!)

Yes, depending on when / if they sell.

I can't see the Olympics being good for Britain, and I'm not sure it'll be great for London or Stratford either. The only effect it has had so far is in encouraging BTL investors to the area who are looking at a "trophy investment" rather than analysing the fundementals.

i can see why people would hate stratford and plaistow. and i wouldn't mind living in a nicer bit of london or back in surrey where i come from.

BUT, stratford has a lot going for it IMHO (plaistow less so!)

Wot he said ;)B)