Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Energy from the food bank

Recommended Posts

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/100957/voucher-scheme-is-a-godsend-to-fuel-poor


It's sort of a good idea. Lots of stories about people only wanting food they can eat cold as they have no energy> BUT as so many of us cynical people will have already considered, this further adds in to more incentive for people to take the piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with food banks is that they encourage people to do less and less for themselves.

You get people who cannot be ar5ed filling in their benefit forms going there and getting the people in.

Food banks need to kick ar5e and make pople work for their food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we had a perfect system of benefits that worked efficiently, paid people their money when it was due, paid people an appropriate level of money, and ensured that they would be better off for even working one hour a week then none of this would be necessary.

The benefits street scrounger playing the system does exist but is being cracked down upon; if you're a new claimat then watch out.  If you are a new claimant wihout dependents or disability then you will probably find yourself visiting one of these places.

They are also called upon by people in minimum wage zero hours contracts who have to pay the enormous level of rents of this distorted economy.

There is a voucher system; you need to be referred by an agency so you are assessed.

Food banks should not be necesary but they are.  It makes sense to also provide some other essentials; I don't know why they don't also provide clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spyguy said:

Beer tokens next.

 Which - back in the 80s - was a popular euphemism for the fortnightly giro that dropped through your letter-box two days after you'd "signed-on"

As in: Why are you waiting at the door for the postman John..? Well isn't it obvious man - Me beer-tokens are due this morning..!

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mum was telling me that a food bank that her branch of the WI collects for does not want any food this Christmas as it has enough, instead they want toiletries and other things that don't often get contributed.  Far from filling a few days gap for the absolutely desperate, it sounds like it is turning into more of a shopping mall.  Complain to the volunteers that you don't have something, and expect them to supply it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If we had a perfect system of benefits that worked efficiently, paid people their money when it was due, paid people an appropriate level of money, and ensured that they would be better off for even working one hour a week then none of this would be necessary.

The benefits street scrounger playing the system does exist but is being cracked down upon; if you're a new claimat then watch out.  If you are a new claimant wihout dependents or disability then you will probably find yourself visiting one of these places.

They are also called upon by people in minimum wage zero hours contracts who have to pay the enormous level of rents of this distorted economy.

There is a voucher system; you need to be referred by an agency so you are assessed.

Food banks should not be necesary but they are.  It makes sense to also provide some other essentials; I don't know why they don't also provide clothes.

As originally envisaged the welfare state after the second world war was designed to provide things such as housing, health care, free school milk, cod liver oil for kids etc etc rather than cash.  I think it was still modelled on the war time rationing principle that you were given what it was felt you needed rather than what you wanted. The idea of paying all benefits in cash only really took off in the 1970s. In part I think that was because governments used it as a way to push up consumer turnover and thus growth. Of course, Gordon Brown pumped up the whole edifice on steroids and rendered it unaffordable. Now that the system is slowly being reeled back in it is creating  it's own problems with some people still enjoying relatively  generous payments while others are struggling to get the basic necessities on which to live. It is interesting that despite the huge demands of war the British rationing system operated reasonably fairly while our current generation of politicians and administrators apparently struggle to cope at all. Maybe it is time to return to the original principles upon which it was designed.

One thing to bear in mind is that among the main beneficiaries of the current cash based benefit system are not the claimants but the various employers, retailers, landlords etc who get their revenue streams or wages subsidized by the taxpayer. Some of the hostility to the idea that people get stuff for free at places like food banks is that there is no cash changing hands in the process so a lot of vested interests don't get to take their cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reddog said:

My mum was telling me that a food bank that her branch of the WI collects for does not want any food this Christmas as it has enough, instead they want toiletries and other things that don't often get contributed.  Far from filling a few days gap for the absolutely desperate, it sounds like it is turning into more of a shopping mall.  Complain to the volunteers that you don't have something, and expect them to supply it!

Some years ago during a house move (my final into the rented property we subsequently bought) I took the opportunity to destock our shelves of all the accumulated tins of food we never ate, all still good to eat and in date. Taking a bootful to the nearest food bank I was amazed to have nearly all of it turned away, including my baked beans stash and was told that certain foods stigmatise the people that they were reaching out to. Unbelievable really and I ended up putting it in the bin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Some years ago during a house move (my final into the rented property we subsequently bought) I took the opportunity to destock our shelves of all the accumulated tins of food we never ate, all still good to eat and in date. Taking a bootful to the nearest food bank I was amazed to have nearly all of it turned away, including my baked beans stash and was told that certain foods stigmatise the people that they were reaching out to. Unbelievable really and I ended up putting it in the bin.

Tinned hummus and perhaps artichoke hearts would have been OK, then?  A pack or two of quinoa or couscous?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

Tinned hummus and perhaps artichoke hearts would have been OK, then?  A pack or two of quinoa or couscous?  

It was such a long time ago that my memory fails me. What I do remember is that they took my tinned tuna and sweet corn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2016 at 9:28 AM, spyguy said:

Beer tokens next.

 

Don't diagnosed alcoholics already get additional benefits money for the purchase of beer?

 

Or is that just a myth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nome said:

Don't diagnosed alcoholics already get additional benefits money for the purchase of beer?

 

Or is that just a myth?

Sort of.

They get classified as disabled, so get DLA.

And, as they get DLA, they also qualify for a Motability car.

Been thru this with now dead alchi mother in law.

Do not classify addictions as fcking disability. And dont, for fcksake, give them a car.

Took the keys off the stupid bint after shed drove it into a dtich p1ssed..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   90 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.