House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Am I A Cynic?

So,  fictitious friend of a friend.. 

1 ) First I hear they've borrowed some money (no mention of how much)

2 ) Then shortly after I hear they've suddenly started gambling a bit.

3 ) Now I hear they've announced they'll shortly be leaving the country - one way ticket - with a plan to invest in (restore/flip) property with some cash that's come from nowhere.

I am 100% convinced they fully intend to do point 3 as they've been talking about it for ages.

Any thoughts from the forum about this entirely hypothetical situation?

Den Perry Did It..!!!

253E24B500000578-0-Mr_Robbins_plays_Den_

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

1 hour ago, libspero said:

So,  fictitious friend of a friend.. 

1 ) First I hear they've borrowed some money (no mention of how much)

2 ) Then shortly after I hear they've suddenly started gambling a bit.

3 ) Now I hear they've announced they'll shortly be leaving the country - one way ticket - with a plan to invest in (restore/flip) property with some cash that's come from nowhere.

I am 100% convinced they fully intend to do point 3 as they've been talking about it for ages.

Any thoughts from the forum about this entirely hypothetical situation?

No, you're a sceptic.

If it was above board then... a fool and their money are soon parted. 

I have heard of several cases of people obtaining unsecured borrowings and leaving the country for "investment" purposes. On the one hand I feel more fool the lender but then mind myself that we will all pay for it.  

14 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

If it was above board then... a fool and their money are soon parted. 

I have heard of several cases of people obtaining unsecured borrowings and leaving the country for "investment" purposes. On the one hand I feel more fool the lender but then mind myself that we will all pay for it.  

That's similar to my take on it..  but I'm not 100% sure how the gambling bit fits in,  other than if you leave the country after borrowing the money you are burning your bridges and presumably liable to legal action if you return.  I guess if you have enough gambling receipts showing you lost it all (obviously,  not mentioning the winning ones) then you could just claim you had a gambling habit and declare yourself bankrupt and a sorry case.

Hence the cynical bit..   it could equally be that it is all above board and or coincidence. 

Guy I knew of did similar in the 80s. Arranged for the family to migrate to Oz. He went for every source of credit he could get. Lots of store cards. People ordered new stuff from him, 3 piece suites and the like, he'd buy it and they'd give him 50% of the price in cash for it.

He got a lot of cash doing that but hated Oz and brought the family back 5 months later. The council had tinned up his old home. He got some tools from a mate, removed the shutters and moved back in. Told the council the next day and they let him stay. afaik, no repercussions from the bad debts apart from his credit rating being tanked for 6 years or so.