• Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
On 28/11/2016 at 10:27 PM, TheBlueCat said:

It has always been thus - when I was a kid (40+ years ago) there was the same divide. To my ears now, "could of" makes no sense but, then, I'm an old fart.

When I started this thread I agreed with you but of now been convinced that I of been overly pedantic.

I now realise that the use have "of" in place have "have" is normal linguistic evolution. Or of I? Have course I of not, it's gibberish! 

HOLA447

There was once a special offer on New Zeeland Chedder in my local Asda.  

On the same day there was another printed sign informing us that rasers were now in the shampoo aisle.  

But I think they no longer have the sign saying that if you couldn't find what you wanted, you should ask a colleague. 

Maybe one or two  poor souls really did think they had to phone someone at work to ask where the Dijon mustard was. 

HOLA448
15 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

When I started this thread I agreed with you but of now been convinced that I of been overly pedantic.

I now realise that the use have "of" in place have "have" is normal linguistic evolution. Or of I? Have course I of not, it's gibberish! 

I can see language moving a lot faster now and not in the way we'd like; prepare to see "of" becoming a valid alternative to " 've" in the very near future.

My reasoning is that the genie is now out of the bottle with regard to written and published English for a wider audience (letters and emails reach only narrow readerships); previously this was the preserve of newspapers and publishers but now it is open to anybody with a smart phone.

With this post I have published my written English to an audience; we all do it several times a day. This means that written English will now start evolving as quickly as spoken English.

IMHO.

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can see language moving a lot faster now and not in the way we'd like; prepare to see "of" becoming a valid alternative to " 've" in the very near future.

My reasoning is that the genie is now out of the bottle with regard to written and published English for a wider audience (letters and emails reach only narrow readerships); previously this was the preserve of newspapers and publishers but now it is open to anybody with a smart phone.

With this post I have published my written English to an audience; we all do it several times a day. This means that written English will now start evolving as quickly as spoken English.

IMHO.

I think we can blame advertisers too, at least for the imminent death of adverbs since "Think Different".

HOLA4410
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

The later. 

HOLA4411
On 12/1/2016 at 1:53 PM, Bossybabe said:

The later. 

I sore what you did there.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

I sore what you did there.

XYY

Not much escapes your eager eyes, XYY. 

HOLA4414
22 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Not much escapes your eager eyes, XYY. 

Indeed.

I have been blessed with a magnificent pear.

XYY

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Indeed.

XYY

Pear of wot?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
12 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Indeed.

XYY

I've also been blessed with a magnificent pear, too. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived