House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Dress Codes

I'm interested in dress codes I see at work and outside and the subliminal messages they convey. I'm currently working for a multinational technology company based in France. France means that men don't have to wear ties, or even suits to work. The average age at my office is 47 !

Starting with the women I see:

1. Women in trouser suits or typical male clothing. I assume these women are not to be messed with and this is what they are saying. 10% of staff.

2. Women in "home" type clothing - jeans, t-shirt or cardigan. Smart, casual. Most of the men dress in a similar way. About a third of employees. Men likely to replace jumper with hoody.

3.Women in "evening" wear. Slightly below the knee dresses like they are going to a NY eve party. I guess the age range these are women who are showing off their fashion sense. About a third.

4. Women in "party" wear: very short skirts, leather dresses, leather trousers or c-thru sailing type white trousers. We're not really in the age range for this kind of wear. Did they come straight from a club?

5. Men in suits - senior management only, or cleaners, where I am.

Not that many men in suits around here. Not  many ties either, come to think of it. Shirt and smart-ish trousers seems to be the norm, but they don't really seem to care as long as you don't turn up in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Just as well really, bloody stupid idea to have any sort of dress code unless you're in a position where you have to deal with people external to the company (I very rarely do, the suit gets dragged out from the back of the cupboard and the dust-covered iron located whenever that happens).

Trackies, tshirts, jeans, very occasionally a polo neck if someone is feeling like some sartorial elegance for a change.

Software developers are a bunch of scruffs.

Women?  I wish.

I have black trousers and dark blue jumpers. Identical ones. Then a variety of mostly-black t-shirts but you only get to see a bit of it anyway.  

I wear a suit and tie every day, as I've had enough of looking scruffy. But then, I'm not a software developer, I work on construction sites.

I don't like to look too slobby. Only wear a tie for customer meetings.

I work in a smallish company, about 50 staff, and we can wear what we want. Work provides branded t-shirts and almost everyone wears those - might as well rather than wear your own clothes out 

When out visiting customers I wear whatever matches them, but never a tie. I think the tie is pretty much dead as a thing these days.

I wear a green polo with my logo, black combats and steel toe boots, and a Boonie hat. I look awesome.

11 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I wear a green polo with my logo, black combats and steel toe boots, and a Boonie hat. I look awesome.

Are you a terrorist or just a prepper?

I used to go for a suit, tie and even shirts with double cuffs, but I really can't be bothered now.

Work in a strange office, working on a project with a few different rival 'consultantancies' all based on a blue chip clients site.  Most of the client staff are pretty scruffy, but some of the 'consultantancies' must have pretty strict dress codes as they are all forced to wear suits.  My own company has a dress code, but I tend to ignore it and wear smartish not faded jeans, a shirt and maybe a plain jumper.

5 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Are you a terrorist or just a prepper?

Not quite anything that interesting, I just cut grass mostly B)

Marks and Spencers chinos (in a fairly light colour, to extend the number of washes before they become too faded).

Marks and Spencers white shirt (or an Asda white shirt if I'm feeling cheapskate).

Meindl Cambridge shoes. The prepper's choice. They look smart-ish, but when the zombie apocalypse starts I will be able to walk for miles in them.

I keep a tie in my desk, in case some senior management type makes a surprise visit.

I also keep a pair of emergency backup trousers in my desk, in case I run to work and forget to put trousers in my rucksack.

I like the thought of emergency backup trousers.

I don't bother with ties at all now despite it being Company dress code to wear them with customers/external stakeholders. Sat in meetings with the MD/board and it has never been mentioned so will continue on with it. I tend to wear suit trousers or black smart chinos with a supermarket bought white shirt. Complemented with a V-neck/Turtle neck jumper over the top in the winter. Smart shoes as well. Smart, if not formal, is Company policy - I am probably one of the smarter looking ones actually as a lot of people seem to sail fairly close to the wind. I would probably find it difficult to get fully suited and booted every day again, perhaps even avoiding a role if I thought I had to.

12 minutes ago, BristolBuyer said:

Marks and Spencers chinos (in a fairly light colour, to extend the number of washes before they become too faded).

Marks and Spencers white shirt (or an Asda white shirt if I'm feeling cheapskate).

Meindl Cambridge shoes. The prepper's choice. They look smart-ish, but when the zombie apocalypse starts I will be able to walk for miles in them.

I keep a tie in my desk, in case some senior management type makes a surprise visit.

I also keep a pair of emergency backup trousers in my desk, in case I run to work and forget to put trousers in my rucksack. sh*t myself.

FTFY.

13 hours ago, MrPin said:

I don't like to look too slobby. Only wear a tie for customer meetings.

agree.

suited and booted ALWAYS for customer introductions/senior meetings. For actually doing the job shoes+decent jeans/trousers+shirt is sufficient.

Smart trousers, decent business shirt and black Oxfords. It's easy for men.  The usual overheated office so the same all year round. I don't think there is a dress code though wearing jeans would be brought up. Most men dress similarly, some wear ties and a handful wear suits.

We have regular dress down Fridays but my usual wear is so easy and comfortable that dressing down seems too much of an effort so I don't bother.

Women generally dress smartly, though it us more effort for them, a small number are a bit shabby and an even smaller number wear dresses and look great. It was interesting to see how such better a recently promoted woman looked after she bought new clothes; nothing radically different from what she wore before but note expensive, better fabrics and it looks so much better. The effect made me think I should also be upgrading my clothes.

I don't see the point of dress down Fridays. If casual dress is OK for a Friday, why isn't it for the rest of the week?

I dress like a tramp normally so dressing down even more on a Friday presents me with a problem. So I borrow pants from a pig farmer.

20 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Bit of a weird admission.

Really? Why would you not want to look good. I've recognised that I may have fallen too far into the "a shirt's a shirt" zone and by seeing the effect upon someone else I think that to start paying more is worth it.

24 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

I don't see the point of dress down Fridays. If casual dress is OK for a Friday, why isn't it for the rest of the week?

I dress like a tramp normally so dressing down even more on a Friday presents me with a problem. So I borrow pants from a pig farmer.

I think in many areas of business not much happens on Friday with regard to meeting clients and going out on site etc. It's all part of the wind down to the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, gilf said:

I think in many areas of business not much happens on Friday with regard to meeting clients and going out on site etc. It's all part of the wind down to the weekend. 

Yep.  Bigger meetings tend not to be booked for Fridays because not everyone's there; whenever I've known people on four day week working it is always the Friday that is their usual non-working day.