House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pieman Pieface

Secret Life of a Landlord - Sympathy demanded.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/28/secret-life-landlord-housing-property-renting

I feel a twinge of guilt owning numerous homes, but it’s been my life’s work. My love of period properties offsets the never-ending daily drudgeries

He feels 'a twinge' of guilt... but clearly not much. Reading the article back its clear the guy is enough of an **** that he cannot work with other people and has behavioural problems, meaning he has no second thoughts when it comes to choosing a line of work that screws over other people. As much as he wants to suggest he's not doing it for the money, its pretty obvious from what he said that its EXACTLY why he's doing it. Am I supposed to be wiping tears from my eyes that he has to occasionally change a boiler as well? boo freaking hoo.

Not sure if anyone's posted this - article in the Guardian today telling the landlord's side of the housing-crisis story.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/28/secret-life-landlord-housing-property-renting

I skipped most of the article and just savoured the comments section where they give the landlord a good kicking! I know it's the Guardian and not indicative of the whole population - but there's a lot of anger out there and a lot of people understand the damage BTL is doing.

6 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

D**k head.

Indeed - what an utter piece of sh*t 'article'.  The comments are rather amusing.

I occasionally feel a twinge of guilt every time I just bang the rents up on my lot... then I remember all the times they phone me up on my days off (or even when they know I'm on holiday) because their boiler 'stopped working' or the carpets 'have mould'. I soon stop feeling guilty when I think of all the hassle my tenants have caused me over the years.

I have sympathy in the strictest sense of the word - I can imagine how I would feel if I found myself in his position.  I don't have any particular compassion.

One tenant who had been renting from me for five years lost their job and started drinking heavily. I found out that they had borrowed substantially to finance several months’ rent while out of work. The situation could not go on. We chatted extensively and through a combination of a rent moratorium, shortening of the contract and the promise of an excellent reference, an amicable solution was found.

He kicked him out...and wrote a false reference to foist the tenant onto some other shmuck

The article reads like a work of fiction.

The market for LL and the market for property restoration are worlds aparts.

Ones flouncey + spendy; the others cheap and nasty.

These world *never* meet.

Ill be careful here, so I dont waken my personal troll, but the line

' I have no idea where it came from, but the moment I see a house with intricate mouldings, parquet floors or other character features, my heart starts to race just thinking about how it could look once restored. Typically, a single project takes 18 months from start to finish – and many, many sleepless nights.'

reads like it was written by my cousin who restores B+B with his husband. They set off to run them but always get into restoring them and then get bored when its restored. My cousin is an a lucky idiot. He's been bailed by the bubble.

34 minutes ago, GinAndPlatonic said:

He kicked him out...and wrote a false reference to foist the tenant onto some other shmuck

Fiction.

On 28/11/2016 at 3:56 PM, thewig said:

I occasionally feel a twinge of guilt every time I just bang the rents up on my lot... then I remember all the times they phone me up on my days off (or even when they know I'm on holiday) because their boiler 'stopped working' or the carpets 'have mould'. I soon stop feeling guilty when I think of all the hassle my tenants have caused me over the years.

Humour aside.

Ive never had much problems with boilers. 1k will buy a reliable one.

Where do LL get their boilers - back of Pikey van?

34 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Ill be careful here, so I dont waken my personal troll, but the line

' I have no idea where it came from, but the moment I see a house with intricate mouldings, parquet floors or other character features, my heart starts to race just thinking about how it could look once restored. Typically, a single project takes 18 months from start to finish – and many, many sleepless nights.'

reads like it was written by my cousin who restores B+B with his husband. They set off to run them but always get into restoring them and then get bored when its restored. My cousin is an a lucky idiot. He's been bailed by the bubble.

Renter savers don't have such visions....  just creative BTLers can have that insight and heart racing pleasure imagination for doing it up, and buying it at a price that outbids renter-savers to do so.