House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

‘hikikomori’ linked to the Snowflake Generation?

November 27, 2016

Over time, she became a "hikikomori," a Japanese term used to describe the more than half a million young people in the country who stay at home and shun interaction with people outside their family. She would suffer anxiety attacks over anything unfamiliar -- even forgetting stuff for school could cause her to panic. She became increasingly uncomfortable going to school, pushing her strict parents to force her to attend.

The 30-year-old now says she’s recovering, but there are still days when she can’t drag herself out of bed for her part-time job at a university.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-27/why-half-a-million-young-japanese-can-t-face-school-or-work

An affliction of the middles classes - the result of the destruction of the middle classes?

I don't know if it something to do with progressive politics, high housing prices, multi decade low interest rates or being exposed to social media from a young age - but the West could well be following suit.

In the past people didn't have the option to do this. Of course you had a small number of people with serious issues - for whom life would have been brutal.

But for the rest who nowadays would be classed as ADHD or depressed or whatever ? Nope - they would have just got on with it.

It's got far too open and out there for all to see and worry about imo.

All these posters and the rest I imagine are in all schools these days. It's no wonder so many put themselves into categories when it's in their face every single day.

It's the googling a symptom if your'e worried about it syndrome imo. 

You won't click on the first 5 boring looking results but the ones with cancer or HIV in them are clicked within a nanosecond !!!

Youth of today have too much information. It's not a good thing. 

There is social pressure to perform/achieve to a standard that is impossible in reality. Alternatively there is an online world where you can be a hero at whatever takes your fancy. The only puzzle is why some of them don't go that way.

21 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I think that's right.

Many individuals' natural response is to avoid any potential dissonance in their lives and that includes unknown interactions.

With a 'society' you become enforced to join in - church, local groups whatever. To do that now requires motivation. A lot of people need forcing and once forced can come to enjoy it.

I don't know what to do, because I don't want to be forced yet I know it could well be good for me. And to be perfectly honest I can't be fussed because I'm perfectly happy as I am, in my own cocoon wrapped up with you lot. :rolleyes:  And also to be perfectly honest, real life just does not have as much stimulation as existing in the ether. It is so slowwwwwww......

Good post. This used to be called parenting. It is the job of the parent to try to educate their children in the ways of the world and sometimes this involves putting them in uncomfortable or unfamiliar situations so that they can gain experince. This makes them resilient and capable of facing the unknown. Starts at letting go of them so they walk on their own, but doesn't stop until they've flown the nest. The snowflakes are a result of poor/lazy/absent parenting.

A simpler way of life by default made you step outside the house and interact with society. Even simple things like going to the shops or going outside to find entertainment. 

Now in a world of convenient home shopping and computer gaming you need motivated/forceful parents to force their kids to get outside and interact.  

I expect we've all had bad periods within our lives where if staying in our bedrooms was a viable option then we'd have done it.  Initially parental pressure (as noted above) and then financial pressure meant that it wasn't an option for me.

The negative impact upon your life is however major; no parent is helping their child by facilitating this.

Giving it a name makes it worse by making it more acceptable. This parallels the statement about nobody having an eating disorder in a refugee camp. These things do eventually become serious and crippling but only get to this stage because they are allowed to start in the first place.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:59 AM, hotairmail said:

Is hikkomori named after Tobermory where there is f*ck all to do?

Nonsense. I was watching a documentary on the place on CBeebies the other day, and the place was a hive of activity...

1 hour ago, 200p said:

_59038049_children'stvtitleframedeinterl

That's Balamori

Mr B loves Balamory!   Bit of a favourites toss-up between that and Octonauts. 

Granddaughter (19 months) is in love with Mr Tumble, though.  

He was the robust one:

tobermory-womble.jpg

If there was a hikkomori womble it was probably Orinoco:

gallery-orinoco.jpg

They could never get him out of bed and even when they did he was pretty timorous.

I like the way Tobermory is wearing a womble badge. Makes me wonder where I left my 'human' badge.

I think this is largely a result of a directionless society. People need goals, both individual and collective and they need to feel that they are getting somewhere in life. With the economy in the dumps for many people and the increasing evaporation of culture I think it is easy to fall into a Nihilistic trap where you live day to day and find it easier to remove yourself from the world as oppose to try and adapt and perhaps settle for something you never wanted. What is occurring in Japan could very well happen in the West if we do not establish some kind of national identity among our nations and sort out our Economies. We already have people staying at home longer than they expected due to house price inflation and soaring rents, we have cheap electronic entertainment at our fingertips, we have a crap economy for anyone who entered the workforce after 2008. We now have Cultural Marxism running rampant, doing nothing but discouraging people from embracing society and nay kind of traditional identity. If we do not get this mess sorted in the next few years then we will be the next Japan.

3 hours ago, Renewed Investor said:

I think this is largely a result of a directionless society. People need goals, both individual and collective and they need to feel that they are getting somewhere in life...

Exactly! People need goats! I always knew this subconsciously.

7 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Mr B loves Balamory!   Bit of a favourites toss-up between that and Octonauts. 

Granddaughter (19 months) is in love with Mr Tumble, though.  

I always have rude thoughts about Miss Hooley.:huh:

I don't know any snowflake safe space SJWs in real life, all I know about them is from online and left wing media. They strike me as people who are so hungry for attention they will say anything to get it which is why they come out with the absurd things they do. In that way they are almost the polar opposite of the Japanese shut ins. They both have very little to offer in the workplace though.

On 28/11/2016 at 9:49 AM, ccc said:

In the past people didn't have the option to do this. Of course you had a small number of people with serious issues - for whom life would have been brutal.

But for the rest who nowadays would be classed as ADHD or depressed or whatever ? Nope - they would have just got on with it.

Yes, but equally we've created a world where those things are becoming ever more prevalent, due to completely and utterly missing the point about what we really need for a decent life (other than the occasional bit of hand-waving that it's all needed to bring up the standards for those in genuine hardship).

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

I always have rude thoughts about Miss Hooley.:huh:

oh yes.  You just know she is a dirty bird behind closed doors.

435698-14232-clp-950.jpg