House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Huge rise in hospital beds in England taken up by people with malnutrition

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/25/huge-rise-in-hospital-beds-in-england-taken-up-by-people-with-malnutrition

The number of hospital beds in England taken up by patients being treated for malnutrition has almost trebled over the last 10 years, in what charities say shows the “genuinely shocking” extent of hunger and poor diet.

Official figures reveal that people with malnutrition accounted for 184,528 hospital bed days last year, a huge rise on 65,048 in 2006-07. The sharp increase is adding to the pressures on hospitals, which are already struggling with record levels of overcrowding.

Critics have said the upward trend is a result of rising poverty, deep cutbacks in recent years to meals on wheels services for the elderly and inadequate social care support, especially for older people.

Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, unearthed the figures in a response to a recent parliamentary question submitted to the health minister Nicola Blackwood.

Just think what will happen if we get some good old inflation 1970's style.

21 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Id say this is more to do with people unable to cook than price.You can feed yourself very healthy food for £15 a week max.The people i see in the supermarkets who look like undertakers dummies have a trolly full of expensive junk.The others are alcos and eat a pie a day or a bag of chips on the way to the pub.

There must be lots of people who don't or can't look after themselves. I still see people walking around in a light top and 2/3 bottoms with a scarf wrapped around the arms to keep warm, walking about shivering. This isn't some night out, this was 11am today.

38 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

You're obsessed to the point of making yourself ill.

As spyguy said, this sounds like an ageing population issue.

Yes I believe that is so. I think I shall put him on ignore. He's got nothing to bring to any thread that I've seen. Pity.

There's been a big effort over the last ten years to correctly identify malnourishment in patients which may account for some of the increase.  I've looked after quite a few malnourished patients:  all due to poor self-care, none due to poverty.

8 hours ago, the gardener said:

I think I shall put him on ignore.

Well, I for one never will. "Thecrashingisles" is a one man (woman?) institution round here and has been fighting the good fight for as long as I care to remember. There was a lovely post a few years back (in the days when the avatar animations all worked), where someone said "the last thing I shall remember as I sink into dementia in my care home, is the thecrashingisles bopping cat."

This is one of the few places I know with no-holds-barred, intelligent and (usually) polite a& good natured discussion. The price of free speech is that sometimes people say things you don't agree with ... and sometimes they say them again. It's a small price.

13 hours ago, spyguy said:

Inconclusive.

Could be oaps who give all money away and dont cook.

Or it could be annorexics.

I've got a friend espousing the benefits of being vegan at the same time posting about how ill she is with a cold.

10 hours ago, Will! said:

There's been a big effort over the last ten years to correctly identify malnourishment in patients which may account for some of the increase.  I've looked after quite a few malnourished patients:  all due to poor self-care, none due to poverty.

You make a reasonable case that the current failing are down to the welfare state and, if the person had got off their asses and learned to provide and look after themselves, then you'd not be dealing with people who, to all intent and purposes, are like 60+ year old children.

Theres not medical treatment for being stupid + lazy.

Edited by spyguy

10 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

I've got a friend espousing the benefits of being vegan at the same time posting about how ill she is with a cold.

Depends.

Im a veggie, who vears to what is basically a vegan diet. I dont like dairy, so I rarely eat it.

Im very healthy and I suffer colds and the like a lot less than non veggies - or so it seems.

A lot of vegans just dont eat well. Sometime it seems a bit of a cover up for eating disorders.

Maybe they have been keeping the same number of people in three times as long as there is no social care for them to access at home.

I expect many of these cases are frail old people with no relatives nearby who are totally on their own.

Osborne cut social care funding by 40 per cent and 200000 fewer elderly people have council social care in England than in 2010 while at the same time as lavishing billions on handouts to developers and for schemes to assist well off people to buy £450,000 homes.

i hope he can sleep at night.

Thinking on this more, it points to a number of of things.

The 90 YO Mum of a woman I worked with ended up is hospital, where she eventually died.

She was classed as malnourished, mainly because her throat had shrunk/driedup, which  prevented her from eating. She lived on soup and ice cream for the last 2 years.

No one wsa to blame or anything like that. She was old and knacked; bodies dont last forever.

AS far as austerity being the cause - total BS. The woman was ashamed of how much money she was getting whilst her grandkids were forced to work and skivvy and pay high rents. In the last the 5 years of her life the council moved her to a nice flat, built her a walkin shower, send homehelps round, Her old age pension and her extra this and that meant she had more cash coming in sat on her ar5e than ger grandchildren working 50h+. She never paid a penny in payroll tax in her life. Housed by the council too -she refused to buy her council flat as she saw it as something owned by the council.

Even with her extra spends, being took out for a few outings every week, this + that, that + this, she had £400/month left over, every month.

She was genuinely upset by old people getting every thing and her grandkids getting nothing. Her words.

Like spyguy I am a veggie, almost a vegan due to the fact that I have hated cheese, butter, cream etc since I were a kid. the only dairy food I consume are eggs.

Anyway, as has been stated on this forum on many threads, the concept of being too poor to eat healthy is simply a false premise. If you can forgo meat and instead use vegetables and pulses, lentils, beans etc that are packed full of protein and cost next to nothing you can save loads of money. I can make a huge pot of dhall, or a veg curry that yields 5 to 6 meals for maybe £2/3. All you need are onions, garlic, lentils, tins of tomatoes and a few spices and a bag of rice. All of these items cost pretty much zilch. Admittedly you have to buy the spices which can cost a few £, but once purchased they last a year. Even Asda sell 100g bags of cumin, chilli, coriander, turmeric etc for around 60p.

You can make a spag bol or chilli, with quorn mince instead of beef, its often on offer for £1 a bag at supermarkets, nero fat, packed full of protein and fibre. A chill from scratch 2 onions 30p garlic bulb 30p, 2 tins of tomatoes 50p, tom puree 30p worth, 2 tins of red kidney beans 60p, chill powder, cumin and oregano £2 to buy, prob used 10p worth in this meal, bag of rice that is enough for about 10 or more meals £1. So thats a pot of chill and rice for 5 people for £3, full of protein, fibre and low in fat, sugar, salt and all the rubbish that's in mass produced processed food.

I see the problem as a lack of education regarding cooking and food in general. whenever I go round Asda I am amazed by the amount of overpriced, fatty, salty gunk that many people seem to live on. Many people have simply never learned to cook and have developed a taste for supermarket ready made food and nasty US fast food, MaccyD, Pizza joints etc.

I realise that this may come across as a bit preachy, but I scoff at the argument that people in the UK are too poor to eat healthy.

Edited by stalledFTB

7 hours ago, spyguy said:

Depends.

Im a veggie, who vears to what is basically a vegan diet. I dont like dairy, so I rarely eat it.

Im very healthy and I suffer colds and the like a lot less than non veggies - or so it seems.

A lot of vegans just dont eat well. Sometime it seems a bit of a cover up for eating disorders.

Yep same here except slightly more dairy by the sounds of it. I do get colds occasionally just like anyone else. Nearly everyone in UK is deficient in a small number of common vitamins and minerals and one of these is vitamin D. Vegan carnivore or whatever just get your D up to a reasonable level and mostly forget about colds.

2 hours ago, stalledFTB said:

Like spyguy I am a veggie, almost a vegan due to the fact that I have hated cheese, butter, cream etc since I were a kid. the only dairy food I consume are eggs.

Anyway, as has been stated on this forum on many threads, the concept of being too poor to eat healthy is simply a false premise. If you can forgo meat and instead use vegetables and pulses, lentils, beans etc that are packed full of protein and cost next to nothing you can save loads of money. I can make a huge pot of dhall, or a veg curry that yields 5 to 6 meals for maybe £2/3. All you need are onions, garlic, lentils, tins of tomatoes and a few spices and a bag of rice. All of these items cost pretty much zilch. Admittedly you have to buy the spices which can cost a few £, but once purchased they last a year. Even Asda sell 100g bags of cumin, chilli, coriander, turmeric etc for around 60p.

You can make a spag bol or chilli, with quorn mince instead of beef, its often on offer for £1 a bag at supermarkets, nero fat, packed full of protein and fibre. A chill from scratch 2 onions 30p garlic bulb 30p, 2 tins of tomatoes 50p, tom puree 30p worth, 2 tins of red kidney beans 60p, chill powder, cumin and oregano £2 to buy, prob used 10p worth in this meal, bag of rice that is enough for about 10 or more meals £1. So thats a pot of chill and rice for 5 people for £3, full of protein, fibre and low in fat, sugar, salt and all the rubbish that's in mass produced processed food.

I see the problem as a lack of education regarding cooking and food in general. whenever I go round Asda I am amazed by the amount of overpriced, fatty, salty gunk that many people seem to live on. Many people have simply never learned to cook and have developed a taste for supermarket ready made food and nasty US fast food, MaccyD, Pizza joints etc.

I realise that this may come across as a bit preachy, but I scoff at the argument that people in the UK are too poor to eat healthy.

I tend to cook my own food. Partner and kids eat earlier, i dont get home til 7pm.

I basically live on a varient of noveua dhal or pottage/soup. Just dump stuff in pressure cooker for 10 mins then leave to lose pressure.

Ill never win masterchef but ill also never starve or get rickets. My food cost barely registers. I tend to have leftovers for next days dinner at work. I ptobably spend 15 on my food a week.

Theres an asian shop that does industrial bags of lentils amd spices for a quid. And we have a good market,not organuc crap,just bags of veg for a couple ofquid. The place i use is a market garden who top up from a wholesaler.

Most people i hear complainung benefits dont let them eat proper tend to be grossly obese, the real saggy, jelly fat.

22 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Yep same here except slightly more dairy by the sounds of it. I do get colds occasionally just like anyone else. Nearly everyone in UK is deficient in a small number of common vitamins and minerals and one of these is vitamin D. Vegan carnivore or whatever just get your D up to a reasonable level and mostly forget about colds.

Im expirementing with vit d this year.

Im curious if it improves my winter mood. Im not suiciedal, just listless.

Wierdly, Ive not changed my exercise activity but my muscle strength seems to have changed, im noticably stronger.

1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

I remember Carnation milk was rammed with Vitamin D, probably to stop kids getting rickets. Was nice on top of jelly after Sunday T.

Cant stand condensed milk. Had it as a kid. 

Stuff like liver put me off meat. I think i have different taste buds as meat just taste horrid to me. Im not some animal rights nur, which people get wrong, i really dont like the taste of meat.

My partner goes Dont you miss bacon? Nope.