House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Running Shoes

Bought three pairs of runners from Decathlon for 20/30€. Sounds crazy, but one for general day wear, one for winter, one for summer. Actually I was just completely indecisive, but it's worked out well. They seem to be reasonable quality, although a lot of Decathlon's cheap clothes seem to be sub primark quality.

I do keep wondering if I should get a good pair though. The stuff from the major brands seems ridiculously expensive these days. They do do a few models under 100 quid, but the quality of the materials looks like they are made from paper and sticky tape. Asics and New Balance seem to turn up in the sales for under 50 quid occassionally.

Does the New Balance 520 or 590 look any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Balance-Training-Running-Shoes/dp/B01944DDC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1480007629&sr=1-1&keywords=new%2Bbalance%2B520&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Mens-M520v2-Running/dp/B00QLQ5M64

Also, its funny that insoles used to be slightly shaped and with arch support, but now they seem to all have just a bit of 1/4 inch foam in them, except you can buy separate insoles for a tenner plus. I feel like that's a scam there.

Also, why is it impossible to buy sensible shorts these days?

Depends on how much running you're doing.

• If it is just a few miles every now and then, I doubt it'll make much difference which ones you use.
  • If you're doing over about 10 miles a week (say) then you might want to get something which suits your foot and style.  You could go to a proper shop and get sorted out... or alternatively get whatever decent is on offer that week and see how you get on -- after the first few pairs you'll start to work out what works for you.
  • If you're doing loads more miles than this and you've been using £5 trainers without injury for some time then just ignore what anyone says and keep doing what you're doing...

But I agree with the statements on running shoe quality these days.  For years I ran on Nike Pegasus trainers -- they suited my style and I guess my style evolved to suit them. Starting in about 1990 I used to get ages out of a pair (on about 50 miles a week).  Anyway, about 5 years ago I started to notice that I'd only get to about 6 months before they were falling apart.  I persevered for a while, but eventually gave up on Nike and tried alternatives.  I eventually settled on Salomon, which appear to be much longer lasting and (importantly for me) they were cheaper than alternatives.  

I imagine that Nike realised that hardly anyone actually ran in their trainers any more, and therefore that they didn't have to make them so robust.

Proper running shoes are expensive.  Since I spent decent money on some I haven't had any injuries when I had before.

You could do worse than check out the following link (although they sting you with delivery cost). Having a large black friday sale at the moment, although I assume most of the retail world is doing similar.

Shoes

Edit to add: I only used the above company to buy another pair of shoes of the style I had already bought. I would always want to try a new style on to check the fit.

I like Brooks Cascadia 9 running shoes at present, as they are compatible with my feet. When I find a model of shoe I like, I sometimes buy several pairs, because the manufacturers re-fashion their range each year and I have to go through the entire process of finding shoes I like again.

Regarding shorts, Ron Hill Trail Cargo Shorts are the only sensible shorts on the market. These are the only shorts I've found with a pocket that can hold a few keys and a small wallet without flapping all over the place as I run. No other manufacturer seems to have grasped the usefulness of a pocket that actually works.

It is worth pointing out the 'obvious' that you can get assessed professionally at a proper shop (lots around, but you'd probably have to make a trip to your 'big town'), take a note of their recommendations, at least buy the pair they recommend at their not-reduced price (you have to pay them something for their advice), then forever-more replace as necessary with the exact same pair for the cheapest online price...

Decathlon do good shorts, not the cheapest one but the ones with the zip pocket at the back or side about £10-15. Innov-8 do some really nice ones but they are quite expensive. 

I like New Balance as they make nice big, wide fitting shoes with wide toe boxes to fit my wide feet.

I keep an eye on Amazon as they seem to regularly drop the price of numerous branded sports shoes - sometimes as little as £20 down from supposedly £100 plus. You just have to be looking at the right time. So you see something you like just keep an eye on it for a few weeks and you might be surprised by how much they drop.

Decathlon do a free gait analysis , have a check of your running style.

I run on the outside of the foot (? over-pronator - can't remember)

These are really good for me;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-ld-mens-2016-id_8352917.html

Bought a pair of these too for winter running;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-ld-aw-mens-2016-id_8367088.html

Disclaimer: Only started running and currently only do a single 5k run at the weekends, but I've found both pairs comfortable, give good support.

On 24.11.2016 at 8:46 PM, dgul said:

... and you've been using £5 trainers ...

I don't normally like to flaunt my wealth, but they cost 20/30€ PER PAIR, not altogether.

I did use the analysis thing in Decathlon as it was "self-service". It didn't actually say anything, but the pressure pics seem to indicate that my feet were fairly evenly balanced, and it seemed to recommend all of it's trainers, including the cheapos that I had bought.

On 25.11.2016 at 9:26 AM, ccc said:

I'm not going to go into my usual rant on the subject. :lol:

Holiday has mellowed you. Or did you step on a king crab while running barefoot?

Usually just buy whichever Saucony or Brooks ones are in the sale. Did a marathon earlier in the year with no injuries, so going to conclude from that entirely anecdotal evidence that gait analysis etc is unnecessary...

The most important thing is to avoid rapid increases in distance or frequency of runs as ligaments take much longer to build up than muscles. 

On 24/11/2016 at 10:48 PM, The Masked Tulip said:

I like New Balance as they make nice big, wide fitting shoes with wide toe boxes to fit my wide feet.

I keep an eye on Amazon as they seem to regularly drop the price of numerous branded sports shoes - sometimes as little as £20 down from supposedly £100 plus. You just have to be looking at the right time. So you see something you like just keep an eye on it for a few weeks and you might be surprised by how much they drop.

I also vote for NB. Certainly they seem to be the best for me to avoid injury- though it is also good practice to rotate between 3 pairs.

All this talk of running, puts the fear up me.:mellow:

What about socks? Like insoles, they seem to have gone down two routes, cheap and minimilist, and/or (allegedly) technologically advanced ridiculously expensive. Couldn't find any normal fuzzy sports socks in Decathlon, they just have those tiny little "sneaker socks" or alternatively, compression socks. Should I pay 15 quid for a pair of compression socks, or just buy a pair of running tights for 5 quid and cut the bottom 12 inches off and make my own?

Just buy ordinary, comfy cotton socks that fit and feel good. Only buy the ludicrously expensive ones when they are on sale - there were some on hotukdeals last week. AH, here they are - supposedly for cyclists but I suspect anyone can wear them ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-coolmax-race-socks-3-pack-aw15/rp-prod18123?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic47868&awc=2698_1480964069_e539695c4eb49603a4404785ddf0c79f

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/endura-coolmax-race-socks-3-pack-3-99-chain-reaction-cycles-2547939

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just buy ordinary, comfy cotton socks that fit and feel good. Only buy the ludicrously expensive ones when they are on sale - there were some on hotukdeals last week. AH, here they are - supposedly for cyclists but I suspect anyone can wear them ;)

Those ones are ankle socks. The trend for runners seems to be knee length socks that (I'm guessing from their name) compress the calf muscle

19 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

Those ones are ankle socks. The trend for runners seems to be knee length socks that (I'm guessing from their name) compress the calf muscle

Yes, I know - and one always has to go with the trend. Personally, I think adding sufficent magnesium, D3 and K2 would be preferable to the compression socks but, hey, let's not let real longterm health get in the way of expensive fashion :P

In all seriousness, if runners, cyclists, whoever, used dietary means to protect their muscles then they probably would not need this fad of compression.

The only things near to compression that I wear are the Helly Hansen dry tops which I fin dhave superb wicking capabilities.

Seen a couple of the more faster runners (e.g. the guys finishing 1st or 2nd) wearing the knee-length 'compression' socks on the 5k parkrun I do - think they look a bit daft and I'm not sure they're doing THAT much. I don't see many fell runners wearing them for instance.

I just bought a multi pack from decathlon of their own brand running socks, I do have some of the trainer-length ones which are a bit irritating, they sell a sort of longer version, they're fine and comfy. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/eliofeel-high-socks-id_8325547.html

4 squid for a couple of pairs, they work for me.

13 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

I just use whatever socks I can find in the drawer.

I usually try to find a matching pair without holes. When that fails I find other ones with holes that are not the same place as the first pair with holes. Eventually I am able to make a holeless sock.

I need to advertise on the internet for a gf who can darn socks.

Not quite sure what the 'compression' is meant to do. 

I've never seen a Kenyan track, road or cross country runner wearing them.

That just about nails it for me.

Most of the time I don't bother with socks when running.  Last couple of nights I've put some on, but only because it was <0.  

IMO compression socks are for the overweight with poor running form who are on the way to shin splints and use these to try and alleviate the symptoms.

I wouldn't by any barefoot running shoes either plantar facitis awaits.