House Price Crash Forum

Hight Street Desperation

Badger

HOLA441

Just popped into Reiss, Brighton & the guys pushing their sale were so over the top smarmy & 'friendly' it was embarrassing. One guy: hi how are you doing? have you had a good week?, me: its Monday, it's only just started, him: I meant last week, me: oh. On the way out the manager was saying, 'only a few hours of the sale left' and as we walked out the door: 'thats it then, thats it for another year'. :lol: I might have bought something if they weren't trying to crawl under my skin. Anyone else been a victim of over zealous staff in the current high st climate?

HOLA442

Just popped into Reiss, Brighton & the guys pushing their sale were so over the top smarmy & 'friendly' it was embarrassing. One guy: hi how are you doing? have you had a good week?, me: its Monday, it's only just started, him: I meant last week, me: oh. On the way out the manager was saying, 'only a few hours of the sale left' and as we walked out the door: 'thats it then, thats it for another year'. :lol: I might have bought something if they weren't trying to crawl under my skin. Anyone else been a victim of over zealous staff in the current high st climate?

So what are they saying, no more sales for a year? We'll see.

HOLA443

I can't stand pushy/smarmy sales staff. I like a good balance of being available but not too friendly.

Basically look like your available maybe acknowledge the customer with a smile or a nod but other than that wait to be asked for assistance. I hate being hassled, just leave me be but be ready if I ask for help.

HOLA444

I actually quite like their stuff, but it's mad expensive. As an aside, I got a coat from their Jan sale last year for £200 (savings) that I later learnt I friend of mine had bought on tick for £400 when it had first come out the previous September. I first saw it before Christmas at £300 but thought... nah, too rich for me. Goes to show, have patience & value your own money. Yes, that is relevant to the housing market!

Anyway, yeah... I noticed they had a guy outside their Canary Wharf branch handing out leaflets and touting for business all week last week. I nodded politely and kept my hands firmly in pocket while listening to whatever subversive beat combo rave pop music was blaring in my ears at the time.

It is unlike them, they have a reputation of being snooty.

HOLA445

Reiss is my favourite shop. The attention from their staff is not unusual, it is one of the driving characteristics of it and has been for years. They are at the top-end of the high street for fashion and consequently need to deliver a premium service.

This is symptomatic of the achilles heel of this site.

Not everything you observe is an epihpenomenon of the state of the economy or house market.

HOLA446

I can't stand pushy/smarmy sales staff. I like a good balance of being available but not too friendly.

Basically look like your available maybe acknowledge the customer with a smile or a nod but other than that wait to be asked for assistance. I hate being hassled, just leave me be but be ready if I ask for help.

quite right. You'd think they'd have mastered this by now.

Reiss is my favourite shop. The attention from their staff is not unusual, it is one of the driving characteristics of it and has been for years. They are at the top-end of the high street for fashion and consequently need to deliver a premium service.

Not everything you observe is an epihpenomenon of the state of the economy or house market.

I think they must just fancy you. They usually treat me like a piece of dog dirt that they just found on the sole of their shoe.

I also see this as being indicative of their top-end premium approach. Or perhaps they're intimidated by my snarling anti-consumerist invective as I browse the argyle v-neck sweaters...

HOLA447

I actually quite like their stuff, but it's mad expensive. As an aside, I got a coat from their Jan sale last year for £200 (savings) that I later learnt I friend of mine had bought on tick for £400 when it had first come out the previous September. I first saw it before Christmas at £300 but thought... nah, too rich for me. Goes to show, have patience & value your own money. Yes, that is relevant to the housing market!

There's the rub!

Saw an exquisite paisley shirt round my manor for £120 (Earl) and thought, that's a bit much for an evening shirt.

Waited till after Xmas...£90....waited till last weekend...£60.

:lol:

HOLA448

There's the rub!

Saw an exquisite paisley shirt round my manor for £120 (Earl) and thought, that's a bit much for an evening shirt.

the mark-up on these things must be incredible.

I do like a nice paisley shirt though. Stop me if I get too metrosexual. :blink:

HOLA449

Yeah, I had similar experiences in Reiss & Ted Baker (Covent Garden way). I am enjoying the sales this year... shame I spent so much on my Xmas holidays... am now in possession of more Paul Smith shirts than i'd normally be ;) Have noticed Reiss sales have been very good, even in Summer - they are too pricey and probably are feeling the pinch more than other premium brands as they don't yet have a good name (like Ted and Paul) to 'justify' the expense.

Nice to actually receive some decent & helpful customer service for once!

HOLA4410

I disagree, I visit the shop often (only buy occasionally due to prices) and I've always found thier staff rude and unhelpful, in my experience them asking how my week was would knock me over.

Maybe I look a bit less well off that you Donnie, maybe that's why I don;t get the service.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There's the rub!

I always knew the market for paisley shirts was ove hyped!

Edited by BARRY SCOTT

HOLA4418

There's the rub!

This is going to sound incredibly tightarsed, but... I buy shirts from my local Oxfam for about 8 quid a pop - all "quality" brands, always unworn (the last couple have had have still had original platic tags in) and a good fit (I don't wear ties).

I used to buy similar shirts at 70 quid a time...

HOLA4419

OK going back a couple of years - had an house mate who used to work in Reiss customer service somewhere in London. Constantly dealing with unsatisfied customers trying to return clothes that had fallen apart after a couple of wears. Manager would never allow a refund apparently so she quit the job and got bar work because it was less stressful.

Vowed never to buy any of their clothes after that. YMMV (and does by the sounds of it).

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Not even I know what that means.

How about "epiphenomenon" An accompanying phenomenon; a fortuitous, less important or irrelevant by-product.

HOLA4422

I work above Reiss in Brighton

Edited by Ritters

HOLA4423

OK going back a couple of years - had an house mate who used to work in Reiss customer service somewhere in London. Constantly dealing with unsatisfied customers trying to return clothes that had fallen apart after a couple of wears. Manager would never allow a refund apparently so she quit the job and got bar work because it was less stressful.

Vowed never to buy any of their clothes after that. YMMV (and does by the sounds of it).

I beg to differ.

What I would say about Reiss is that their clothes seem tailored for people of a tall, skinny build though. Extremely flattering clothes for the long-limbed amongst us.

HOLA4424

I beg to differ.

What I would say about Reiss is that their clothes seem tailored for people of a tall, skinny build though. Extremely flattering clothes for the long-limbed amongst us.

as are Zara, for those of a more thrifty and frugal (yet long-limbed) bent. Or at least they used to be, before I moved up a few notches in the social hierarchy and started buying my coathangers and spare shirt-buttons from Reiss.

Ah, the delights of tangential off-topic meanderings. Innit. Epiphenomenal!

Edited by Fancypants

HOLA4425

I beg to differ.

Indeed. Handy for a skinny feller like myself, who has yet to eat his RDB allowance (recommended daily burgers) as advised by Burger King.

Also, they do appear less shoddy. It's a real challenge to avoid polyester crap - particularly in the cheaper retailers.