House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Sucking electrickery

Chris Dos Santos, 29, fell onto the rail while walking on the track at Totton after drinking with friends.

--

Network Rail said it was publicising the story because December usually saw a 25% rise in alcohol-related incidents on the railway.

--

He may not remember clearly if he was under the influence.

When you make contact with a live wire or rail, you can be "stuck" on there because your muscles are paralysed - it could feel like you are being sucked onto the rail.

Hosting and reading this goon's analysis of his drunken near death experience is a waste of electricity.

Probably trying to nick the copper anyway.

Suction is explained by the recently-discovered boson particle called the Dyson.

Together with electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces, and gravity, suction is one of the five fundamental forces of nature..

My cousin used to work on the leccy lines.

There presence by a pylon would attract a fleet of flatbeds asking if they had 'Any metal they wanted rid off'.

They spend more time erecting anti pikey climbing protection than they do on their own safety. Idiots should have gone to school an learnd their numbers - 10,000 is a lot more than 10 V.

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

My cousin used to work on the leccy lines.

There presence by a pylon would attract a fleet of flatbeds asking if they had 'Any metal they wanted rid off'.

They spend more time erecting anti pikey climbing protection than they do on their own safety. Idiots should have gone to school an learnd their numbers - 10,000 is a lot more than 10 V.

I can be incredibly naive at times.  I've often wondered why there was anticlimbing devices on pylons. I thought it as about stopping kids from climbing them.  But then thought how would kids get to the middle of nowhere and also why would they bother.  Never crossed my mind that someone would be stupid enough to try and nick the copper wires from a pylon.  Duh.  

10 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I can be incredibly naive at times.  I've often wondered why there was anticlimbing devices on pylons. I thought it as about stopping kids from climbing them.  But then thought how would kids get to the middle of nowhere and also why would they bother.  Never crossed my mind that someone would be stupid enough to try and nick the copper wires from a pylon.  Duh.  

I'm guessing that kids must have wanted to climb them, otherwise we wouldn't have had to watch this sort of thing

2 minutes ago, ChumpusRex said:

I'm guessing that kids must have wanted to climb them, otherwise we wouldn't have had to watch this sort of thing

Remember that vaguely, must have been where I got the idea from

14 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

I believe HT cables are aluminium, not copper.

Pikeys to metal, like moths to light.

They dont care. Prices could fall to 0 and theyll still nick it.

I very nearly made it through 7 years of secondary school without any pupil in any year dying of anything, which I suspect is statistically very unlikely; the memorial plaques in the school chapel suggested as much. Then during the easter holidays before my A-Levels a lad in the year below me (but in my form) got pissed on his way home from a Geography field trip and for reasons still unknown decided to cross the tracks at his local station in the outer suburbs of SE London.

I don't know if the inquest established whether he'd been electrocuted to death before the train hit him. Sounds awful but I don't think I'd ever spoken to him and I had my exams to worry about.

I actually remember that public information video.

Don't play on the train tracks.

Apart from the electricity there might be a sleeping or texting driver coming for you.

22 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Why do we hear more of people wandering in front of trains (and live rails where they exist) than in front of lorries on motorways?

Trains cant brake or swerve so easily.

19 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Why do we hear more of people wandering in front of trains (and live rails where they exist) than in front of lorries on motorways?

Because it creates a greater impact.

I'll get me coat.

25 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Trains cant brake or swerve so easily.

If it's that, rather than people being more inclined to toddle along railways for some reason.