Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
GrizzlyDave

This could be huge! International law professor says we don't need to 'trigger' A50 to leave.

Recommended Posts

" in my recently published book The Suicide of Europe. "

So as befits a self-styled legal expert she is not at all partisan then and not trying to push a particular agenda! I am sure a few moments work could turn up another psuedo-qualified "expert" to push an exact opposite view that Article 50 is compulsory.

Actually though I thought the well-loved Michael Gove of the Brexit persuasion had already declared that people in the UK were sick of experts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

And how would you have done that?

Sent them a post it saying 'We've left. Thanks. If you want us to buy your stuff ring this number'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Essentially states don't have to adhere to any international laws on this line of thought.

The blow back would mean a complete unwinding of the British economy & state an a reneging free for all.

It's just not how politics, or state politics, or international relations work though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard this the other day on  the radio (can't remember who it was) but they said all we have to do is stop paying the subs and announce we're leaving:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should do it. Leave. Just Leave.

What could they do about it? Suddenly impose tariffs overnight? Stringent customs checks? European ports would be paralysed. What would happen is that we would continue trading as before for years until different arrangements could be implemented. Of Couse the VIs in the EU would want to throw a spanner in the works since otherwise the individual nations of the EU might see just how little we need the EU in order to do business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, the gardener said:

We should do it. Leave. Just Leave.

What could they do about it? Suddenly impose tariffs overnight? Stringent customs checks? European ports would be paralysed. What would happen is that we would continue trading as before for years until different arrangements could be implemented. Of Couse the VIs in the EU would want to throw a spanner in the works since otherwise the individual nations of the EU might see just how little we need the EU in order to do business.

This is the Essence of the article :-) it would be amazing :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

puerile 

Not really. I would genuinely just leave over night. Stop all EU payments overnight. Start negotiations the next morning. Nations can get in an orderly queue (or not, depending on choice). Borders closed.

We owe the EU nothing. There is no no legal process which can delay us leaving - certainly not from the EU side.

To me that is what voting to leave the EU actually means. It doesn't mean have a big faff for 3-5 yrs about how/when to leave the EU and then eventually leave when we get around to it. Possibly.

Edited by Errol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people actually mean what they are saying in this thread?

I'm not sure anymore. It scares me there are grown adults who don't actually think leaving the EU is actually quite complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Timak said:

Do people actually mean what they are saying in this thread?

I'm not sure anymore. It scares me there are grown adults who don't actually think leaving the EU is actually quite complicated.

Reunifying East and west Germany was complicated. Do you think they worried about process when they smashed the wall down?

2AC705C700000578-3459908-image-a-22_1456

Edited by GrizzlyDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Reunifying East and west Germany was complicated. Do you think they worried about process when they smashed the wall down?

OK.

So an Italian who has lived here for 10 years and owns a business wants to import some meat/cheese from Italy. What happens the day after immediate Brexit?

Can they import the goods? What about VAT? Are they even still allowed to live here? What about their British born children? What about their employees 50% british and 50% EU nationals? Are their Italian drivers licences still valid?  Can they still have access to the NHS? What about their business loans?

What about their English equivalents living in Rome running their IT company?

Just because you don't want to think about the details doesn't mean someone has to. It is incredibly complex.

Edited by Timak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Timak said:

Do people actually mean what they are saying in this thread?

I'm not sure anymore. It scares me there are grown adults who don't actually think leaving the EU is actually quite complicated.

But, but, but, 'mocracy. We won get over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Timak said:

OK.

So an Italian who has lived here for 10 years and owns a business wants to import some meat/cheese from Italy. What happens the day after immediate Brexit?

Can they import the goods? What about VAT? Are they even still allowed to live here? What about their British born children? What about their employees 50% british and 50% EU nationals? Are their Italian drivers licences still valid?  Can they still have access to the NHS? What about their business loans?

What about their English equivalents living in Rome running their IT company?

Just because you don't want to think about the details doesn't mean someone has to. It is incredibly complex.

Yes I get that. Surgically removing cancer is also difficult; but worth the risk to save a life.

I suppose in this instance, with the UK ref, nothing has changed; which is different to the wall coming down (you can't put that gene back in the bottle when people are piling over it to freedom on the other side).

Because nothing substantive has happened, remainers think the gene can go back in, and that the complexities and cost are sufficient to change people's opinion. So another referendum might make us all turncoat and vote remain.

i don't agree with that. Brexit voters are behind that EU wall, and want to bring it down to the freedom beyond. We know it will be hard, and we will graze ourselves climbing over it. We will have to work out who we are and what we will do when we get to the other side. But I'd climb over broken fvcking glass and walk through tear gas to get there. Who's with me?

Edited by GrizzlyDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

International law is largely irrelevent - all laws are, if there's no-one with a big enough boot to kick people into line. However just leaving and saying "sod it" really should be a last resort. The responsible thing is to manage as smooth a transition as can be done, annoying everyone else to the least degree possible (without bending over just to keep them happy, no matter how petulant they are).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Errol said:

There is no no legal process which can delay us leaving - certainly not from the EU side.

What is scary is that you do not think the legal process on the UK side means anything.  If you don't believe in the rule of law then you don't share any British values that I would recognise.  You're traitorous scum.

Edited by thecrashingisles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have already triggered article 50, the fact we haven't means they're going to do what they want which isn't leave (and use police brutality with subsequent riots). Personally, I think Cameron should be arrested and prosecuted for leaving his post after such a major referendum. Talk about yellow bellied! It may even concentrate the mind of the next PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janch said:

I heard this the other day on  the radio (can't remember who it was) but they said all we have to do is stop paying the subs and announce we're leaving:)

Exactly, what are they going to do if we dont follow EU rules for leaving - kick us out ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Exactly, what are they going to do if we dont follow EU rules for leaving - kick us out ?.

Yes we could be just like North Korea and thumb our nose at the rest of the world.  Who cares, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   92 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.