House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

Time travel

Do you think it will ever be possible to travel back or forward in time? What time would you travel back to? I'd go back to 1992. Was one of my happiest years. Would love to relive it. 

That would need time and conciousness travel surely?

Or it would be you now, simply existing back then.

Not you then, then.

I need a drink

13 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Do you think it will ever be possible to travel back or forward in time? What time would you travel back to? I'd go back to 1992. Was one of my happiest years. Would love to relive it. 

I wouldn't bother, you'd probably hate it.

31 minutes ago, chronyx said:

That would need time and conciousness travel surely?

Or it would be you now, simply existing back then.

Not you then, then.

I need a drink

Yes, that's the rub.

56 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Yup, me too 1992 was a blast for me too.

I don't pretend to understand it but the theory is that you can only go back in time as far as the point of the first invention of a time machine.

So if you invent one you can go back to the point you discovered it so it wouldn't be that useful.

Changing your future is more interesting; you only realise how much or how little you've chosen and affected your own destiny by meeting people who have had a much less / much more interesting life than you.  Why haven't you sailed around the world single handed? Other people do and they are no different to you.

I don't think it will ever be possible.

I'd go back to the mid 1990s when I was in my twenties, take lots of drugs and go to clubs that don't exist any more.

Actually, on the point about sailing around the world, I'd love to do this. In theory. In practice, since a dream I had many years ago where I fell off a ship and got sucked into the propeller at the back, I've had a phobia about travelling on water.

There's an audiobook by someone who elected to do exactly that - sail around the world on his boat. It sounded great.

In the first chapter the boat is hit by the mother of all storms and he almost drowns.

I stopped it there.

I don't want to sail around the World so I haven't. I've done much of the things I have wanted to do though. 

I can happily say if I die tomorrow I certainly 'live life' more than 99% of people out there.

I hope I don't die tomorrow mind :huh:

I can't take you back to 1992, but I can take you back to 1989 for 5:58 minutes. Don't worry, it's impossible to meet yourself and cause a paradox which destroys the universe space time continuum.

Enjoy.

4 hours ago, ccc said:

I like the idea UFO's are time machines from the future.

I have a quite advanced theory about that.  wraps up all sorts of loose ends.

10 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Forward's easy..... see!

:D

Forward is more than possible given time dilation, but it would involve travelling at near light speed for any meaningful time period jumps

Technically you don't need a time machine to actually witness events in history...

All you need to be able to do is travel faster than light (which I believe IS now theoretically possible?) to somewhere that is, for example 2000 light years away, then have a telescope powerful enough to look back at earth and hey presto you can watch the Roman invasion of Britain take place before your very eyes.

Simple.

There aren't any reasons to think that it is possible (short of waiting if you want to go forward, possibly using relativistic effects to speed that up). Anyway the last thing I'd want to do is go forward. Possibly the 1960s. If it's just a sight-seeing tour without having to deal with the living conditions perhaps the 18th-19th century (although I'd put up with the living conditions of that if I took enough information back with me to make myself very rich), with a bit of medieval thrown in, and a brief visit to a few thousand years ago. I'd be more inclined to send a remote camera to have a look at dinosaurs than go myself.

3 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

The time travel machine is hidden in plain sight. 

It is known locally as the Isle of Wight ferry.

So true. I have to face that particular time machine tomorrow. I'm going back to the future on the North Island. :wacko:

11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't pretend to understand it but the theory is that you can only go back in time as far as the point of the first invention of a time machine.

So if you invent one you can go back to the point you discovered it so it wouldn't be that useful.

Changing your future is more interesting; you only realise how much or how little you've chosen and affected your own destiny by meeting people who have had a much less / much more interesting life than you.  Why haven't you sailed around the world single handed? Other people do and they are no different to you.

Knowing my luck this would happen

8286969175_e30302148c_b.jpg

I suppose you could argue that we just don't have Time Machines in this time line, they exist but the instant they appear a new alternate time line is created where they do exist. So they may be possible in our future, but we will never see one in "our" past. 

Linking to science doesn't have all the answers thread, I really don't think we know about the world around us as much as you might think we do. Go back to any point in time in the past we always knew everything about the universe in great detail (most of the time it was wrong, but it was supported by plenty of "evidence"). As we stand now it doesn't look like time travel is possible, doesn't mean we won't understand the universe in a different way in the future. 

9 hours ago, 200p said:

I can't take you back to 1992, but I can take you back to 1989 for 5:58 minutes. Don't worry, it's impossible to meet yourself and cause a paradox which destroys the universe space time continuum.

Enjoy.

Just like now really ... minus the internet, smartphones, speed cameras etc.

Here's my time travel trip. I'll be somewhere in this throng, aged 14 ... a vanished world:

I think the best bet is to watch "Life on Mars". Take yourself back to 1973. Mind you I don't remember that much from then since that was the year in which I was born.