House Price Crash Forum

US warns of 'heightened' risk of terror attacks on Christmas markets in Europe.

workingpoor

HOLA441

A Christmas market scene The US warned travellers to be vigilant at Christmas markets CREDIT: ALAMY

•  

The US has warned its citizens that Europe is facing a “heightened risk of terror attacks” at Christmas markets and other seasonal holiday events. 

The US State Department said it had “credible information” that Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) and al-Qaeda were planning attacks and focusing on the “upcoming holiday season”.

It specifically warned American travellers to exercise caution at “holiday festivals, events and outdoor markets

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/22/us-warns-heightened-risk-terror-attacks-christmas-markets-europe/

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I keep wanting to go to that one in Austria where the Sound of Music was set - you know, a few miles down the road from Adolf's Wolf's Lair.

But I have been avoiding it out of fears of islamics murdering visitors.

It is beautiful countryside around there but, IMO, much better to visit in the height of summer. Particularly as you are into your hiking and cycling.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It is beautiful countryside around there but, IMO, much better to visit in the height of summer. Particularly as you are into your hiking and cycling.

Austria is very nice in winter if you like skiing. Not many ROPers on the slopes, they don't like the Glüehwein!

HOLA4412
9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Hmm, that would also allow me to put on my Julie Andrews' Maria outfit and run across the mountains.

Joking aside, I have tended to avoid that part of the world due to their somewhat fervent belief in Nazism. I wonder how my Polish surname would go down.

(I was having tea in a cafe last week when a lady, 70s, came and sat next to me with her adult, 40s something, daughter. I offered to move a chair for her and was asked about my accent and facial features. I replied that my dad was a Polish soldier who came here in WW2. Both women then began to speak in German and basically rubbished me - my German is not brilliant but good enough to know what was going on.

I decided to bite my tongue but, wow, what b*tches. She later mentioned Colonge and I had to refrain from mentioning the war.

The older woman then went on about how everything - she has been living here for 50 years - is worse in the UK than in Germany. The weather, the cities, the countryside, the health service. I felt like I was sat next to some former member of the Hitler Youth.

Rant over.)

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, davidg said:

You'd have to be mad to go to any Christmas market this year, or any such gathering. They've just arrested an ISIS terror cell in France - people who have come in with the immigration waves it seems.

You have to be mad to go to any Christmas market at any time especially in the UK. I got dragged to the edinburgh one last year. Not only was everything very expensive for what was in effect cheap tat but it was rammed with folk and you had to queue up for ages for everything.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
5 hours ago, lulu said:

You have to be mad to go to any Christmas market at any time especially in the UK. I got dragged to the edinburgh one last year. Not only was everything very expensive for what was in effect cheap tat but it was rammed with folk and you had to queue up for ages for everything.

Pretty much this. I like the idea of markets but over the course of my lifetime they have changed from places that were significantly cheaper than shops to being more expensive; and in the case of theme markets like Christmas markets: considerably more expensive.

My only purchase is usually a cup of coffee.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Pretty much this. I like the idea of markets but over the course of my lifetime they have changed from places that were significantly cheaper than shops to being more expensive; and in the case of theme markets like Christmas markets: considerably more expensive.

My only purchase is usually a cup of coffee.

...I like a gluhwein in nice festive mug souvenir..... don't buy anything else. ;)

HOLA4418
12 hours ago, davidg said:

You'd have to be mad to go to any Christmas market this year, or any such gathering. They've just arrested an ISIS terror cell in France - people who have come in with the immigration waves it seems.

Surprise, surprise. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Have we reached peak Christmas Market?  The one in Birmingham went from a few stalls with a pleasant atmosphere, to taking over half the shopping area with the vibe of the alcoholics area of a weatherspoons pub!!

Visited the one in Nuremberg a few years ago, that was totally stupid, huge and completely packed.  It actually took away from my visit to the city not added to it.   Sad to say, but it would be a very good terror target.

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, reddog said:

Have we reached peak Christmas Market?  The one in Birmingham went from a few stalls with a pleasant atmosphere, to taking over half the shopping area with the vibe of the alcoholics area of a weatherspoons pub!!

Visited the one in Nuremberg a few years ago, that was totally stupid, huge and completely packed.  It actually took away from my visit to the city not added to it.   Sad to say, but it would be a very good terror target.

The one on the South Bank last year had a very nice atmosphere, but was selling really low quality junk at super-premium prices.

HOLA4422
6 hours ago, reddog said:

I've always said that if there ever was a reason for various groups to integrate with the local culture it's that when you become radicalised you might have an idea on what makes a better target. While not wanting to sound like a nut job but I do often think, "that doesn't sound like many" when reports of terrorist attacks come through.

On the question at hand, as t1234 said, no point worrying about this sort of stuff, the Yanks seem to forget we've been getting blown up in this country for donkeys years, we are well used to dealing with it as a threat.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived