Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

US warns of 'heightened' risk of terror attacks on Christmas markets in Europe.

Recommended Posts

 

A Christmas market scene The US warned travellers to be vigilant at Christmas markets CREDIT: ALAMY

  •  

The US has warned its citizens that Europe is facing a “heightened risk of terror attacks” at Christmas markets and other seasonal holiday events. 

The US State Department said it had “credible information” that Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) and al-Qaeda were planning attacks and focusing on the “upcoming holiday season”.

It specifically warned American travellers to exercise caution at “holiday festivals, events and outdoor markets

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/22/us-warns-heightened-risk-terror-attacks-christmas-markets-europe/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That picture looks like the market at Köln Cathedral. Great market. Happily I wasn't planning to visit this December. 

I hope the warnings turn turn out to be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd have to be mad to go to any Christmas market this year, or any such gathering. They've just arrested an ISIS terror cell in France - people who have come in with the immigration waves it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep wanting to go to that one in Austria where the Sound of Music was set - you know, a few miles down the road from Adolf's Wolf's Lair.

But I have been avoiding it out of fears of islamics murdering visitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I keep wanting to go to that one in Austria where the Sound of Music was set - you know, a few miles down the road from Adolf's Wolf's Lair.

But I have been avoiding it out of fears of islamics murdering visitors.

It is beautiful countryside around there but, IMO, much better to visit in the height of summer. Particularly as you are into your hiking and cycling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It is beautiful countryside around there but, IMO, much better to visit in the height of summer. Particularly as you are into your hiking and cycling.

Austria is very nice in winter if you like skiing. Not many ROPers on the slopes, they don't like the Glüehwein!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It is beautiful countryside around there but, IMO, much better to visit in the height of summer. Particularly as you are into your hiking and cycling.

 

Hmm, that would also allow me to put on my Julie Andrews' Maria outfit and run across the mountains.

Joking aside, I have tended to avoid that part of the world due to their somewhat fervent belief in Nazism. I wonder how my Polish surname would go down.

(I was having tea in a cafe last week when a lady, 70s, came and sat next to me with her adult, 40s something, daughter. I offered to move a chair for her and was asked about my accent and facial features. I replied that my dad was a Polish soldier who came here in WW2. Both women then began to speak in German and basically rubbished me - my German is not brilliant but good enough to know what was going on.

I decided to bite my tongue but, wow, what b*tches. She later mentioned Colonge and I had to refrain from mentioning the war.

The older woman then went on about how everything - she has been living here for 50 years - is worse in the UK than in Germany. The weather, the cities, the countryside, the health service. I felt like I was sat next to some former member of the Hitler Youth.

Rant over.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davidg said:

You'd have to be mad to go to any Christmas market this year, or any such gathering. They've just arrested an ISIS terror cell in France - people who have come in with the immigration waves it seems.

You have to be mad to go to any Christmas market at any time especially in the UK. I got dragged to the edinburgh one last year. Not only was everything very expensive for what was in effect cheap tat but it was rammed with folk and you had to queue up for ages for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lulu said:

You have to be mad to go to any Christmas market at any time especially in the UK. I got dragged to the edinburgh one last year. Not only was everything very expensive for what was in effect cheap tat but it was rammed with folk and you had to queue up for ages for everything.

Pretty much this. I like the idea of markets but over the course of my lifetime they have changed from places that were significantly cheaper than shops to being more expensive; and in the case of theme markets like Christmas markets: considerably more expensive.

My only purchase is usually a cup of coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbury had a very uninspired Xmas market in the town's park for a couple of years. Basically, a load of wooden sheds hired out to various market sellers. Free entry for the public. Became known locally as Shedland.

No doubt it would be a prime ISIS target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Pretty much this. I like the idea of markets but over the course of my lifetime they have changed from places that were significantly cheaper than shops to being more expensive; and in the case of theme markets like Christmas markets: considerably more expensive.

My only purchase is usually a cup of coffee.

...I like a gluhwein in nice festive mug souvenir..... don't buy anything else. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, davidg said:

You'd have to be mad to go to any Christmas market this year, or any such gathering. They've just arrested an ISIS terror cell in France - people who have come in with the immigration waves it seems.

Surprise, surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, winkie said:

...I like a gluhwein in nice festive mug souvenir..... don't buy anything else. ;)

Glühwein it is. I still have the lidded steins for glühwein and use them every Christmas Day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we reached peak Christmas Market?  The one in Birmingham went from a few stalls with a pleasant atmosphere, to taking over half the shopping area with the vibe of the alcoholics area of a weatherspoons pub!!

 

Visited the one in Nuremberg a few years ago, that was totally stupid, huge and completely packed.  It actually took away from my visit to the city not added to it.   Sad to say, but it would be a very good terror target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, reddog said:

Have we reached peak Christmas Market?  The one in Birmingham went from a few stalls with a pleasant atmosphere, to taking over half the shopping area with the vibe of the alcoholics area of a weatherspoons pub!!

 

Visited the one in Nuremberg a few years ago, that was totally stupid, huge and completely packed.  It actually took away from my visit to the city not added to it.   Sad to say, but it would be a very good terror target.

The one on the South Bank last year had a very nice atmosphere, but was selling really low quality junk at super-premium prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reddog said:

Have we reached peak Christmas Market?  The one in Birmingham went from a few stalls with a pleasant atmosphere, to taking over half the shopping area with the vibe of the alcoholics area of a weatherspoons pub!!

 

Visited the one in Nuremberg a few years ago, that was totally stupid, huge and completely packed.  It actually took away from my visit to the city not added to it.   Sad to say, but it would be a very good terror target.

I've always said that if there ever was a reason for various groups to integrate with the local culture it's that when you become radicalised you might have an idea on what makes a better target. While not wanting to sound like a nut job but I do often think, "that doesn't sound like many" when reports of terrorist attacks come through.

On the question at hand, as t1234 said, no point worrying about this sort of stuff, the Yanks seem to forget we've been getting blown up in this country for donkeys years, we are well used to dealing with it as a threat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, t1234 said:

F'ck that just get on with your life

Good advice. Stop worrying, accept that sh1t happens sometimes, and don't let trying to prevent it trade living for existance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RentingForever said:

Thanks for that. I'm off to two this weekend. I *was* looking forward to them :blink:

Don't forget to pack the Kevlar. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Don't forget to pack the Kevlar. Good luck. 

Yeah don't worry it will be a blast! Nothing beats a good blow out at Christmas. :unsure:

Erm... You stand more chance of getting run over. Erm.... :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   36 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.