House Price Crash Forum
DavidGold

Comparison Of House Price Surveys

These are some notes I've compiled to date about the different house price surveys. These are work in progress as I have several more sources to check out. Please tell me what you think, particularly if you have any more detail to add / sources of information. (Not shown but I have viewed are the home websites for the main surveys.)

Word 97 format: will open in Wordpad

Comparison_of_House_Price_Surveys_v1.doc

Comparison_of_House_Price_Surveys_v1.doc

Guest Fiddlesticks

These are some notes I've compiled to date about the different house price surveys. These are work in progress as I have several more sources to check out. Please tell me what you think, particularly if you have any more detail to add / sources of information. (Not shown but I have viewed are the home websites for the main surveys.)

Word 97 format: will open in Wordpad

Thanks DavidGold, I've never got to the bottom of the differences between the different indexes.

If you want a more enthusiastic response from the board you need to scatter "VI" liberally around the document, cast severe doubt upon the the idea of seasonal adjustment (unless it's a downwards adjustment), and convey a suggestion that they're all involved in a blatant conspiracy ;-)

There tends to be more analytical discussion on the Motley Fool board - they'd probably be interested in this and the 'property cycle model' post

Thanks for this! I'm also among those who keeps confusing the different indices, and I have saved your document on my HD.

Good work!

Have forwarded to my network of house-hunters.

Worth showing to any parent quoting the press at you.

Pleased you like it. I understand what you say about attachments and key points: it's a b****r there's no virus scanning the same as Yahoo. I'll carry on the work and bear your comments in mind - I would like to spread the word.

The only thing I would change is the Rightmove section. The prices are initial asking prices. If a vendor reduces the price, it is not shown in the statistics.

Interesting point Jason, I'll see how I can incorporate it.

Thanks beerhunter. I haven't had a chance to look beyond the 'contents' page but it looks very good and I've saved it to research later.