House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorkins

On Enjoying As Much Online Time As Possible

Let's face it, the real world is a bit crap.

£4+ a pint in the pub, £10 for a cinema ticket, shops and high streets rammed with mouthbreathers who can barely walk in a straight line, restaurant food costing 5 times more than a better meal you could cook yourself, stresshead traffic and air pollution on the roads, cold and wet weather, dull and shallow conversations with real life acquaintances.

Online is so much better. You can learn almost anything that human beings have ever figured out, you have access to endless entertainment, you can chat with likeminded people or debate with the other side, and you can keep in touch with anybody you know wherever they are in the world.

The things that you list are city things. 

The far better alternatives to being Online are country things.

Urban life is unhealthy physically and mentally.

7 hours ago, juvenal said:

But you can't cadge a drink off 'online'..

....but you can learn how to make one. ;)

In fact l have learned more from the internet than ever learned at school......it is the book of knowledge that just keeps on giving.....

33 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Very true.......best of both worlds, everything you need both inside and out....;)

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

What rubbish.

People who live in cities walk a lot more and are actually closer to their surroundings. They live longer.

Country folk spend half their time in a car. Always felt closer to nature when living in a city.

I think this is a satirical thread, but please I don't mean to offend if it is not. Moderators please delete this post if I am. And ban me for life on HPC for I am not worthy. :D:mellow::(

(Genuflects, and shuffles backwards away into the darkness)

I agree with Frank. Sounds like a list of suburban problems :) Except the weather.

I do like being online but I do enjoy a break and to get outdoors. Nothing can replace that. If I was to choose between never having access to the internet again or never being able to walk in the countryside I'd choose the former in an instant

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're things that we're actively working to spread thoughout as much of the country as possible, it's called "progress." I fully agree with you about urban life but we live in an urbanised society that struggles with the concept of anything else mattering, and tries to push its poisonous tendrils as far and wide as possible (not got as bad as £4 a pint yet, but heading that way).

There's great offline stuff out there, but it needs to be spread into more lives.

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I agree with Frank. Sounds like a list of suburban problems :) Except the weather.

I do like being online but I do enjoy a break and to get outdoors. Nothing can replace that. If I was to choose between never having access to the internet again or never being able to walk in the countryside I'd choose the former in an instant

This is really far too tempting for me, heading into my "usual grumbles" territory :) I'd say exactly the same about just about everything that's appeared in the last half century or so - nice to have (sometimes) but hardly fundamentally essential. Don't come to rely on them, don't come to think that they're really all that great, and try to keep in touch with the basics that are necessary for a happy life - not having to worry about survival, then good company and good surroundings. Clearly I'm not great at that, being a miserable so-and-so, but I still think the point stands.

Interesting. My "usual grumble" different; it is that we have easy access to the greatest archive that has ever existed , yet most people use it to stalk ex-partnerson Facebook. Seems like a total waste of time for most people.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Interesting. My "usual grumble" different; it is that we have easy access to the greatest archive that has ever existed , yet most people use it to stalk ex-partnerson Facebook. Seems like a total waste of time for most people.

Probably because most of the time most of us have no actual need for that archive. Personally I'm a bit torn on it, I find it very useful at times but also have a nagging feeling that it trivialises knowledge too much (as well as getting used as a substitute brain).

9 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

What rubbish.

People who live in cities walk a lot more and are actually closer to their surroundings. They live longer.

Country folk spend half their time in a car. Always felt closer to nature when living in a city.

Don't know about walking more but there is a difference in nature in the towns and cities, like urban foxes, rats, feral pigeons and parakeets....the air is not so sweet.....you could say you are closer to humanity a wifi and phone conection in the city, closer to fast food and a strong coffee when the going gets tough.....all in it together. ;)

8 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

What rubbish.

Well, the countryside only "works" with few few people living here, so I'm not about to argue with that. Stay in the cities, people.

19 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Online is so much better. You can learn almost anything that human beings have ever figured out, you have access to endless entertainment, you can chat with likeminded people or debate with the other side, and you can keep in touch with anybody you know wherever they are in the world.

And there's pr0n. Don't forget the pr0n.

16 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

What rubbish.

Ah, but have you ever seen a weasel, a barn owl or a nightjar from the comfort of your own home just by looking out of the window?

Hmm. That rather reinforces your point.

I would walk more but we live on a hill.

23 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Drugs in the real world are much better

Oh, quite. But you can order those online too. You'll find them catalogued in between the AK47s and the kidnapped Taiwanese sex slaves.

17 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Do we have that access though?

When I tried to use the internet for proper academic research fifteen years ago the level of knowledge was very superficial and most of my time was sent in the library with books and periodicals.

I also have tried to find the detail behind coastal / sea level change that supported the figures quoted in newspaper articles about expected number of homes lost per county with no luck.

So in my direct experience we do not have that access; it only seems like we do.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Do we have that access though?

When I tried to use the internet for proper academic research fifteen years ago the level of knowledge was very superficial and most of my time was sent in the library with books and periodicals.

I also have tried to find the detail behind coastal / sea level change that supported the figures quoted in newspaper articles about expected number of homes lost per county with no luck.

So in my direct experience we do not have that access; it only seems like we do.

Depends on your field.

arXiv is good for free reprints maths, physics and computer science.

Pubmed is good for finding biomedical research, Pubmed central is free and slowly journals in that area are moving to open access publishing. To get access to everything you probably need an academic/biotech/pharma institutional login. 

No idea about earth sciences/humanities.

Scihub is a pirate site for scientific papers, using that would be immoral and illegal.

10 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Depends on your field.

arXiv is good for free reprints maths, physics and computer science.

Pubmed is good for finding biomedical research, Pubmed central is free and slowly journals in that area are moving to open access publishing. To get access to everything you probably need an academic/biotech/pharma institutional login. 

No idea about earth sciences/humanities.

Scihub is a pirate site for scientific papers, using that would be immoral and illegal.

It was archaeology / history which tends to lend itself to popular digests being available online rather than the hard data required for research which has a very limited audience.